Alert: Unfair use of Power

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by InsigneForBalonD'or, Apr 29, 2015.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Giving me notice of what? I'm not saying you can't be right just because you went on a race baiting troll, but when it comes to your very poor opinion of mod's judgement on what is bigoted and what is not, I'm not sure you have tons of credibility. Is that not fair?

2. vesuviani

vesuviani Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #102 vesuviani, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
    Alright sure I'm a racist.

I'm giving you notice, you know what you're doing. I'm very good at it myself.
    It's clever.
    What I have done in here is advise my fellow friends to walk away from the argument. One would think, someone with the title of moderator would be in support of that. Instead you choose to bring up my previous indiscretion and write me off.
    Great work.
    Are we done here or not?

InsigneForBalonD'or and La Magica repped this.
  3. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes sorry, point is you should know you cant conclude someone is racist based on posts on a forum, you can't name a site bigsoccer, attract a whole bunch of soccer heads, and then ban the ones that don't know how to discuss politics... They are here to discuss soccer! That's why I suggested a subforum ban because even if the guy is racist, I don't see how that affects his opinion on soccer matches, especially in this case since it really seems to be a matter of interpretation

4. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    #104 Falc, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015
  5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  6. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

You guys are willing to assume the worst about a fair and circumspect moderator who oversees a very difficult forum and you don't seem to care that both you and Sal have engaged in race baiting trolls in the past. Explain to me why you shouldn't be written off when it comes to discussions about race? I'm open to hear it.

Did you apologize for the racial trolling? I may have missed that.

7. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

We don't permanantly ban folks for incidents of inappropriate content - and how bad the post and how the individual reacts to our actions matters a lot. Were Sal acting as outraged and uncomprehending of what occurred as his supporters, he'd face a bigger hurdle in returning. But if we only banned people from forums, they could go to other forums and post bigoted comments with very little consequence to their regular posting.

This case is actually a good argument against what you are saying - some of these folks have a rivalry thread and have used it to launch race baiting trolls on other forums here - it's a pretty good argument against just forum banning that activity.

8. vesuviani

vesuviani Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No you didn't miss anything.
    I didn't apologize.
    Besides how could I apologize if I've been banned from just about every other section other than Italy. Lol
    Do expect me to apologize to you?
    That's some chip you got on your shoulder.
    Maybe you've missed something.
    Here it is again, hopefully for the last time.
    I'm here to tell my friends to back off of this and let it go, it is done.

Would you rather this end or do you just like the attention?

It's finished. he still banned. it's fine. it's over.

What the hell else do you want?

Oh wait I trolled on the Internet.

I'm not here to discuss race I don't give a ********.

The day I have to explain myself to you

InsigneForBalonD'or repped this.
  9. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Are you stating that there are appropriate times to use that word? That somehow it is not offensive? Animal is a common word with no defined meaning of racism. The other word is nothing but racial. The double standards are not acceptable.

10. vesuviani

vesuviani Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly just shut this ********ing thread down and be done with this

11. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You think all uses are equal?

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think some words are worse than others, regardless of whom makes that speech. I have laid out the case for Sal. You will not accept it. Then we leave it at that. But the double standard that has been exercised disappoints me.

13. vesuviani

vesuviani Member+

Jan 7, 2013
    Toronto
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You have a full rivalry sub forum that you try to hide that has full USA vs Mexico threads with nothing but race bait.. I wouldn't go there. Furthermore, I would also say that telling a soccer guy that he can discuss riots fueled by race issues and then being surprised when he isnt as politically correct as youd expect is ignorant. Maybe you should get to know your target audience a little better bud. This is a soccer forum, not exactly full of diplomats tbh...

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

It's a moderated site - if you want a place where people can say whatever they want, the conversations usually deteriote quickly. Lots of soccer fans can talk about sensitive issues without crossing any lines, but appreciate being called ignorant for trying to uphold some standards.

16. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    If you are unwilling or unable to understand the difference, there's not much I can do about that.

The Devil's Architect repped this.
  17. DynamoEAR

DynamoEAR Member+

May 30, 2011
    HoustAtlantaDMV
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Howdy. Where from?

18. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    dark knight actually dropped a "some of my best friends are..." in a "who's racister" thread?
    Instant classic.

19. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    There are people who took an important lesson away from the Kaminsky incident.
    And then there's dark knight.

20. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You don't find it at all sad that on a day that many are weeping in celebration because they feel like they are getting a small amount of justice, you guys are personally attacking me simply for asking that you not call fellow human beings animals?

Explain to me how the Kaminsky incident shows that all uses are equal and how it's even remotely analogous to what we are talking about. I look forward to being enlightened.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    It's also ironic that a group of folks up in arms about the misinterpretation of the meaning of their friend are so poor at understanding any kind of nuance or difference in situations.

Can I assume you are accusing me of being bigoted against Italians?

22. artielange84

artielange84 Member+

Aug 7, 2014
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You seem to take away only what you want from peoples posts

Its ignorant to think everyone on a sports forum will be able to discuss race issues in a civil manner. You can try to uphold the standard but it probably won't work.

I told you, it seems to me that your goal is to keep a clean site where anyone can feel comfortable to discuss the sport and you're also looking to sell some t-shirts. Delete the content and move on. Anything more (especially this, you explaining for a day and a half why you're right and everyone is wrong) is defo power tripping. You're trying to "teach a lesson" or something, it seems

23. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Appreciate your suggestion but if people need a lesson that they shouldn't post racist comments, I can live with that. As for me power-tripping and being ignorant - okay.

It's really easy to avoid me on this site - don't post racist stuff, and if you manage to offend some people, just apologize, pledge not to do it again, and move on. Why is that difficult?

This site has too many different groups to just delete racism, shrug and move on. I really don't think that suggestion is practical. Heck, there's still bad blood from a forum invasion from like 15 years ago that went unpunished.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Good morning. I did not know who Sal was before he came into our forum to post one particular post. It was brought to my attention when other posters and mods complained about his post. I made a decision, and I can assure that I made it after careful thought and after consulting with other mods. I explained my decision to Sal by PM. After that, I left it in the hands of the super mods, and they followed up.

I never had any interaction with you. I don't think you even know who I am. If you feel that I abused my power, then tell me -and try to do it concisely- what you would have done in my place and why. I promise that I will answer.

25. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]