Under Armour

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by metros11, Sep 6, 2013.

1. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    zippered boots...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

derbyyank13 repped this.
  2. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    Eeesh. Well I guess I'll see what they look like in person soon...

3. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Wowser. Kudos for not just following the trend and adding a sock. I am very intrigued (though i think the zipper will be either very annoying, or break after 3 wears).

I have been saying under armour and puma needed to spice up their lines, with nike and adidas making futuristic looking boots and using new materials like flyknit. puma followed suit. UA decided to go their own path.

anyone have any details?

4. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    I haven't met with my sales rep yet so no. Was going to text him about it.

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    If it is what I saw at the Convention, it will have boa lacing as well as the zipper...going to be a disaster IMO, but they did move the zipper (not taking credit, but I suggested it heavily) away from dead center.

Nice to UMBC getting a lot of testing boots...underrated MD program.

6. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Didnt you say there will be a 200 dollar model that is more traditional but with the same high quality upper?

jayc23 repped this.
  7. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was what I was told at the convention; if that has changed since I dont' know for sure. From what I recall the zipper was a late 2017 to early 2018 model. It is not in the UA Fall 17 catalog, at least not the one they make available to sponsored colleges that aren't UMD, ND, UMBC, or Navy. Those four get special treatment for their status and or proximity to Baltimore (bar ND) - we're talking SMU boots for uppers and outsoles, test models, college specific SMU colorways and so on. When I mentioned the SMU boots (outsole and uppers) to the UA guys at the convention they acted like I just told all the kids in line for Santa that he sat on a throne of lies while smelling like beef and cheese...then they showed me the 2018 stuff, lol. I didn't see an AG outsole, but was told it is coming along with more k-leather via Zea's demand.

The new 2017 CF Force is going to be really good, IMO. They are making it more understated and the new upper is great. Simple white/black and red/white to start in winter then a black one in the summer. Will be getting each colorway for sure.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  8. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    What is this convention, and are normal people allowed to go?

Has their 2017 catalog come out yet? The only thing I've seen or so far are the 2017 UA and Nike golf catalogs so far (I like to golf when not playing footy)

9. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nevermind I found it. The new clutch fit looks nice. The zip boot mentioned above must be a 2018 release as it's not even sketched out in there

10. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    What are they changing on the clutchfit or is it more of an aesthetic change?

11. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
  12. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think it actually looks pretty good. Very simple and clean. I like the new outsole too

13. hahanice

hahanice Member

Oct 30, 2013
    I agree. I will try the black ones for sure

14. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    NSCAA Coaching Convention; you have to pay to access the courses but the vendor area was free. They weren't just showing the 2017-2018 stuff freely. I only got to see it because I got talking to the PLM and he realized I knew more about boots than the average consumer.

15. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If they hadn't of moved the zip it would have been so painful to strike the ball - and not easy as you wouldn't have a flat striking zone. I can't believe they thought it was a good idea to stick it in the middle.

appleCORR

derbyyank13 repped this.
  16. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    jayc23 repped this.
  17. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't look any worse to me than the laceless and lace cover boots Adidas is currently pushing.

18. lattanzio

lattanzio Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I get the idea, and honestly, boa lacing is really nice on cycling shoes, but introducing two completely unfixable closure systems seems like a risky idea. Zippers aren't hugely reliable long term, especially when they take a beating, and if that boa cable or dial breaks, you've got a useless boot. It really just seems like change for change's sake instead of a natural progression.

19. Soccerstyle09

Soccerstyle09 Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've always wondered how some of these companies are to work for and how they treat their reps.

20. derbyyank13

derbyyank13 Member+

Nov 8, 2008
    Niigata, Japan
    Club:
    Derby County FC
    It is pretty interesting. Nike seems to have the best perks but lowest pay.

UA is good but you get way over worked if you are in soccer

Adidas seems like it is the best of all.

Puma is pretty good too apparently.

21. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #197 Dr. Boots, Jan 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    So the UA fall catalog is online. It looks frought w/errors in descriptions and sketches vs pics of the boots, even for models like the leather SpeedForm that aren't changing....it appears the stupid zipper and BOA lacing will exist on $200ish model as well as the $300ish model. God damn it.....was really hoping for a laced model w/the same upper material as it was fantastic. Also was hoping they put this outsole on the SpeedForm or gave us a straight up AG option. Given that UA is targeting tons of colleges and most of them bar ND and UMD play at home and most of the road on AG it would make sense.

I found a stock pile of the old HydraStrike from 2012 online in my size. Just gobbled up a few pairs for coaching b/c I wanted a leather boot w/conical studs and I'm "supposed to" be wearing UA footwear at games and major events. Will still probably get the SpeedForm leather and Clutchfit 3.0 for next season, but I wanted an old stand by that I liked as well.

derbyyank13 repped this.
  22. Running_Man

Running_Man Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Asia
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Finally played with my speedform leather for the very first time last week after they were bought 6 months ago.

All i can say is OMG. The insole is unbelievable , probably the most comfortable i have ever played in , the feel is unique and i really love it.
    The leather is alright , studs are ok on artificial pitch , every part is fine after the game , couldn't find anything wrong.

May stock up another pair (non leather) consider how cheap they are now in the bay.

Pangu repped this.
  23. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let us know how they hold up. I have seen some that get trashed in a few uses and others that have lasted a long while on AG. I am not sure if there are batches that were "better" made than others or what...it seems odd to have polar opposite outcomes from similar use in similar conditions.

24. seancme

seancme Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    How have they been so far?