Under Armour

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by metros11, Sep 6, 2013.

1. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I stumbled upon a pair of Hydrastrike Pro FGs at my local Marshal's and decided to give them a try as the price was too good to pass up. Typically I wear Adidas, my current pair being Predator X TRX FGs, so I was a bit skeptical on how the UAs would perform. After the first match wearing them, here are my thoughts:

The sizing runs large, I'm typically a 9.5, but the Hydrastrikes are a size 9. They fit me very snuggly, but are not too tight. They were very comfortable. One thing I was extremely impressed by was the insoles. They are made of a rubber like material that provides a cushion and at the same time prevents the foot from sliding inside the boot. One of the things I've noticed with my Predators is that I was constantly getting blisters on my toes and under the large metatarsal. To avoid that I would have to change my socks for a dry pair at halftime. I did not have the same issue with the Hydrastrikes at all. Typically when wearing-in a new pair of cleats one might expect some initial blistering, but this wasn't the case. The quality of the boots seems to be very good as well. The leather was very soft and provided a soft and true touch on the ball. The heal support was excellent, as you would expect for pro grade cleats. The studs were good, at no point did I slide or lose traction, granted I was playing on a dry grass surface, what they were designed for (will be playing on turf on Sunday, we'll see how that goes).

Overall I was pleasantly surprised by what they offered. I'm very impressed and would recommend Under Armour to others at this point. Any one else here wear UAs? I'd like to hear your thoughts on their products.

2. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always been interested in that boot. If I remember correctly it fits really deep and wide throughout? If so, it's probably not the best boot for my foot shape.

3. metros11

metros11 Member

Sep 11, 1999
    Highlands of NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have narrow feet and I can tell you that they're not wide. But that's for the model I have, not sure about others.

4. eagleStevat

eagleStevat Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    On the insoles, I've not worn them but have heard great things about them on here and elsewhere. It's them and Asics leading the way from what I hear. Can't argue with the Hydrastrike, good leather boot with a decent stud layout.

5. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    For what it worth, the University of Maryland - home of UA founder Kevin Plank - wears UA and they have their pick of anything in the line as well as unreleased product and wear test samples, but most of the players over the past few seasons have chosen to be in the HydraStrike.

Out of the box it seemed pretty comfy, I would pick up a pair on the cheap if I can find them.

6. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed most of South Carolina's players chose the Hydrastrike as well. At least last year they did.

7. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Lauren Holiday wears the Blur.

[​IMG]

So, there are some people using something besides the Hydrastrike.

8. ejgrownarseman

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's up with her shin guard?

9. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    #9 holden, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    She doesn't like wearing shin guards, so she just throws them on last minute and sometimes they end up in weird places.

I think by the time this picture happened (from the same game), she had taken them off:
    [​IMG]

And here they are in a more conventional location (different game):
    [​IMG]

10. Cookie4HatTrick

Jun 13, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Michael Dawson of Spurs also wears the Blur.

[​IMG]

11. amierulaiziq

amierulaiziq New Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It looks awesome ~

12. Lowieee

Lowieee Member

Jul 3, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    has anyone worn a pair of the blur ? im really keen on trying them out

13. holden

holden Member+

Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    [​IMG]
    Has anyone seen this Blur colorway before? I tried googling for it, but couldn't find any.

(this pic was posted to Kelley O'Hara's instagram)

14. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    They look sick!

15. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eurosport has the Blur Carbon IV in their catalog but not online yet. It's not too bad looking it's a cleaner overall design than the last one. The only image I can find online is of this take down model.

[​IMG]

rooster and holden repped this.
  16. appleCORR7

appleCORR7 Member+

Jul 3, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the look of them, but they should have gone with different laces.

appleCORR

17. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Those look decent. Wonder when they'll release them.

I hope the coloured lace trend dies away soon. I thought it was really smart when the nike Tiemo elite iv came out but now it feels standard that the laces must be a different colour to the upper.

18. cadmonkey12

cadmonkey12 Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the Eurosport ad...

[​IMG]

serginhobertholi and holden repped this.
  19. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Step in the right direction, but they still need a lot of help to get their footwear on the level of their clothing.

20. rooster

rooster Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Love Under Armour's clothing.

Josh at SR4U gave the blur carbon his boot of the year. I'd really like to give the leather version a go.

21. Mercurial1994

Mercurial1994 Member

Nov 16, 2013
    If I were you I would stay away from the leather version.

I have already gone through two pairs of them, they sole separate really badly. The durability of them is comparable to the Champions League adipowers.

On my first pair the upper tore off of the soleplate at the toe box area. After about two weeks.

On the second pair I wore them one time for a training session and the upper separated from the sole and there was dirt in between the upper and the sole plate, I could feel the dirt almost as if I was getting stud pressure and it was impossible to remove.

Maybe there will be a updated version with fixed issues, but I wont be taking my chances on them any more.

22. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore

are you serious? was almost thinking of getting them when I was over in NY. They looked so interesting and with K-leather!

On a side note, recently bought a pair of Under Armour 4D Foam insole with Micro G. Its slightly thicker than other brands insoles but blows EVERYONE out of the water. Even the Asics insoles.

23. serginhobertholi

Feb 28, 2011
    Pará - Brasil
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like the HydraStrikes...

24. HaglaPuff

HaglaPuff New Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Club:
    AC Ancona
    I got a buddy of mine who raves about his Under Armour shoes. I wasn't sure if it worth getting it because he's always talking about how he has the best of everything. Is it really as comfortable as they say?

25. jayc23

jayc23 Member+

Dec 2, 2011
    Singapore
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    does feel like you're walking on cushion etc. Although I do admit that it could merely be because the insoles from the other brands are absolute crap.

I've had knee problems in the past though and using the insoles with the MicroG tech seem to have alleviated it somehow. Placebo effect or not I'm sold!