UNC Tar Heels 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2016.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #51 babranski, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    A bit late to this conversation, but ....

I've had my run ins with FSU fans over the past few years, but not once has it ever had anything to do with who they recruit. Usually it centers around the arrogance and attitude of FSU fans, players, & Krikorian himself, as well as the borderline unsportsmanlike gamesmanship they breed in their players there. A large part of my agitation also comes from a good deal of FSU fans who look down on UNC, its program, & their fans. I see a lot of FSU "fans" like fitzcamel on twitter who go out of their way to mock & criticize UNC with the most ridiculous things. "Nebraska had more draft picks than UNC" being one of the more recent absurdities retweeted. All of it is on the pretense that FSU plays attractive soccer the "right" way, which is utter horse $#!%... forgive my language. If the "right" way is playing in a defensive shell while your players complain to the official and your coach mocks the other teams players (caught on mic in ACC tournament vs UNC)... well then I don't want UNC to be "right".

As Soccer Hunter has pointed it out, UNC has done an excellent job in the last two season playing an attack oriented style that includes a good deal of solid, neat, short passing possession. In both 2015 & 2016 the passing got better & better as the season went a long to the point where they utterly out played everybody the came across... including WVU, including Virginia, including FSU. I got back to that FSU game where I felt like UNC out possessed & out played FSU (for the first time in a few years) while giving up a minimal number of chances to the Seminoles. End of the day the Heels were left holding the bag with a young front line that couldn't take advantage of all the opportunities they had....

As soon as that game was over, a pro WoSo fan, who had clearly not watched the game, quoted a final score tweet with the comment "Good Soccer triumphs over Evil Direct Soccer" or something to that degree. That's the stigma of UNC & the illusion of FSU right now. FSU is the future of women's soccer while UNC plays an archaic & unacceptable style, only finding continued success in recruiting with the "borrowed glory" of players, teams, & championships of the past.

2. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    I think we could agree that both sides harbor arrogant and obnoxious fans. Not that I agree it is right, as we are all there to just cheer on our players, but it is part of the sporting arena to disparage the other team. You just proved this in taking a shot at FSU by claiming they don't know how to play pretty soccer and only play as a defensive shell. Has FSU soccer been pretty the past 2 years? Hell no.....but you must know as long as you have been on this board that these players are trained and do play a beautiful possession style WHEN they have the players to do so. That has not been the case the past 2 years not having finishing players. Coach K has had to make adjustments to win games and that is where his brilliance lies. When I went to watch the Fri games at ACC Champ I was told by a UNC parent to move from my seat because my team wasn't playing yet. Mind you my son and I were sitting before they came along! Really? What an ass.... I was actually rooting for UNC in that game and after watching did not think we would have a chance to win on Sun because they looked so fast and good. But again, brilliant coaching and execution by the coach and players pulled out the W. It doesn't always have to look pretty to be a well played game. And I give credit to a fantastic defense that has been tested theses past 2 years. Nothing wrong with that.

UNC will always have a bit of a target on their backs because of all their ACC and NCAA titles. It's par for the game. They used to have a direct door to every top recruit but that has changed in past 10 years and now we are seeing a shift in the top talent going to multiple schools with multiple schools now winning the NCAA. It doesn't take anything away from the awesomeness of UNC soccer and I just hope you don't let a couple of idiot FSU fans disparage you from seeing the good at FSU.

One other point- I do take a bit of offense to your statement that FSU breeds " borderline unsportsmanlike gamesmanship " players. Coach K runs a very professional program and I will give you that at times it is a bit over the top for this age group. But the players know that coming in and it's what they want to adhere to. It is the type of players that they are. They plan to go to the next level when they come so they know how they have to work to get there. I am very curious what you refer to when you say Coach K mocked an UNC player? What did he say to that player and how do you know it was directed at a UNC player?

3. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aye, I went from "Recruiting foreign players is not something UNC fans complain about with FSU" to "this is what I complain about with FSU..." & I went the full mile. Yes Coach K had them playing great soccer with better players in previous seasons. I still think the "attractive" soccer FSU played in previous seasons was on the basis of a defensive shell from which they carefully attacked out of. It was just more obvious this season without the possession advantage they are used to. There was nothing different about what they did this year than with previous years...

I think for you to say 14/15/16 or even 17 year old recruits "know" what kind of players they are is... wrong, & is exactly the kind of misleading illusion Coach K probably peddles in the recruitment process. "Professional program"... bah. I personally think it's utterly inappropriate at this age level to systematically teach players how to work officials, waste time, fake injuries, draw fouls on no contact, get away with fouls when the official is not looking, etc. It is preposterously more common at FSU than at any other program I have ever seen since I've started watching women's college soccer in 2008.

as for the incident I referenced, Coach K was yelling at someone (official or his team, not sure) as Darcy McFarlane was taking a throw in close by. The ESPN mics clearly picked up what he was saying, but there's not enough context to understand who he was yelling at. As Darcy took the throw, he stopped mid sentence & shouted at the ref "foul throw" & when he didn't get his way, looked right at Darcy, dropped his voice, & said "all right, I guess you need the help".

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess you didn't watch many UCLA games when Jill Ellis was there?

5. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't really include teams that UNC doesn't play on a regular basis into that, especially that far back when I was still learning NCAA WoSo through the Heels.

It's difficult to include west coast teams into that fold even today. I would say the closest thing that came to annoying me as much as FSU has was Notre Dame in 2012 & 2013.

So lets amend that to the past 4 years when WoSo has become more readily available on TV & through internet streams like on the Pac-12 Network.

cpthomas repped this.
  6. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    August is just way too long until the season starts. Any chance they could organize a real spring season with a college cup and the whole deal... start in march, end in June, cmon. And maybe Nc can repeal the potty bill by then and have the big show in Cary?!!!

7. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be happy if they just extend the season like men's bball. They're already thinking about doing it for mens soccer.

8. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #58 Holmes12, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    I wonder how they pull this off with CC already bumping Finals? Putting in a break at the start or in the middle of the NCAA tournament and resuming in late Dec/Jan would make it unplayable for northern hosts (not that there are that many by that time). Not to mention playing on empty campuses. I guess that's the best option, have the second round of the NCAAs conclude on the current CC weekend then maybe move the sweet sixteens to region sites in the south. I think male lacrosse, if not female, does this now. But, the third and fourth round NCAA games on home campus sites have benefits too.

What an opportunity missed out on with three teams in close proximity of Cary. Especially two where it's a novelty. The only victims were the players, deprived of a raucous atmosphere with fan support. Would have been great TV too, destroyed the gains from the year before (Rocky's goal in front of standing room). Reminder, the NC Legislature didn't move the CC by performing it's centuries old representative function, the NCAA did.

9. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subtle. You're carefully shrouded support for an openly discriminating and unenforceable law with no precedence & no punishment clause is noted.

Can we refrain from politics, though? Whether or not the season should be extended into the spring season or not has nothing to do with HB2 politics.

10. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Our Village Idiot shows his colors once again! I have him on "Ignore" but can tell from others comments when the bigot shows his head. Like a mole looking for sunlight. Click on user's name, click on 'ignore'.

Full year schedule is fun to dream about but not happening. Softball, Baseball, Lacrosse folks got wind of the D1 mens effort and are ready to pounce and ask for Fall games when soccer asks for them in the Spring. Unless every outdoor team sport could split their season, it's never happening.

11. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Does any UNC connected person know when the hammer is going to fall regarding the NCAA judgment concerning the academic scandal? It's been pretty quiet recently with the NCAA. In any case, I haven't heard that there are any implications that women's soccer is involved, and the whole issue is currently limited to before 2011. (Although there is talk of a men's soccer recruiting violation, but I am not sure whether that was in the 2011-and-before period or is more recent and will be treated as a separate issue.) In any case, it sure would be nice to have this mess properly cleaned up and in the past.

12. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #62 Holmes12, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    It's always keep politics out of it when the response comes. Naturally right after you opine against the democratic process of North Carolina. Democracy is good as long as the outcome is to your liking. Just getting the final word of clarity, again. Otherwise, the majority is against your agenda (Texas next) so I agree, no need to talk, but I will always respond to your carefully shrouded digs. The NCAA knows full well that extortion won't work, these events don't bring much overall. The NCAA moved the CC, destroyed the lifetime experience for the hard-working players and schools fans, set the sport back, for nothing but window dressing.

13. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The opine of the democratic process of North Carolina was yours, not mine. The problem is none of it has anything to do with the possible extension of the season. The democratic process, the political machinations of the Texas bill, & your blatant lie that the majority is against my opinion... all if it has nothing to do with the discussion at hand. You inserted your political vitriol into a conversation (not even a debate) where such topics have absolutely no bearing what so ever.

There was nothing shrouded about my dig... I thought it was rather loud & clear: your opinion is noted, but we would all prefer that you take your arrogant and pedantic political arguments elsewhere.

14. WestCoaster15

WestCoaster15 New Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Holmes12 repped this.
  15. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #65 Holmes12, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    The "Electoral Integrity Project"? buhehehe. Nice spin try at putting the majority and the system on the "defensive". Just like the Electoral College, works good as long as your stuff wins. Otherwise, out comes the not so "tolerant" name-calling, intimidation, bullying from the self-proclaimed "tolerant"...both personal and economic. But, for the sake of the sport/thread, I see the point of not saying anything else. In sum, yet again, the once in a lifetime reward for these hard-working players and the sport taken away for nothing. Trump (I'm not a fan) took NC aftrwards (so much for the NC legislature not representing the people argument)...the CC doesn't bring much money or anything (cities say bye-bye to NFL teams, do you think they're going to sell their souls aver weekend tournaments?)...did transsexuals get anywhere except more opposition? I guess the NCAA entity covered it's image so the "tolerant" won't bully, intimidate, yell at them. Sorry "student-athletes". On top of the empty chairs, we also have to impose thousands of miles of travel time on most of you to take away from pre-Finals time, you know how those "tolerant" are....and San Fran and all.

I can't help it, since the "NC gets their act together" keeps getting insinuated in here. Just one more before we "keep politics out of this". How'd that Chik-Fil-A boycott float? Sunk faster than Kramer's against Kenny Rogers Roasters. Even longer lines. According to Newman, that Truett Cathy makes a fine bird.

16. chch

chch Member

Aug 31, 2014
    way off soccer of course, but the electoral college is indefensible, it was founded with blacks as three-fifths of a body for census count, but no voting rights. My "side" = myself has never defended the electoral college. It makes no sense in todays US. The senate already gives low population states overrepresentation. In terms of HB2 sometimes laws trying to solve problems that don't exist is not what I was taught "conservative" is. Women's rest rooms have doors and stalls so there is no sneak a peak or whatever it is you are afraid of. A lot of men passing laws have no idea about female physiology or rest rooms. (like the congressman who thought the fetus could be viewed from a swallowed camera)

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...ublican_asks_if_you_can_reach_the_vagina.html

17. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    For heaven's sake, all of you, particularly Holmes 12, not a soul here is interested in your political opinions. Soccer, please.

babranski repped this.
  18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Well I tried soccer/UNC -related 6 posts ago..... so I'll try again.

Lindsey Harris has signed a one-season contract with FH in Iceland. (You really don't need to pronounce the whole name - Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar - so "FH" is what everyone says.) Their men's side is pretty much at the top of the national division every year and has participated in the UEFA Cup and the UEFA Champions League multiple times. The FH women's side had some good years, and although still in the Icelandic premiere division has recently been in the lower echelon. I expect Lindsey to make a real difference when the summer season starts in May. I suspect that she may be returning stateside in a year to ply her trade here when the NWSL expands by two more teams.

19. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Heard today news of the progress on the recruiting front with regard to the two English U17 players who made a visit to UNC in December. One is said to be solidly committed to UNC while the other is yet considering going pro. However, there is a rumor of an additional player who is considering UNC. We will just have to wait and see how this will all work out. (If history is a guide, we won't hear until May.)

20. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    soccerhunter, would the two English players be enrolling Fall '17 or '18? Is the additional player from England? thanks.

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    My understanding is that these players are for 2017. I am not certain myself if the third player who is considering is from England or not, but I realized that that was my assumption when I had the conversation and failed to check it out.

22. Holmes12

Holmes12 Member

May 15, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #72 Holmes12, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    thank you, soccerhunter. I am kind of intrigued by the North Carolina situation because the recruiting tables have turned dramatically on a veteran coaching staff. It's interesting to follow how they adapt and employ new aggressive recruiting techniques at such a late stage of their careers. I'd bet against current regime winning another national championship, but that's what makes it interesting. Was there anything else about the third player? It's probably tightly under wraps if it's an unknown.

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    No, I know nothing more. My brief conversation was with an officially unconnected but loyal UNC grad (whose son also went to UNC) who happened to have solid information that a third player was being considered.

There is also a possibility of another walk on. Bailey Petersen was committed to East Carolina, but recently announced that she was accepted as a (academic) student at UNC this fall. I suspect that we'll not see her on the field, but one never knows, as there are a number of examples at UNC of complete unknowns who ended up starting in their freshmen years and had great careers as a Tarheel soccer player. (Hannah Gardner is the most recent 4 year starter, but I also remember relatively recent players Megan Brigman, and Caitlin Ball who also were completely under the recruiting radar who became starters in their freshman years.)

24. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    According to my sources the second English girl has an academic issue. It is not given that it will be resolved. I have not heard about a third girl (it does not mean anything LOL). IMO this year will be difficult to walk on and being a starter. There are too many solid girls are available.

25. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    An academic issue? At UNC? Surely you jest!