UNC Tar Heels 2017

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2016.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Why so hostile? I was just curious. This forum has become chippy. It used to be more relaxed and positive.

2. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I’m really sorry. I did not mean to be hostile.
    I’m just a football junky.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean?

4. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Cold someone post some comments on the formation and strategy in the last 2 games? I saw the State game on tv and read about the Duke game and heard Anson's comments (Duke game was blacked out in my area). If I'm understanding what I saw Friday and what I heard after Sunday, UNC/Anson may be going through a large shift in strategy.

5. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    I was awkwardly stating that the pressure to win it all is perhaps off both FSU and UNC, and that's liberating perhaps for the big dance to come.

6. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahaha, that's what I thought. I tend to agree with you, Stanford looks to be far and away the favorite. I will say I think UNC should also be a favorite, as I think they are one of the few teams who could beat Stanford.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Adjusted RPI, Adjusted Non-Conference RPI, and Massey all have Stanford winning, if everything goes according to their ratings. On the other hand, my brilliant 5 Iteration Adjusted RPI has North Carolina winning.:)

Crazyhorse, mentor5959 and UNCway repped this.
  8. Soccer Gramps

Soccer Gramps New Member

Everton
    United States
    Oct 9, 2017
    Maybe I missed it, but I have not seen many comments here noting how UNC has had a very good year despite having no true home games. I don't know how important the Fetzer home field advantage was, but with Wake Med having more of a neutral site feel, it seems remarkable that UNC has had this run without that extra advantage.

UNCway repped this.
  9. Ingoldsby

Ingoldsby Member

Nov 12, 2014
    Don't think it makes much difference. It's still an away game for everyone else with UNC's fans there (and some right behind the net). Visiting teams should have taken up a collection to buy a scoreboard.

10. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    It's all good , brother! Fans of the beautiful game

11. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I don't think unc has had a particularly good fetzer record in the past 5 years. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if their away record was the same or better. I know I have walked the track to the back entrance at the end of more than a few games not feeling great. For some reason, two different losses to South Carolina at fetzer stung a lot. Nice to beat them on THEIR home field last season, though I respect a lot what USC has accomplished

12. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Stanford was a big favorite in 2009 and 2012 also. I can't seem to recall who beat them, but I don't think they won those years.

13. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    They should be "a big favorite" every year with having 80% YNT recruits!!

14. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UNC has lost to Stanford exactly once- in double OT on a somewhat fluke of a goal. Still, they have great teams. I just get sick of hearing Julie Foudy talking about her alma mater all the time on US WNT games. No other commentator does that that I can recall. UNC commentators seem to go out of their way to be humble and not talk too much about the TWENTY ONE NCAA CHAMPIONSHIPS.

15. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, Foudy hardly ever talks about Stanford's championships.

Mostly, she talks about Stanford's name :D :speechless:

16. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Tell it, UNC Champs 2012! I got to see the UNC double OT semi-final win over Stanford in 2012 in San Diego in the rain and it was intense! Stanford's always terrific these days. Hey, I like Julie Foudy a lot. I would instead actually encourage all the pro commentators (and Foudy's one of the few who has something worth saying) to mention colleges routinely for all the pro players in order to increase public recognition, which all women's soccer needs. The NWSL's Championship match in Orlando this fall was sadly attended--Orlando of course didn't make the finals-- and attendance was also down for the league this year. Anyone watching the talented Heels this year--and especially their ACC tourney victory-- might become a fan of college soccer. It's wonderful how many matches are streamed on ESPN now. More and better marketing! Lose UNC's crummy athlete website! Taaarrrrr!

17. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I randomly became insanely busy this week. I'm still hoping I can get them done & organized tonight to post tomorrow morning before the game.

18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I was at the 2012 game also

19. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    That semi was the championship that year. What a game! First time it had rained in San Diego since the Spring. A cow pasture of a field.

20. mentor5959

mentor5959 Member

Nov 2, 2016
    4-1 over the Arkansas

Most goals allowed all year by Arkansas. (penn st, scored 4 also, beat them 4-2)

Arkansas' worst loss of the year.

Kurt Kline and castate repped this.
  21. UNCway

UNCway Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Well, not much to say about the win against High Point other than the obvious. The Heels' talent outmatched the Panthers(?), who bunkered and recorded no shots. UNC's defense was stellar as usual. Julia Ashley almost made a mistake when a pass got over her head, but tracked it down, dispossessed her opponent, and set up an offensive run--a rock on defense and offense. It's great to see Zoe and Lotte on the pitch again. And being able to bring a player off the bench like Maddy, who is instant offense, must be incredibly disheartening to opponents. I love how hard this super talented, deep team plays. (But what about Jesse?)

22. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jessie tore her ACL and is having surgery this week.

23. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Unfortunately it is true. The same ACL and some cartilage.

24. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Sorry to hear this....wishing her a speedy and healthy recovery.

25. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    such bad luck for such a great player