UNC Tar Heels 2016

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Nov 21, 2015.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Does it seem at times like HAO overcompensates in trying to not come across as biased in her commentary towards UNC ? I think she is very good though.

2. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    UNC won and played very well. UNCCHAMPS2012 you do not have to check my secured private server. The first surprise is now obvious. This is the team which wants to win more than most of the others. MHO they have still not peaked. The way they press and counter attack is not inferior to the great past. Especially if we factor in that the rest of the teams are much better. Today they played a very enjoyable and sometimes beautiful football. The second goal was an attacking gem. Such a long way from August. This is a typical Anson magic.
    Go back the second suprise. It looks like it is in the making. However, I'm not sure it will happen. If it happens it will be obvious and UNC will have a chance to win the CC. May be I'm just an eternal optimist, but I love this team!
    Cheers!

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  3. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I, too, am an eternal optimist. Go Heels!

4. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    You may have a private server, but I can predict the future, too. Note that I created my uncchamps2012 name in July 2011. Now, UNC won so often then that I can't claim to be Nostradamus or anything, but it was after a down year in 2010 and a full season before the title season. If I were picking a new screen name now, it would be uncchamps2017or2018 , so I could hedge my bets a bit. I think they have a real chance to win for Anson one more time in 17 or 18 with the talent they have and what they have coming in.
    The second goal was truly beautiful.

5. European football fan

Dec 16, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The server was a joke referring to a previous post. I wish I could predict the future. Probably I would sit and drink cocktails in a private island. All I did, let the UNC fans knew there migh be some surprises could happen when everything looked very gloomy. This is nothing else than sharing information without compromising anybody and keep some hopes open. I got lucky with the first suprise and I just hope this will happen with the second one too. BTW I would have not predicted the sophistication of the play prior the second goal.
    Lastly I totally agree with your feeling about the 2017/18 year.

uncchamps2012 repped this.
  6. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I just meant to play along in a good natured way. Appreciate the banter and what I experience as comaraderie among posters here.

7. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    If the beat FSU today, is a #1 seed in NCAA possible at all? Seems unlikely , but the ACC champs with wins over FSU, UVA, Notre Dame, and FSU in its last four games would be impressive. #2 seed seems more likely, which is very impressive compared to where we might have guessed for UNC at the season low point after losses to USC and NCSU . They should get a #3 seed even with a losses. They got an overly generous seed of #2 after a first round loss to UVa in the ACC tournament in 2012. Their record was worse that year at this point.

8. Kazoo

Kazoo Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Heels should have beat FSU today but could not turn a lot of possession, and even a number of turnovers, into quality chances. Heels pressed effectively but could not crack FSU's very good defense. A game of few chances. Tough loss on penalty kicks.

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Hopefully both teams can make a deep NCAA run.
    Good Luck!

10. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Basically, UNC hasn't won the ACC tournament during the iPhone era.

11. AnsonBlonde

AnsonBlonde Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Another inane comment from Mister Brainless. The Heels won in 2007, 2008 and 2009. The iPhone came out in 2007, idiot.

12. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    But the iPhone didn't become the #1 phone on the market until the holiday season of 2009, just shortly after UNC won the 2009 ACC tournament.

13. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    What does this even refer to? Be nice . Geez

14. Port Sider

Port Sider Member

Oct 20, 2015
    WWC was called out for a lame and inaccurate analogy in putting down UNC

15. fanosoccer

fanosoccer Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  16. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Just got back to the Triangle from having watched the ACC finals game in Charleston. Some observations:

1. The two teams were indeed evenly matched. UNC had the better midfield and it showed in terms of possession time and build up of attacks. FSU showed a tighter defense in the red zone, frustrating UNC's attempts at a final through pass for a score. UNC had the excellent goal keeping.

2. For much of the game until about 15 minutes to go in the second half, the FSU offense was primarily long ball attempts to the corners which put little pressure on the Heels who usually cleared out the threats with no problem with the exception of the final attempt of the first half which resulted in a great save by Lindsey. The game was more of a back-and-forth tussle starting in the last third of the second half and continuing into the over times.

3. The Heels did not play particularly well, (But that often "seems" to happen against stronger teams. They looked a lot better against Virgina and Notre Dame than they did today against FSU.) But at was obvious to me was that they were not as fit as they have been in the past. This was especially obvious on defense where (with notable exceptions) a some players seemed to lope along following the play rather than be able to go full out as in past years one would expect.

4. There was a lot of outstanding plays by Heels. I don't want to risk forgetting anyone (as everyone had good moments) but Abby really impressed with her hustle. Dorian played better than she has all season. Hannah has greatly improved her decision making over the last several games and played a great match. Maggie Bill was solid throughout. Maya played with heart at her new forward role. And I could go on.

Not that it makes any difference, but did any one see any footage that would have confirmed the offside that called back the goal we scored in the first half? From a fan-in-the-stands point of view, were all shocked by the call. None of us saw it that way (but then again we did not have the correct angle.)

I see that following this game the Heels are now 5th on the ARPI list! A second seed should be guaranteed in the NCAAs.

Here's hoping that we get better and better. This young team of over achievers could surprise yet!

Cheers!

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #418 Soccerhunter, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    Just got back to the Triangle from having watched the ACC finals game in Charleston. Some observations:

1. The two teams were indeed evenly matched. UNC had the better midfield and it showed in terms of possession time and build up of attacks. FSU showed a tighter defense in the red zone, frustrating UNC's attempts at a final through pass for a score. UNC had the better goal keeping, IMO.

2. For much of the game until about 15 minutes to go in the second half, the FSU offense was primarily long ball attempts to the corners which put usually put little pressure on the Heels who usually cleared out the threats with no problem with the exception of the final attempt of the first half which resulted in a great save by Lindsey. The game was more of a back-and-forth tussle starting in the last third of the second half and continuing into the over times.

3. The Heels did not play particularly well, (But that often "seems" to happen against stronger teams. They looked a lot better against Virgina and Notre Dame than they did today against FSU.) And it was obvious to me was that they were not as fit as they have been in the past. This was especially obvious on defense where (with notable exceptions) a some players seemed to lope along following the play rather than be able to go full out as in past years one would expect.

4. There was a lot of outstanding plays by Heels. I don't want to risk forgetting anyone (as everyone had good moments) but Abby really impressed with her hustle. Dorian played better than she has all season. Hannah has greatly improved her decision making over the last several games and played a great match. Maggie Bill was solid throughout. Maya played with heart at her new forward role. And I could go on.

Not that it makes any difference, but did any one see any footage that would have confirmed the offside that called back the goal we scored in the first half? From a fan-in-the-stands point of view, were all shocked by the call. None of us saw it that way (but then again we did not have the correct angle.)

I see that following this game the Heels are now 5th on the ARPI list! A second seed should be guaranteed in the NCAAs.

Here's hoping that we get better and better. This young team of over achievers could surprise yet!

Cheers!

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    As I have been saying for some time now, Lindsey Harris continues to prove herself as a top-line keeper. Her performance today at the ACC finals was more evidence. The only question has to do with why she is not getting the accolades she deserves. (Some progress on that score today as she was voted to the all tournament team...competing against the three keepers who were previously named to the all ACC teams.)

What was on display today was an all-round superb performance.

Lindsey's field generalship was precise, authoritative, and loud. Her field vision and decision making as to how an incoming attack should be handled is quick and insightful. (Another shutout through two overtimes resulted.)

Her distribution is creative and sure. No wasted time and not dangerous. She usually rolled out balls to the defensive wings for advancement, but when she took a goal kick or a drop kick, her down field service was (as always) uncannily precise --usually hitting the heads or easily controlled by the intended UNC target.

Also, her foot skills are superb as she several times had to corral errant passbacks and dribble out of trouble before making a good service down field.

And then her miraculous saves! Wow! And one thing that I really admire is how quickly she bounces up off the ground to re-engage the play. She is so much quicker than larger keepers and has the jumping ability cover the frame. (Thank goodness that some of her upper 90 saves are on tape!)

I truly hope that the pro and national team scouts are taking the time to watch this outstanding keeper. She should go far!

19. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    UNC has a few examples of players in the last 10 years whose college accomplishments were not sufficiently appreciated by those who vote on awards and all-whatever teams, who then went on to excel in the pro and US WNT worlds. Kling and Alley Long come to mind. I think Kling may have been All-America her senior year, but perhaps not first team. I don't recall Long getting accolades much at all. Even Ashlyn Harris never got big awards, unless my memory fails me, and it might. It's so important to have a US pro league for the players to develop and get noticed.

20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I like UNC's chances to make it to the final 8. South Carolina is very good so that will be a tough game. Clemson in 3rd round

21. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right now, the key stat says UNC could be a contender for the national championship. UNC fans, want to guess what that stat is?

22. Gilmoy

Gilmoy Member+

Jun 14, 2005
    Pullman, Washington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goals-against near zero?

Just make your PKs :D

cpthomas repped this.
  23. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Their gaa is not that great this season, but it it phenomenal in the last part of the season. Tell us guru cpthomas:)

24. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have said GAA as well, I remember we had the discussion about teams with a certain GAA or higher never won the NCAA, & I'm inclined to believe UNC is within the range after their form late in the season.

I'm intrigued to what else it could be if, as someone has said, the GAA wasn't so good. SOG Efficiency?