UNC matches [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Aug 29, 2002.

1. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    I don't understand the Elizabeth Ball (I assume that's who EB is) thing at all. She is loaded with talent and it really isn't clicking. I'll bet that Anson thought she would be a starter down the road. I remember when she and Jordan were being recruited and she was the 'player'. I know fitness was a factor at one point--
    but a good example of how talent isn't enough.

Upper90 brought up a good point---depth to the 16-18th player. I have to ask myself why some of these women want to sit on a bench while they have a chance to play elsewhere. I understand the mystique of UNC soccer but still. And they don't even have a chamionship ring to show for last year. Kim Patrick made a good choice--I wonder if any others will go that route. Sometimes you can have too much of a good thing.

2. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Freshman starters

It's anyone's guess who will start against Guilford. Chalupny, Tarpley and Fletcher will have a tough week. They get into Chapel Hill today, must move into their dorms, start classes 3 weeks late and get to practice tomorrow afternoon.

I'll bet it will take some time. It would be obvious to assume Fletcher, a defender, will move right into the back line. However, Dino's flatback 3 takes some getting used to and trusting your teammates. Tarpley should get a reasonable amount of time up top as Anson likes to rotate his forwards and will have 5 or 6 to do that with. Chalupny will share time in midfield, but who will sit when she does?

It will be an interesting next several weeks.

3. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    Re: Kareena's question

White does have 1 U-19 National cap, but I don't think Hardmann has been in the U-19 National pool.

The rule change on substitutions in the first half (1 re-entry allowed) and perhaps the allowance of subs on corners (if I'm not mistaken) will play to UNCs advantage. It will matter much less who starts, as now UNC can cycle any number of players in almost at will. With the entry of the U19 youth players from camp, and return of Randolph, UNC will run players to exhaustion and then be able to let them rest. The only place they can't do this is the defense where not only have they lost Steadman, but Winslow also hasn't been playing. Reddick and Fletcher can obviously play a full 90 at the International level, so it may not be that big a deal. It shouldn't matter. If another team has a speed burner that tires an outside back, don't you think Watley can come in for 10-12 minutes and match/top anyone's speed?

4. TarheelFan02

TarheelFan02 New Member

Aug 22, 2002
    I can't understand how anyone would truly believe that EB has under performed in her limited time. She was 6th in the ACC in scoring last year with the limited playing time she was given by Anson, and scored the game winning goal in the NCAA championship semifinal. Anson has moved her from forward to midfield to defense to forward to defense. She hasn't gotten a full fledge chance to perform at the college level.

As for the Jordan issue, Anson has already established that she will start every game until her eligablity is up.