UNC matches [R]

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Klee, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Our first game of the regular season is Nebraska, tomorrow night (Friday night) at 7:00, out there in Lincoln. TrooperBari has promised "a full report" provided Nebraska's SID folks approve her press pass in time.

:) Let's go, Tar Heels!

:) Let's go, Nebraska's SID folks!

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    I'll do my best. If all else fails, I got my Suncoast paycheck today, so I'll be able to afford admission if the NU folks drop the ball.

Incidentally, I'm not a "she," just a "he" who works as a women's college soccer beat writer. S'allright, though. :p

3. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    He or She

I thought your avatar was your picture! ;)

4. UFGator98

UFGator98 Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Florida
    Nebraska's site has this game as a 1-1 tie, but no story up. Anyone know if that was the score?

5. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Tie with Nebraska

Right. It was a 1-1 tie. Alyssa Ramsey scored our goal. Here's the write-up on the UNC site:

Link

"It was a great game. Nebraska stretched us to the limit. A tie is probably a fair result," said UNC Coach Anson Dorrance. Nebraska entered the game ranked #10.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Yeah, a tie would've been a pretty fair result. Crowd of about 4,000 out at Abbott tonight - decent noise, too. Pretty well-played game, considering how early in the season it is.

Harms' goal was a good combination of hustle and skill. She blocked down a clearance at the top of the box and chipped the keeper.

----------

In other action around the area, Boston College beat Creighton in their opener 1-0.

7. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Also in the area was the Wisconsin win over USC that preceeded the NU game.

WTG, 'Huskers!

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Yup ... 1-0 to the Badgers. Lauren Schmidt scored in the 77th minute off of a Sarah Capel corner kick.

USC vs. North Carolina, 11 a.m. Sunday
    Nebraska vs. Wisconsin, 7 p.m. Sunday

9. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    The official stats on the Nebraska site listed Gervais starting on defense and Reddick not playing. The UNC news release shows Reddick starting. Which was it?

10. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Wow, thanks for all the updates from those of you in Nebraska. Nice to see stories from so many sources! Is this usual for womens soccer in that area?

This might not be a bad sign for the Heels considering we lost to Nebraska last year in an opening exhibition match. I also remember the Heels looking weak in that game (the same game which elicited the bon-bon quote from coach Dorrance... ;-) )...

11. Omahacrew

Omahacrew New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    I think the Nebraska Women get a bit of press coverage, the Creighton women do not. (FYI: Over the past 3 years Nebraska has the 2nd most womens wins behind only North Carolina). They draw good crowds for alot of games.

12. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    UNC vs USC

We'll be playing Southern Cal in just a little while, if I've got my time zones worked out right. I hope we've got a Tar Heel fan or parent in the stands who can give us all the details. The Women of Troy lost to Wisconsin on Friday in their first match of the season. Here's the 2002 season's preview published on their website last week.

Link

13. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    game #2 results

College soccer online is now carrying the results of the UNC USC game as being 2-0 in favor of the good guys! Sorry I have no details but the match results. I tried Nebraska and USC web site for a press release but found nothing. I am sure UNC will put up a release sooner or later.

14. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thanks, U-90!

Way to go U-90. You da man!

And way to go, Tar Heels. You da team!

:D

15. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    What do you mean 'good guys'?

16. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Right, they're women, not guys!
    :)

17. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Details on the win

TarHeelBlue is up with the story. (Link)

Anne Felts and Cat Reddick each had an unassisted goal. I'd like to hear Coach Dorrance's discussion of how he has been juggling his line-up for this weekend.

18. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Well that wasn't what I meant but OK, that too!! :)

19. MoHeelfan

MoHeelfan Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Ozarks
    Tarheel Weekend

I'm hot off the road after watching the two UNC games in Lincoln.UNC played with somewhat makeshift lineups. Sara Randolph didn't make the trip due to illness, Annie Morrell is still limping with her knee, Carmen Watley is hindered by hamstrings.

The starting lineups were essentially the same for both games: Ramsey, Felts and Bush up top. Kacie White (played well), Walker, McDowell and Tomecka in midfield. Gaston, Reddick and EB on the back line. Branam was in goal for all 200 minutes.

The team didn't pass very well, looked tired or slow especially today. This overtime rule really sucks IMHO. The game with Nebraska was physical and they didn't have much left today.

The three goals were nice. Ramsey bent a free kick around the wall, the keeper never saw it. Today Cat volleyed a clearance out of the air from the top of the box that was a laser shot. Felts took a pass at the top of the box, dribbled past two defenders and put a "worm burner" into the right side.

The team is going to start slow. There may be a loss or two early, but this is going to be a terrific team, especially when the 3 frosh get into the mix.

20. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    You know the ones who wear the white hats!!

21. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    MoHeelFan and SDM:
    I'd be interested to know how you think Anson will use his new players coming in. Randolph and I assume Morrell will move into the starting lineup after they 'heel', but from what I have heard those 3 coming in are pretty special and will push for some playing time.
    Is one of them a center mid?

22. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Kareena's question

Those three freshmen who have been with the U-19 NT are all special players, no doubt about it, but -- just to complicate things -- so are Kacey White and Brynn Hardman, who didn't get picked. And yes, I've read that Lori Chalupny is a center midfielder and a wizard at distributing, and I also noted that Lindsay Tarpley was pulled back from the front line to play center midfield in the U-19 championship match, from where she scored the winning goal.

And it's funny you should mention center midfield, because that's a spot that Tar Heel fans are always debating, wondering who is the most likely player to take that over and send Jordan Walker to the bench. But there's something about Jordan Walker that Coach Dorrance appreciates very much, and since she took over that slot toward the end of her freshman year, the Tar Heels have won two ACC crowns, one National Championship, and a whole lot of games.

Myself, I've always thought Anne Felts was going to end up there, others predict it will be Mary McDowell, and some say it should be Maggie Tomecka. After I watch Tarpley and Chalupny this coming weekend, along with the rest of them, maybe I'll have some sounder opinions. Anyone else?

23. kareena

kareena New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    It's funny you should mention Jordan as I was thinking of her in particular. I was thinking of the effort she has made for the team and wondering if she would end up on the bench. I was wondering how Anson deals with that kind of thing--he has said that she doesn't have a lot of physical gifts but she has obviously made a huge contribution to the team . I know he appreciates her but will he figure out a way to allow her to play while utilizing the talents of new players. I hope so.

24. Upper90. Inc.

Upper90. Inc. New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Jordan is a very,very smart player and she works incredibly hard. Will she continue to start? Lets just wait and see. She will play even if it is a reduced role.

Now I do not have any historical perspective, but from what I can see over the last year and this year and knowing what players are coming, the "competitive cauldron" will be boiling at UNC. Perhaps its highest level ever? Unlike almost anywhere else, just plain ol' talent wont assure you of a spot on the pitch at the start of game time. There is talent 16, maybe even 18 deep.

Now I am betting that EB does not start another game at fullback. Anybody want the other side of that bet?