UNC 2019

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 2, 2018.

1. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I am glad I never criticized FSU about this now that UNC has its own pipeline!

UNCway and Crazyhorse repped this.
  2. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Hard to understand Colorado losing some of the games they did this season after this performance . Nice game

3. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, tons of folks loved to bash Mark for it, silly really, it is a global game, more so everywhere else but here really.

jbs01 repped this.
  4. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Yes it was!

Even with UNC's lopsided difference in shots and overall domination, Colorado were dangerous throughout, and it could have gone the other way. UNC did an outstanding job of moving the ball, but were dispossessed pretty often and, seemingly, pretty easily. Whereas they had lots of shots, very many of them ended up going straight to the keeper. Russo's was one of the few well to one side. With the congestion inside the box and the speed of play, it's no wonder so many shots ended up straight at the keeper, but more precision in the shots would seem to be needed, especially against sides packing it in. It also seemed like UNC was over trying to dribble or pass through the packed defense. Shooting earlier and lofting balls in to our height more frequently would seem to be worth a try.

I'm loving the way Bell is moving in and out of the offense more and more. Not sure what this means, but i think she could become the "Mia Hamm of the back line." She is just so skilled on the ball, at intercepting and turning deep and under pressure, at bring the ball out, at getting into the run of play in and around the box. We have also seen her work and shot like a forward from there. Fantasy: I'd love to see Anson play her as a forward all spring, develop her turns in offense, release, and shooting accuracy. Then, next year (please don't turn pro!) having her coming out of the back and melding into the offense as a matter of strategy would be something to see.

But, let's hope and do get it done this year!

EHaz repped this.
  5. EHaz

EHaz Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    I actually like this Michigan matchup for UNC. I think Colorado was a better team than Michigan. I can't see Michigan trying to play the possession game with UNC because they will be prone to mistakes and giving the ball away with that UNC pressure. This UNC team is talented, experienced, and battle tested. I can't see them falling into traps that plagued UNC teams of recent years, losing to teams in the tournament they had no business losing to

6. EHaz

EHaz Member

Chelsea
    United States
    Mar 23, 2017
    i felt like i was the only person touting Bell's greatness all year..i absolutely agree. She's special

7. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    Actually, take a look at posts around mid-September . . .

8. 6peternorth9

6peternorth9 Member

Nov 15, 2012
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    UNC seems peaking at the right moment. It’d be hard for anyone to be tougher than them. They are extremely difficult to play against

9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OK. To straighten out the confusion of the Daily Tarheel student newspaper article regarding Anson/UNC's involvement in starting the first national championship for colleges and universities sponsored by the AIAW in 1980...It turns out that the Colorado College website has a pretty good description of how this came about.

Colorado College established a women's soccer club in 1975 and it was coached by a freshman varsity soccer player Steve Paul. Colorado College granted the club team varsity status in 1978 when coach Paul was in his senior year. He began organizing an invitational tournament which in 1979 included 11 teams from California, Texas, and Wyoming.* This was written up in Soccer America magazine and Anson Dorrance got in touch with Paul and with other coaches approached the ten year old Association for Intercollegiate Athletics for Women (AIAW) to sanction a tournament as a national championship event since the NCAA was not conducting any women's national championship events at that time. 7 teams were invited to a tournament under Paul's direction in 1980 at Colorado College which met AIAW sanctioning requirements as a national championship. Cortland State (NY) won the original national championship. In 1981 the national championship was organized by and held at UNC in Chapel Hill. In 1982 the NCAA moved to have its own women's championship in soccer and other sports and the AIAW was soon forced to fold.

*The Colorado College Invitational continued well into the 1980s under Steve Paul's direction.

Now you know.

Heeligan2 repped this.
  10. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I agree with you that UNC presents some real problems for other teams. Their midfield and forwards can play as masterful one-touch passing game as any college team. (Think: Fox, Pinto, Jones, and Russo with their deft side flicks and ball control.) But that is not what they're known for. And UNC can play up front with Cox and Russo either combining or going solo and as offensive threats. But that is not what most fans think represents UNC's style. And this year the Heels have several players who can launch a 30 or 40 yard pass and nail a sprinting runner on the other side of the field. But long balling is not the staple. Nor are runs to the corners for crosses as wingers will cut in diagonally into the box looking to pass or shoot as often as they will look for an end line cross. What we see is a combination of direct and build-up play to take advantage of whatever is offered by defenses plus the traditional UNC relentless defensive pressure on the opposing offense. BUT based on today's game as an example, bringing the "A" game as described above to each and every game is the key that is missing from time to time. In a tournament the "up" team must show up for each game!

Heeligan2 repped this.
  11. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Friendly post from a big fan from your next opponent. Must say I was hoping I would be at home next weekend v Michigan but alas I have to look at exhorbenent airfare to Raliegh. I am soooo bummed I couldn’t watch more ACC this year but that’s the stinking cable companies I digress....I (being a outspoken USC parent) want to say that this will be a great match up. Most kids know each other...maybe a kid who transferred. A lot of USYNT friends and even some international connections. This is gonna be a good one. Cheers and good luck

Heeligan2 repped this.
  12. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm seeing four fantastic games coming up, probably the best field of eight I've seen in the many years I've been a DI WoSo fan. There are teams that are favored to win, but I don't see any game where I personally think the not-favored team winning would be a major upset.

Soccerhunter and stubifier repped this.
  13. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

1.FC Koeln (Cologne, Germany)
    United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A parent observed near the end of the game that Friday's Colorado team would have beaten the Oregons and California and Utah (two ties and two losses). The Buffs were not easy to score on all season but had unexpected difficulty scoring themselves. Other than two wins against what was not one of Northern Colorado's better teams, CU did not score more than two goals in any game. I watched them amass two shots at UCLA, none on goal. Two shots at Florida State, two on goal at USC, one on goal against Stanford. The lack of firepower put a lot of pressure on the defense and goalkeeper (who had the game of her life at UNC) to keep scores very down. And there were injuries to forwards.

And perhaps having already played four top-10 teams helped them prepare.

The statistics don't show how well they played, but at the end of the game, they knew.

Soccerhunter and uncchamps2012 repped this.
  14. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I think this is the best unc team in years, yet I know USC is strong and used to playing the best teams. As was evident in the ncaa final last year, it can all turn on one play between two strong teams. I like unc’s chances this year a lot. The defense is just so strong and with Russo in top form up top, Rachel Jones now firing away, I don’t see anyone shutting them out. Unc over Stanford in the final.

EHaz repped this.
  15. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    2 things to add.
    1. Don't sleep on BYU. They are legit! They may be the best finishing team I've seen this year. The question against Stanford will be, Can they gain enough possession to be dangerous?
    2. Mark has FSU playing the best we've played this year. IF we can get by UCLA, then look out. We would love to play you guys again. Always fun!

16. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I think unc would go old school 2003 unc on fsu is this year’s final,6-0. Y’all best go ahead and get eliminated . Just kidding you , but ya gotta be ok with a little trash talk if you come on our page :)

Tom81 and McSkillz repped this.
  17. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #292 derbarkasmann, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Well, thank you, but ...

Michigan was able to do something on Sunday that Colorado really never came close to doing, and that is attack with five, sometimes six, and a couple of times even seven players. Except for the final couple of minutes when Colorado attacked with all eleven. But as far as mounting a consistent, multi-player attack, the Buffs just couldn't do it. Michigan did.

Speaking of Michigan ... In the Charlotte airport Monday morning, I was walking to gate A6 and waiting at gate A4 were 20 or so young ladies of college age, all wearing the same dark blue outfit with a golden yellow M on them. So I got to tell them how well I thought they had played the day before. They were not hanging their heads when they left the field, there were no tears that I saw. They knew they had played a good game.against a better team. A couple of them admitted on Monday that they got a bit discouraged at the end when the score mounted, and I had noticed at the game that their attack dwindled the last 15 minutes or so.

I think they were ranked #19, and from what I saw of them on Sunday, they deserved it. Two players, one a starter, are graduating.

18. derbarkasmann

derbarkasmann Member

United States
    Oct 27, 2008
    Grand Junction, Colorado
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #293 derbarkasmann, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    I am back home after an absolutely fabulous four days (my first-ever visit) in North Carolina.

It's all soccerhunter's fault. I was going to stay home and have a totally average boring weekend, but no, he had to offer me a place to stay and the airfare situation fell into place and there I was. It started at 6AM Thursday when I arrived at that beautiful airport in Raleigh and after four days I was NOT ready to leave. Soccerhunter and his wife were wonderful hosts and all I can say is

THANK YOU !!

and that team of yours is pretty good !!

HeadSpun, Heeligan2, ping and 5 others repped this.
  19. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is one of the coolest posts ever on big soccer I can’t stop to say how amazing that is.amen to soccerhunter

HeadSpun and Heeligan2 repped this.
  20. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Anyone know if Emily Fox will play in College Cup?

21. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Nope, I believe that Emily's playing status will not be revealed until next Friday when folks in the stands see who is warming up.

Next: cudos to the USC players and coaching staff for a really challenging and exciting game. And to the USC fans who came all the way to cheer their team... I KNOW how you must be feeling today. (Been there, felt that!) But take pride in an excellent team and and good season past and prospects for a great season next year!

Finally, does anyone know how to access a full game video of the game via computer? (I don't have access to cable or satellite given how far out I live in the woods.) I'd like to re-watch this one.

22. jbs01

jbs01 Member

Oct 8, 2002
    carrboro
    You can look at replays of entire games on espn3 streaming, but only through internet. Wish I was in chapel hill so I could invite you over to see it, but not there now. Anyone else out there who could help us out with this?

23. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I have it on pretty reliable sources Emily Fox is done till next year. Unfortunate injury. Great to be at the game. Not the result I was hoping for. On a side note it was nice to see several UNC players at our hotel postgame to spend time with old friends. Very Classy

24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    What a bummer if this is accurate that Emily Fox is done this year. She is such a defensive force, and obviously can be an offensive force. It will take Anson’s very best tactical changes and the best from ever player to have a chance at a title.

25. Ronald Rocha

Ronald Rocha New Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Oct 14, 2017
    Top Drawer Soccer reports Fox has ACL