UNC 2014

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by uncchamps2012, Dec 1, 2013.

1. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fetzer Field is Bermuda Grass, as far as I know the same stuff they use at Kenan and Boshamer, surrounded by a well maintained track with two relatively modern facilities on either side of the field in Eddie Smith House & McCaskill Soccer Center.

Wrong thread? Or are you basing the condition of the field on what you saw Friday night, during the first game played below freezing and after a full week of freezing temperatures? That's pretty typical and I saw nothing that even hinted that the field was sub-standard by any standard short of European powerhouse clubs like the perfectly cut and maintained billiards table used by Arsenal at the Emirates, which if I remember correctly is also bermudagrass, just reinforced with some really fancy technology.

2. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I saw that by looking at the field in person and from talking to the team that played on the field. Saw several players trip in divots. There are so many nicer facilities out there than Fetzer. I am just wondering why they haven't done anything to upgrade that facility. And really, does anyone want to watch a game from behind a track?

3. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ha...at least you begin with a compliment!
    I agree with you. Every single place I have ever travelled to see unc had a much better field than unc, both in terms of facilities and the actual turf. We went to the weekend invitational at UVa last year- wow, that's one beautiful stadium and field. Wake forest is also very nice. Duke is decent. And then , of course, all the college cup sites have been first class-tamu , San diego, kennesaw. Wake med in Cary having such a nice field shows it can be done locally. Any green thumbs here who can explain this to us?

4. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Of course it can be done....just a question of spending the $$$ to get it done.

5. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's interesting I've never really felt like there was anything wrong with Fetzer from a players perspective. From a fan's perspective? Sure. Poor bleachers at poor angles, annoying track, etc. But from a players perspective, I've always viewed the field as OK, if not over used in a way that is difficult to prevent divets from forming on dry and cold nights. The grass used at Fetzer is bermuda, it's cut and water properly, and the ground holds firm but gives way appreciably. I've had a chance to run on it with cleats, thought it was a good surface and I don't think it's fair we are comparing it to a professionally run Cary Soccer Park. Six athletic team use Fetzer, SIX! Plus the football team uses the field sometimes. Not to mention UNC hosted both regional games Friday, UNC drawing the short straw and getting the second match when the field was already chopped up a bit by Seattle vs USC.

That being said, I will concede that it's frustrating that the most successful athletic program at UNC, and arguably in the country, doesn't get any reasonable money for upgrades except once every 10-20 years. UNC should have a place like UVa's Koskinen before we spend any more money to upgrade the Smith Center. I was also at that same UVa invitational last year. I was jealous beyond belief, but it was more from a fan's perspective, especially when it was raining and you could sit under a covered balcony.

The worst are rainy day's, which I'm afraid we're going to see today against a tough defensive squad in South Carolina.

6. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Because it wasn't a foul. You should watch the replay on ESPN3. Worth kicked the back to the Colo. player's leg, then went down. If anything, it should have been a foul on her.

7. Got Jukes?

Got Jukes? Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Shock ringing in the ACC!! The tide is changing :(....let's go ACC..... Stay strong!

8. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    ok. I am glad to know that... Will try to watch it.

9. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I have watched nearly every UNC women's game since 2006- many in person and most of the rest on video. I recall seeing UNC clearly outplayed 3 times- 2013 vs UVa, 2014 vs. UVa, and today vs. USC. I have seen them lose other games, but typically they still dominated the run of play. USC played better today and they CLEARLY wanted it more.
    (I didn't see the 4-1 loss in the 3rd round to UND a few years back, but presumably that was another one.)

10. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My sentiments as well. It was a bit disparaging, especially after they played so well on Friday, to see UNC get completely out played by South Carolina. Most of that credit has to go USC. They didn't sit back and wait for their opportunities, they got after it and gave Anson Dorrance a bit of his own medicine with lots of pressure.

Odd that I feel that UNC had its best game of the season and followed it up with their worst. In addition to the weird sensations, I felt like Summer Green had her best game of the season and was inches away from scoring 3 goals from good attacking movements.

Just not enough Joanna Boyles. Not nearly enough. Yet in spite of that she had the game in her hand at the end and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way. That was a great save by the USC keeper to keep her composure and hold her ground after the ball was bouncing all over the place. Joanna will see that in her sleep for a while, but that's not always a bad thing.

There were a lot of hard lessons to be learned today and this season, but UNC needs to learn them in order to come back stronger for next year. The entire attacking core of this team returns, plus the defense will be greatly reinforced. This team will have more Juniors & Seniors instead of Freshman & Sophomores, so the game will slow down for them, and that will only make this team, considering how it plays when its at its best, all the more dangerous.

Going to miss Murray & Elby. I'll be rooting for them wherever they go.

Go Heels!

11. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    We had to play without Elby for much of the season and still were pretty darn good. Murray is a HUGE loss. She makes so many of her plays look easy with her speed. Even as she is appreciated for being a real star, I still think it will be easy to underestimate the impact of losing her. It sort of reminds me of how Amber Brooks was known to be a quality player, but it still seemed like some of of underestimated the impact of her moving on. Hopefully , Hannah Gardner will be back, so that will be a pretty good exchange. I am also hoping that there is a way to move Katie Bowen to midfield. I think her attacking quality could be a big help if we can get a solid back line without her. Apparently, Scarpa in the back is not the plan once she is 100%, so someone is going to have to emerge.

12. babranski

babranski Member+

Dec 15, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I didn't see anything wrong with Maggie or Danae all season long. Plus I think we have a highly ranked freshman defender coming in next year, maybe? I'm not sure.

13. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Well, that was a disappointing way to end a season that has had more than its share of ups and downs. I thought Scarpa had an excellent game today, and I can see why Anson would like to get her further up the field as more of an attacking/distributional presence. Katie Bowen also looked very sharp. I agree we certainly will miss our seniors-- best of luck to each of them!

Thanks to the entire squad for what has been an always entertaining and sometimes outstanding season of soccer! On balance, we achieved quite a lot this year and had a better season than many would have predicted. We played very respectably against the best teams in 2014's D1 (and we played almost all of them!).

It would have been nice to see the Heels travel to Florida (twice) in the next couple weeks, but I'm already looking forward to next year. 2015 should be good for us! Go Heels!

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The season's end is indicative of what many of us have suspected. The playing field has levelled out and the days of UNC dominance are likely over. A 'contender' every year, yes. The dominant 'team to be beat' not so much. There is too much talent out there and now, more than ever, getting that talent to commit to your school is the number 1 priority (or certainly should be) of any top program. Players win games and if your 11 are better than their 11 you will have a good chance. I am of the opinion that the coach can make a difference when the talent is about equal and, over the years, Anson has held the upper hand in both talent and coaching ability. Those days may well be over.

Does UNC have the resources to personally 'scout' key opponents ? If not why not ? Watching game film is a poor excuse for actually having someone you trust be physically in attendance at the games of key opponents and likely contenders your team will face down the line.

A good (not great) season has come to an early (by UNC standards) end. Be interesting to see where the team goes from here. I have enjoyed being part of the discussion and will, for sure, be back next season. Meanwhile my own season has started up and I am heavily involved in that.

Take Care.

15. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    The longest period of time UNC has gone without winning an NCAA championship is TWO years. OK, they don't win every year, but think about that- they have never gone more than 2 years without winning an NCAA championship. They have a ton of talent and experience coming back. They have a top 3 or so recruiting class, including a top defender. I like their chances next year.

16. topsyturvy

topsyturvy Member

Oct 8, 2006
    31 goals scored this season. people say this program is fine?

17. GrassTopper

GrassTopper Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    In the past 14 seasons (2001-2014), Anson has only won 5 National Championships.
    In the previous 14 seasons (1987-2000), Anson won 12 National Championships.

In the next 14 seasons (2015-2028), Anson may only win 2 National Championships.
    It gets that much tougher as time goes by.

18. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    He's something like 62

19. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take it all back. Fetzer treated our girls really well this week.

20. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I've always taken you as the contrarian!
    So are you actually a gamecock fan?
    Will you be at the FSU gamecock game on Friday?
    Who do you like?

21. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a contrarian, just a huge Gamecock fan. Didn't think that the SEC was getting the love they deserve. Nice to see 3 out of the last 8 from our conference.

Yes, the entire family will be at the game on Friday. Thanksgiving as a travel day. Just like the old times of select soccer.

22. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Good luck!
    May the best team win!
    (And let that be FSU)

23. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or USC

Good luck to you as well

24. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    I was extremely impressed with the play of the Gamecocks on Friday. I am rooting for them for the rest of the tournament. No offense to Tom81 or FSU as I do also like the Seminoles, but I think there is something about the team that beats you winning it all that makes the loss seem more justified. That was the case for UNC in 2010 and 2013 (losing to eventual champions). We will be in Boca Raton and hope USC will be, too. I don't see how anyone could have seen the game on Sunday and not walked away with a huge amount of respect for USC. The game was a little chippy at times, but I see that as a result of USC just giving it 110% rather than anything dishonorable. USC's hustle and heart was completely off the charts. I have never seen anyone "out pressure" UNC in terms of playing at a sprint and contesting every ball, but that, among other things, was one of the reasons that the better team won yesterday.

I am #1 at present on the NCAA bracket prediction contest, but my bracket got busted Sunday as I had UNC winning it all. Actually, I think USC winning it all would be the best thing for my bracket, but that's not the only reason I am rooting for them.

jimhalpert- Do you still think I am a "homer"? :) I can see reality at least when it unfolds before my eyes!

25. uncchamps2012

uncchamps2012 Member

Jul 9, 2011
    the game recap says Alexa newfield is done. I guess I thought she would have reshirted, but I think she already did once. I was hoping to have her back next year.