Ulysses' Odyssey, cont'd: Llanez at SKN St. Pölten

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2018.

1. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so geeked... Uly is a stud. 8 goals in 5 games... two in this one and he didn't even start? Wow. Gotta be close to a 1st team call-up.

gogorath and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. sakibomb523

sakibomb523 Member+

Oct 13, 2009
    Orange County
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    VFL Wolfsburg is tied for first after 8 matches played. Let's hope Uly is invited to the winter camp and integrated into the first team then!

USSoccerNova and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have a linky to the highlights from yesterday?

4. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
    glutton4Bolts repped this.
  5. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually probably good that he can show coaches his ability to impact a game off the bench, as that’s all he’d get to do if called up to the first team.

Gacm32 and comoesa repped this.
  6. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that Sargent and Uly have latched on to clubs that really rate them.

7. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't find it yet.... but I can't read German so maybe I am not getting the most out of the site?

8. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    #158 Thundering165, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    It's usually up around the afternoon Eastern time. Keep an eye on that page. Neueste is German for newest.

ETA: Actually, it is up: https://tv.dfb.de/video/8-spieltag-a-junioren-bundesliga-alle-spiele-alle-tore/26470/

Looks like it went up about 7 minutes ago.

16 minute mark in the video for the Wolsfburg highlights.

Pl@ymaker, Gacm32 and glutton4Bolts repped this.
  9. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is fantastic. I assume they have this kind of recap weekly... I will have to tune in on Monday's to see it. Thanks for this.

His 1st goals was quite nice... I get frustrated with how many players are unable to lift the ball over the keeper on the one-on-one break away.... you most often seen them try to nutmeg or slide it on the ground to one of the corners and a large percentage of the time it deflects off the keeper's leg.

2nd goal was a gimme... but credit for being in the right place for that fantastic cross.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  10. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    when is llanez able to be registered for the first team?

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had no idea that there was any kind of time constraint... I thought that when he signed with Wolfsburg that he could have been called up to the 1st team immediately. Anyone know of such a rule?

12. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Yeah he does not need to be registered to the 1st team to make his debut.

He might though have to sign a new contract since he’s being paid peanuts on an academy deal to be eligible for a Bundesliga match.

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    that seems wild - is that common practice?

14. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I'm far from an expert, but my understanding is that you can play for the 1st team on an academy deal. I believe Soto still has an academy deal with Hannover, because he doesn't want to commit to a new, longer-term, pro deal with them, but he's obviously been in their first team.

And I remember when digging into Soto's and Gloster's contract situations towards the end of the summer, it was reported they were making 3000 Euros/month, which was pretty standard for a youth contract.

TarHeels17, Pl@ymaker and Thundering165 repped this.
  15. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i didnt think contracts had anything to do with it - i thought you had to be registered in a certain window to be eligible to play for a team regardless

16. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    AFAIK, there’s no registration by age groups in Germany. You’re registered to the whole club.

17. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    whats the point of the expanded 'sqad' you see on transfermarkt then?

18. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure it's like that all over Europe. If you're an academy player you can pretty much always be called up.

My guess is that he gets a good look in the winter camp. He just got to Wolfsburg and is probably just settling in to his life there. Let him have a couple more months of stability before jerking him around between the first team and the youth teams.

19. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well... he has only played in 5 games so far due to his injury... the numbers are ridiculous (8 goals)... but it would be a quick call-up for sure... even to start 2020. But I doubt they care all that much about him getting settled... if the 1st team needed him then they would do it. Wolfsburg is off to a fantastic start... but if he continues to strike at near this rate then he is going to force their hand.

Sometimes I wonder if Uly is being overlooked by some of the USMNT pundits... I always hear about Ledezma and Mendez... Even heard those names on Sirius XM FC this afternoon before the GB interview.... but Uly might be a but more under the radar...? He sure shouldn't be.

20. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Agree on Uly. I thought he was the best player in U20 CONCACAF Championships when I think consensus was Mendez.

Even if Mendez was better, it was pretty clear to me Uly had the better route to a higher ceiling. He's got the textbook skillset for his position -- explosion, strong ball skills, great at that cut in and shoot.

Out of the entire group of our young players playing in youth clubs in Europe, I think Uly is the most likely to carve a career at the first division. Followed probably by Richards. Richards and Ledezma probably have the most upside -- and Ledezma plays the shiny #10 like a #10... but Uly should probably be the next young player given a cup of coffee.

Our winger pool will look a lot different when Llanez and Weah are in it. We won't need to worry about the Corey Bairds of the world.

Winoman repped this.
  21. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Who came into the u20 game vs France in the second half on the left and made an immediate impact? Uly or Mendez? Thanks

Thundering165 repped this.
  22. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Uly. Was that a real question or comment on the above posts? I was about to say how could Mendez have been the consensus best player, but then I realized they were talking about CONCACAF U-20's, not U20 WC.

DHC1 repped this.
  23. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    real question with no bearing upon your prior post other than my personal confusion. I remember being quite impressed by the immediate and dynamic impact Uly made in that game but got confused if it was Uly or Mendez. Thank you.

twoolley repped this.
  24. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Mendez didn't have much of an impact in any game. His shot looked nice though.

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the looks of it he doesn't live in the barrio.