Ulysses' Odyssey, cont'd: Llanez at SKN St. Pölten

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Academy' started by TheFalseNine, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it was for the remainder of the season, I’d say to Bundesliga 2 teams... Give them a chance to get some reps and prove their worth and come back in 2020-2021.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Sizmik

Sizmik Member+

Dec 21, 2011
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No....it isn’t

3. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way does BVB entrust their 17 y.o. next-star-in-the-pipeline to an outside BL2 club. You can't make his career with a loan like that but you sure can F*** it up.

I'd also be pretty hesitant to loan out an 18 y.o. in his first year living abroad. Even if you are only looking at them with a 2 to 3 year timeline, both are doing well and don't need rushed.

4. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds reasonable... just hoping Reyna and Uly get at least some time with the senior clubs this season. <fingers-crossed>

Pl@ymaker and uniteo repped this.
  5. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Obviously, I'd like to see them get minutes too, but they're both still eligible for the next U-20 cycle, i.e., they're both still quite young. I'm more worried about the promising guys from the last U-20 cycle getting 1st team action at this point.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  6. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That... and the ones that have gotten minutes actually being able to stay healthy.

largegarlic repped this.
  7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You just need to chill and follow youth development for a few more years before you start making suggestions for how players should be developed. This is terrible advice.

8. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wrote this around the same time as the other Gio post that you absolutely foul mouthed me on. I got the memo the 1st time... but generally cooler and more informative responses are far more productive... perhaps just lay out your arguments and lay off the higher-than-mighty tone.?.?... but whatever. I come here to voice my opinion and learn. I can take harsh criticism... just think it could be more constructive.

9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    His criticism was constructive. Hit the rep button and don't respond if you want to be perceived as less sensitive.

taylor repped this.
  10. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My snarky tone is what pays the bills around here.

In any event you get my point. Just trust that these German clubs know exactly what they are doing in developing teenagers. It is a long and mostly frustrating process, but it can also be very enjoyable to watch these players turn from kids into professionals when it happens. It is a year by year thing though, not month by month.

We have a lot more decent prospects in Europe than we used to. Be glad you didn't start following ten years ago, where nearly all the prospects withered on the vine into nothing.

taylor repped this.
  11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the initial name calling in the Gio thread that was inappropriate... but you have certainly shown me w/ your most recent posts that was an anomaly. I appreciate your opinion in this last response... and can certainly see how my posts with respect to Uly and Gio were seen as too shortsighted... perhaps bordering on rash. While I have been rooting for the USMNT for ages, I have only recently (last 3 years) lost interest in the NFL in favor of my childhood sport Soccer. Now it seems like the only sport I even care about. We certainly seem to have a lot more talent in the Euro ranks now but it is hard to be patient after the T&T trainwreck. I think a lot of people were traumatized. Adams, CP and Dest seem like the best of the bunch right now but I am eager to see more... guess I will have to be patient.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  12. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    So 3 years ago you switched your attention to the USMNT from the NFL.....given what happened since to our team, perhaps you it to the rest of us to switch your allegiance to another sport/team in case it’s not just a coincidence. Were you a browns or jets fan by chance?

13. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough brother. Welcome to the club.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  14. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of us were traumatized by this. Our missing generation caught up with us. We all saw the signs of having multiple youth teams underwhelm but thought we would always make the WC by virtue of being in weak CONCACAF. We were so wrong. The newest youth teams have been the best I've seen but there is no rushing growing up. We just have to have patience and take our lumps and hope the penance was just the one WC and not two in a row. I think we'll be ok because a lot of the young talent is slowly creeping into first team plans. That will be enough for them to start matriculating to the full national team for qualifying. If we qualify even more talent will have mature and be ready to help.

taylor repped this.
  15. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My forum name has the clue... The Chargers. When you pair that with my favorite baseball team being the Padres you are left w/ someone who does indeed feel cursed w/ respect to my sports teams... but I am here to stay... sorry if you think I bring the curse with me :). In the case of the USMNT... I have watched every game since the 94 World Cup... and I casually watched the EPL/Bundesliga for a years... but my obsession w/ Soccer picked up when the Chargers moved to LA and my two youngest sons starting playing soccer. Now, I watch as much as I can get... between ESPN+, NBC Gold and Fox Soccer Match Pass. Any team that has a current/future USMNT player is one that I want to watch. It would be nice to get to the point where I literally had to pick and choose which game to watch due to the number of US Intls. I see a ton of promise... but I understand patience is something I better practice. Can't change it all overnight.

BTW... I still "root" for the Chargers but I don't watch most of the games any longer. Just got tired of all the injuries, biased holding calls / PI calls and commercial breaks.

16. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts Member+

United States
    Mar 18, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

17. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    You sound like a jinxed “cooler”, perhaps you should root for Mexico’s team....pretty please?

18. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Glutton... member since Mar 18. Adams removed from cup game roster due to groin injury - Apr 2. And look what's happened since. Coincidence?

19. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    where are the mods!!!!!!!?????

glutton...you know what you have to do.

glutton4Bolts repped this.
  20. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, what I agree with this. I'm sure Wolfsburg's training environment is great but Uly was way beyond the u19's when I saw him at the WC.

USSoccerNova repped this.
  21. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he is way beyond it he'll get PT soon.

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope so.

23. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just curious, after reading about his agent, has anyone actually seen this kid play an actual game?

24. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I have seen a full game but there are tons of highlights posted on this thread. I get it, highlights are just that, highlights, and they won't show things a player did wrong but with the sheer number of goals he's scored and the quality of those goals, as evidenced by the highlights posted on this thread, I think it is a relatively safe assumption that he's ready to move up.

DHC1, bballshawn and USSoccerNova repped this.
  25. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There were plenty of games for LA2 streamed... Hes looked a cut above the competition everywhere he's played