Ultimate Question.. If you had $$...

Discussion in 'Korean Domestic Leagues' started by hanul21, Feb 21, 2015.

1. kevinkim26

kevinkim26 Member

May 14, 2011
    New Yorker in Jeju, South Korea
    Club:
    Jeju United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Chook mentioned him already, but I want Farias back in our league. 2009 Pohang's AFC exploits still give me goosebumps.

hanul21 and chook90 repped this.
  2. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Plus he said his kid misses Korean friends. At least for the sake of the little kid :D

hanul21 and kevinkim26 repped this.
  3. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #28 chook90, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    I would bring SHM and Carlos Tevez.

KSY and LCY also welcome. Ki is quite a ladies' man. I would also convince LSW and other Barca boys (prolly Lee Kang In as well) to be loaned to my club for playing time.

Fernando Llorente
    Kiebling (Korean women went nuts when he came to Sangam for FC Seoul friendly)
    Reza Ghoochannejahd (he's a sexy looking guy)

4. TaegukRedDevil

Jan 30, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I would bring Ronaldinho Gaúcho, Frank Lampard, Gerrard

chook90 repped this.
  5. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    cristiano ronaldo

chook90, TaegukRedDevil and killaorca repped this.
  6. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If this happens (very unlikely, almost impossible) then K-league can potentially attract Chinese, Japanese, and other neighboring Asian tourists/football fans to their stadium. Those cheesy Kpop advertisers will flock to K-league stadium to grab the attention of Asian tourists. Then more attention will be paid to K-league......dfalfjaldskfjadslfj:x3:

TaegukRedDevil repped this.
  7. 10August2012

10August2012 Member+

Oct 28, 2012
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Sunnanå SK Skellefteå
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    imagine cristiano ronaldo on stage dancing with SNSD during half time thats a million dollar show make guap

chook90 and killaorca repped this.
  8. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I imagine that he will:

1) Light it up. Enjoy himself. C'mon he's a sexy guy. SNSD will be the shy ones, doing the iconic laughing/giggling with mouth covered with hand (and afterwards fanning themselves with left/right hand)
    2) Be really shy and awk....... kind of like when lee Jaesung and Lee Seungi danced with Kpop.
    3) Be f**king awked out
    [​IMG]

9. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seol Korea, kevinkim26, Chingoo and 3 others repped this.
  10. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Interesting conversation. As someone who is a die hard MLS fan and who follows K-League as best I can from the USA (thank you SpoTV for putting all of the games on You Tube), thought I'd add my thoughts/experience.

Someone mentioned Beckham, the value he brought to MLS can't be underestimated. It's no coincidence that the league has gone from struggling when he signed to being a very strong, vibrant growing league now. Being in the position now to bring in the likes of David Villa, Kaka, Lampard, Gerrard has spurred big TV deals including distribution in Europe now this year through Sky Sports for the UK and Eurosport for the rest of Europe.

Still, fans wouldn't stick of the quality of play was poor and the backbone of the league remains the national team players (of which there are plenty and growing in MLS) and lower cost but high quality Central & South American players. Most teams mine that region extensively as the quality is high and the salaries/stability is often much better in MLS.

When I look at K-League, the notion of trying to get a "Beckham like" guy doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense to me. The competition for such players is just too high. China & Middle East offers bigger dollars and for a number of reasons, MLS is more attractive to European players than K-League.

If I had the $ and I ran K-League or a K-League team, my focus would be on retaining my domestic players. Means having more national team players playing in the league and not losing quality players to Japan, China or Middle East. I can understand top quality players going to the big European leagues, and that can be good for the national team, but losing players to Japan, China and the Middle East shouldn't happen. Keep those players, lift the level of play of K-League, build the domestic fanbase and thereby building TV profile, etc. and then start to think about getting a big European/South American name.

In the meantime, Southeast Asia doesn't necessarily offer a wealth of talent so I'd continue to raid Central Asia and South America as the league has done.

That's just me.

11. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    What we need is more Dejan instead of Beckham, we need to find more hidden gems in the Eastern Europe.
    Also I would like to poach the best Asian players that is playing in Asian league.

hanul21, Kanuck, chook90 and 1 other person repped this.
  12. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    #37 chook90, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Unfortunately, as DynamoManiac's insightful post reminded me, I think K-league scouting for and attracting hidden gems in Europe and S. America will be more difficult now due to CSL and ME's activities.

Or perhaps my statements maybe not accurate. Chinese clubs with big budgets can attract in-form players from around the world rather than signing "has-beens" (with all due respect to these athletes) as Asian clubs have been doing for a while. Not sure about Middle Eastern clubs, but teams like Guangzhou Evergrande seems to be able to sign young and talented (not near-retirement stars) players now.

I think as this 2-year-old article suggests, one of the strengths of K-league is (or was:cry:) the relative strength of its domestic players compared to other AFC leagues.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1825559-assessing-the-current-state-of-football-in-south-korea
    So I think DynamoManiac astutely made a point that league should prioritize retaining high-level domestic players.

DynamoManiac repped this.
  13. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    China might have the money but I don't think they have the extensive scouting program. I'm saying we should more be like Porto, the way they find hidden brazilians and sell them at a high price, instead Chelsea and Manchester City. To combat China, I think we should just be more efficient with our money and hopefully win more ACL then them. This way their sugar daddies might feel discourage and maybe drop the football business.

TaegukRedDevil, chook90 and DynamoManiac repped this.
  14. ChaDuRi671

ChaDuRi671 Member+

Dec 30, 2010
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Someone like Ricardo Goulart. He has been amazing for Guangzhou Evergrande so far.

8 goals in 5 straight games.

15. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to post a link to this particular article, but James Young from ESPN writes about the dynamic between Brazilian players and the Chinese Super League.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/espn-fc-u...cardo-goulart-moved-to-china-with-good-reason

To summarize:

A) Though Chinese clubs importing Brazilian players is no news, since 2010, Chinese clubs were beginning to sign Brazilian players of higher value. Back in the "old days" most Brazilian players that went to CSL were near retirement or were small-name players who mostly transferred from lower division clubs.

But Guangzhou Evergrande's singing of Muriqui is marked as a beginning of the trend in which high-profile, big-club, and established players (not retirees) are flocking to CSL. The latest of this group is Ricardo Goulart

The writer summarizes 3 points on why this development formed:

1. Prominent European clubs' investment on Brazilian league players is declining.

2. Many Brazilian clubs are facing financial troubles. For example, major clubs are struggling to pay players' salaries. Established players are looking to play where pay is stable and contracts secure.

3. "Chinese League is improving". The writer also includes details regarding match attendance figures. I was surprised to read that many top-flight Brazilian clubs are struggling with attendances. CSL clubs, as many of us probably have seen, can have MASSIVE attendance figures. I guess this is one of those things professional footballers appreciate about CSL.

Almost forgot: many Chinese clubs rely on foreign players for creative/offensive threat. Because foreigner numbers are limited (I believe now it is 3+2), there is a niche that can be filled with individually talented/creative players, a small number of players who can create plays for the team. And Brazilian players are particularly used to, and are good at filling this niche.

wetcrispy, Kanuck and hanul21 repped this.
  16. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

great find chook90!

For years the chain of chart in East Asian football has been
    Financially: J-League>K-League>C-League.
    Continental Results: K-League>J-League>C-League

Now we’re seeing a shift…
    Financially: C-League>J-League>K-League
    Continental Results: K-League>C-League>J-League

China has the population, money, and interest in the sport. They have $$ for talented foreign players. The problem China has is that they lack in the home-grown talent portion. Yet the better managers they have and the better imports that play in the league, their domestic players will start to improve.

What I'm more concerned with is the national team picture. If China continues to invest in their league and begin to heavily invest in their youth programs, we’ll see a power shift in the East Asian region. Remember, China finally got the monkey off of their back when they got a win over us. There’s no way we can compete with China financially (even catching up to Japan financially would be tough) but hopefully our K-League clubs will start investing in their youth academies and start marketing to the local fan base more. It's surprising that a league with lower attendance#/$$ figures like ours can do so well in continental competitions compared to our neighbors (side note: we are definitely seeing an increase in attendance and $$ lately).

chook90 repped this.
  17. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    I think we can compete with China financially maybe not now but with proper investment they can. They just need to brand it better and keep producing quality players which hopefully will boast the revenue. A lot of people argue which league the K-league should follow ex mls, epl, j-league, but I think the K-league should try to follow k-pop. K-pop has major following all over Asia and even though Korea has smaller population and money compared to China and Japan, it's still very big and the most popular all over the World. Korea has the biggest entertainment industry in Asia so it already has a huge appeal all over the continent. They can piggybank that appeal. I think the K-league can be the premier league of Asia or the kpop of football. It just needs proper marketing and investment.

18. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

I can't see our league competing with China financially anytime soon. I'm sure Dario Conca's salary during his time at Guangzhou would've been able to support an entire K-League Classic club's salary. If we could start getting our corporate conglomerates like LG/Samsung/Hyundai/KIA to start splashing the sort of money they put in European sponsorships into our league, then we would see a difference.

chook90 repped this.
  19. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Eh sorry guys. Mistake on my part.
    After a cursory search through Wikipedia :p, I've found that CSL limits number of foreigners to 5 per team. It is 4+1 (4 players of any nationality + 1 AFC nationality).

Each game, a team is allowed to use up to 4 foreign players. Without further clarification from wiki, I believe it is implied that this matchday limit is the typical AFC regulation: 3+1.

Btw guys, if the K-league allows foreign Goal Keepers, would you spend the hypothetical annual $$$ on a GK?? I would consider bringing someone like Roman Weidenfeller. Not that I think he'll be allured to Korea.

:eek: There actually was a period of time when K-league was more financially powerful than CSL???!!!

20. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    foreign k-league keepers will never happen. We use to, but that was banned in 2001 or some shit. I think a long-time Soviet Union keeper who had played 10 years or so in Korea naturalized and became a Korean citizen so that he can continue to play in the K-League after no foreign goalkeeper rule was in effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeri_Sarychev

chook90 repped this.
  21. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think pretty much everyone in this sub forum is aware of 신의손 lol
    he's still coaching in Korea

chook90 and hanul21 repped this.
  22. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    China announced its soccer reform and development plan,sets goal of hosting World Cup.

According to the plan, the Chinese Football Association will be a fully independent legal, and The football management center, which is a governmental agency, will no longer exist

Regarding the C-League, based on the Currentlly CFA League Council and CSL management company, the New CSL Council and China League Council will be established, both will be separate legal entity, means the CFA will nolonger holds equity of the League, currenttly the CFA holds 36% of the stocks of the CSL company.

In regulations announced earlier, the League council had forbid club to relocate away from their current province, and set up promotion/relegation between China League 2 and CAL, which is the 3rd level and the 4th level.

The Shares of football club will be open to Private shareholders and local government, currentlly it only opens to Government owned or private owned companies. encorages local governments invests football clubs with facilities and infrastructure, encorages clubs to use Neutral names instead of sponsor names.

The League will be expanded, in earlier plan announced by the CFA, The CSL will have 18 clubs in 2022, while China League 1 will expand to 20 clubs, China League 2 will expand to 24 clubs.

chook90 and hanul21 repped this.
  23. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think privatization (hopefully more than nominal privatization) of the various organizations in Chinese football is a good development.

24. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Carlos Tevez would have been a good signing.

25. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The league needs a villain, goddammit.