UK General Election 2017

Discussion in 'Elections' started by The Biscuitman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Ooh you only lost by about 700 last time around! Big Leave vote there though, and quite a few Kippers who will push up the Cons numbers now.

Looks like you are up against it but fair play to you, some seats will be turned, why not yours I guess.

My vote goes under Wokingham. Literally no point in me voting tbh (though obv I will). Not only will the Cons stroll to victory but they will do so with the most Tory of all Tories, as sleazy and creepy as they come.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, I think the Telford tourist board actually use that phrase on their advertising.
    John 'Take me to your leader, earthling' Redwood... this guy.

[​IMG]
    As my old dad used to say, 'Only his mother could love him'. TBH I'm not sure even THAT criteria applies to that fella. :D

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    BTW, just on that point, we're hoping that a lot of those were labour who felt that Jezza, like most of his heroes from the past, (guys like Tony Benn and Michael Foot), was never really a true believer in the whole 'euro' malarkey. I think I said before, I felt bad for voting to remain in the EU in 1975 for that very reason.

Anyway, my thinking is that at least some of them didn't feel as if they'd left the fold when they voted to leave so hopefully they'll come back again.

Of course, we've also got to convince them we're the better option.

I see he's gone for the 'standard' labour ground rather than trying to 'out-brexit' them and that's obviously the plan. Whether that'll be successful in the long run remains to be seen.

My guess is, not but, y'know... we'll see.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As if we couldn't guess...

... and the mystery of why she's called it now, continues.

5. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    She may think it's going to get worse.

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ya think? :D

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking atm. Things are going OK for the moment so she can push the 'competency' meme but if it starts to go tits up, that sounds rather hollow.

Len McClusky, (of Unite who pay a lot of money to labour, historically), said he'd continue to support Jezza for another 15 months, (that was about 3 or 4 months ago), and if we do badly in the local elections even that will look generous.

So over the next 12 months the follow could happen...

1. The economy started to look a but sick.
    2. Labour replaces Jezza with someone more palatable. Yvette Cooper, say.
    3. The EU talks are going badly because the foamy mouth brigade in her own party wanted to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike on Brussels.
    4. The tories have to re-run 20+ by elections and they lose some of them because of the current position, (their majority is only 17, don't forget, so they can only afford to lose 9 anyway).

Her position could start to look very shaky.

So she's jumped to shore up her position.

7. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Pretty much, other than I doubt Cooper would have/will replace Corbyn.

8. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just thought of her as she asked a decent question in the commons the other day. There was not real design in it other than that.

Anyway, I remember some fella from the party saying that labour had been on an election footing now for some months. This filled me with confidence and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

At LAST, I thought... they're getting their act together. Victory is assured :)

Until I read my latest email missive from the party, received today, in response to my email to them asking where and when they wanted me to come in for some canvassing work...

Dear Member

The national Labour Party have put together a page for those interested in putting their name forward to be a parliamentary candidate. I thought this would of been sent to all members but the party have only promoted this on Social Media. I therefore have inserted the link below for anyone interested. You have until Sunday.

Er... hang on. I was thinking more about helping. :cautious: I didn't realise they actually wanted me to do the job for them :eek:

:D

I'm guessing it was a round-robin sort of thing that they thought they'd send out just to cover all the bases. Y'know, so nobody could complain they hadn't been asked but, y'know... it looked a bit odd, shall we say :D

9. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    It WILL get worse, the CPS will bring charges against enough Tory MP's it puts 2015 into question, the Tories are desperate to scrap their no increase in tax pledge now that them winning is secure etc

10. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    I mentioned to someone I know that I would like Cooper to take over in a couple of months. Jarvis would be good but he doesn't seem to want it. I also like Chucka but I assume the media have some dirt on him after how quickly he backed out last time.

11. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Cooper's chance was 2015. It was there for the taking by any of them, but none could put forward a position that didn't feel like more of the same. Corbyn's successor will have to be a unity candidate - it will almost certainly rule out anyone who refused to work with him in cabinet from the outset.

12. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed. It was similar to Hildawg in the states. The 'more of the same candidate'.
    It's difficult to think of anybody who comes across well AND didn't throw a hissy fit when he was elected. I get they wanted their guy/gal to win but, ffs fellas... at least TRY and see what he does before throwing a wobbly.

I mean, if he starts coming out with some crazy shit like nationalising everyone's cat, or whatever, then fair enough, leave. But to piss off right at the start? :(

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jarvis doesn't come across that well. He's a bit wooden.

Chucka comes across well but he's too much of a blairite for most people in the party. It's not JUST about their appeal to a 'big brother' type audience. There's policy as well.

14. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Keir Starmer would be the obvious one who is probably palatable to both wings of the party, but I'm not sure he wants it. I don't think Clive Lewis would have him quitting over Article 50 held against him, and would probably have been back in the shadow cabinet before a 2020 election. The media appear to have been going with Rebecca Long-Bailey being the lefts long term option, but I think Richard Burgon is more likely from that side. Angela Raynor has probably been the most impressive of the younger crop in their briefs.
    There's no outstanding candidate in waiting, but the same can be said for the Conservatives as well.

15. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Burgon or maybe Ashworth.

Long-Bailey comes across a bit... well... odd. Well, to me, anyway. These are very personal choices, obviously.

I know if I listen to Barry Gardiner for any extended period I feel like self-harming :D

lanman repped this.
  16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  17. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Spent a couple of hours going around yesterday. It wasn't too bad but we've only got time to hit the people already listed as likely labour voters based on records of voting intentions.

The tories are talking of closing down the local A&E and moving it to Shrewsbury, about 20 miles away.

19. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Good job Andy....:oops:

[​IMG]

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another couple of hours again today. This time in a posh(ish) area of southern Telford, (yes... there is such a thing :D).

Hit more 'sales headwind' this time... including one fella who said 'You must be joking cocker' when I said I was from the labour party.

Also getting some people mentioning Corbyn today.

But, still a little ways to go I suppose.

roby repped this.
  21. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    You remind of some lyrics from the sequel to "Beaches". I think it was Sons of Beaches!

Did you ever know that you're my hero, / And everything I would like to be? / I can fly higher than an eagle, / For you pass wind beneath my wings.… :whistling:

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So true... so true :)

:giggle:

23. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    The more I see of the Labour manifesto the more I like it.

24. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Got a link?

25. The Biscuitman

The Biscuitman Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Club: