Julian "Ned" Ryerson at Borussia Dortmund

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, May 27, 2019.

1. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks to the translation of @Ceres, who apparently is our man for more than just detailed explanations of all things Danish, I can now report that Union Berlin '97 Julian Ryerson has an American-born father. Don't have much more detail about the depth of his connection to the U.S., but it seems worth a thread anyway.

[​IMG]

https://www.fc-union-berlin.de/en/football/firstteam/squad/detail/Julian-Ryerson-13488r/2018-19-59j/

He is Norwegian-born and apparently has been involved with the NYNTs. With that said, Norway apparently recently (like, late last year) began allowing dual citizenship. Whether that will ever matter is well beyond my pay grade, but I though I'd mention it.

He joined Union, which is heading to B1 next season, from Viking.

https://www.viking-fk.no/spillere/18.julian-ryerson

T'Markt page:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/julian-ryerson/profil/spieler/370789

For posterity, here's the post where Ceres came through, which includes the YouTube video of the interview he helped with:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/seeking-a-norwegian-speaker.2104021/#post-37815917

2. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somebody better tell Mix Diskerud, Bjorn Johnsen and Espen Baardsen.

I *think* the new rules apply to those who naturalize to Norwegian citizenship and those who acquire a new citizenship in addition to Norwegian.

https://www.norway.no/en/usa/norway-usa/news-and-events/new-york/news/new-rules-on-dual-citizenship/

Currently, Norwegian citizenship is lost if the Norwegian citizen actively applies for another citizenship. (Id. § 23.) Citizens, including children who obtain two or more citizenships at birth, also lose their citizenship if they have not lived for two years in Norway or seven years in another Nordic country by the time they are 22 years old. (Id. § 24.) The current rules on Norwegian citizenship do not require persons who acquired two citizenships at birth to renounce their Norwegian citizenship. (§§ 23 and 24 Citizenship Act e contrario; Dual Citizenship, UDI (last visited Feb. 5, 2019).)

https://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/norway-parliament-votes-in-favor-of-dual-citizenship/

Winoman and Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    I confess I haven't thought about this in a while, but isn't this the bit that ended up leading to Baardsen (and maybe Hangeland?) having to renounce U.S. citizenship? Could be I just don't remember these episodes clearly.

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't find anything about Baardsen renouncing citizenship, but he is a very well paid finance guy, so I can see a reason to stop filing US taxes annually.

Winoman repped this.
  5. MHaifa1913

MHaifa1913 Moderator
    Staff Member

Metro
    United States
    Dec 21, 1998
    New York, NY, USA
    Club:
    Maccabi Haifa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am always amazed at how the YA forum on BigSoccer has made us all experts in citizenship laws of the US as well as various other countries.

Perhaps we can start a firm and advertise our services on inner city buses along with $100 divorces.

Gacm32, adam tash, Rahbiefowlah and 6 others repped this.
  6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Like I said, haven't thought about this for a while. Memory may be rusty.

7. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman, sakibomb523 and UniversalAdvice repped this.
  9. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  10. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Member

Sep 27, 2014
    H/T to @ChuckMe92

Gacm32, Rahbiefowlah and autobus39 repped this.
  11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Position?

12. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He played right back yesterday against RB Leipzig. Sent in a couple of good crosses during the part of the game I saw, including one he was able to get off on a full sprint against Adams. Also committed a couple of fouls and was burnt once.

Gacm32, Ghost, edcrocker and 1 other person repped this.
  13. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench today. The match starts at 9:30 eastern on Fox Soccer Match Pass.

Highlights from last week:
    He is beat trying the mark the run in the Union left channel at :51 leading to a chance. Unsuccessfully tries to mark 2 men on the third goal (1:44).

Winoman, BostonRed and edcrocker repped this.
  14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    FWIW, Soccer-Talents lists an '04 named Martin Ryerson with a club in Lyngdal, where Julian is from. Could be a brother, a relative, or an unrelated dude with the same last name from the same general area. That certainly narrows it down!

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  15. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the bench for the Berlin derby which starts at 2:30 eastern. Game is on FS2 and Fox Deportes.

Ryerson came off the bench in the 85th minute in a 2-0 loss to Bayern Munich last weekend.

edcrocker and BostonRed repped this.
  16. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He is playing left wingback

edcrocker and Winoman repped this.
  17. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union lose 4-0

He had a nice entry pass from a deep position that was dummied on for a half chance. Defensively he and the left center back were split after he just came on leading to a Hertha half chance. Otherwise it was a pretty quite half an hour mostly passing back when he got on the ball.

18. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UniversalAdvice repped this.
  19. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Winoman repped this.
  20. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, all those faces look like they’ve been photoshopped onto those bodies. Weird.

21. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ryerson came off the bench in the 73rd minute of a 1-1 road draw with Gladbach today.

22. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Came off the bench in the 80’, in a 1-1 draw against Freiburg

BostonRed and Winoman repped this.
  23. EXALIFTIN

EXALIFTIN Member+

Nov 23, 2010
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. SoccerKamps

SoccerKamps New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jun 4, 2019
    Just wanted to update everyone, but because of the pandemic Norway had to name an entirely new squad of 18 for their Nations League game against Austria on 11/18. Julian was included and made his debut for the Norwegians as they tied 1-1 against the Austrians.

This cap-ties him to Norway and takes any small chance of being a USMNT player away.

25. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Just confirming: They're brothers.