UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar :: 11/15, Las Vegas [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bison1997, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could be a good one, folks. The first part of the HW tournament and a couple of fun undercard fights.

LIVE MATCHES
    * Randy Couture (c) vs. Brock Lesnar (Heavyweight title)
    * Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson
    * Nick Catone vs. Amir Sadollah
    * Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Josh Hendricks
    * Demian Maia vs. Nate Quarry

TAPED MATCHES
    * Dustin Hazelett vs. Tamdan McCrory
    * Jorge Gurgel vs. Aaron Riley
    * Jeremy Stephens vs. Rafael dos Anjos
    * Mark Bocek vs. Alvin Robinson
    * Matt Brown vs. Ryan Thomas

-- Couture catches Lesnar in a mistake and taps him Round 2.
    -- Florian vs. Stevenson could be a lot of fun.
    -- Hazelett vs. McCrory really should be on the live card.

2. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    I agree with the above if lesnar doesn't GNP couture out early. I'm also very interested to see demian Maia fight again. I really enjoy watching slick bjj players.

3. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Amir had to pull out due to a leg infection so the barn cat and mclovin has been promoted to the telivised portion of the event.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That sucks

5. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really sucks for Amir - I think he's a decent fighter and want to see more of his fights - but am excited for Hazelett vs. McCrory to be on the main show.

6. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    * Kenny Florian vs. Joe Stevenson

This is the match that interest me. This is why I am renting the pay for view.

I would be amazed if Randy loses to the fat guy. He does not have a lot of submissions but he has enough for this guy to end it early like Mir did.

7. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    May not be able to watch it tomorrow as its the day of my sisters wedding. (She and her fiancee are both MMA fans as well).

8. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Wow....TKO Brock is the new heavyweight champ. Classy by lesner to thank couture after the fight. I was rooting for Couture. Lesner's strength was too much for Randy. Randy got caught.

Ken-Flo was amazing tonight as well. He's so fun to watch and his technical skill is amazing. I can't wait for Ken-Flo vs. BJ Penn

9. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Brock Lesnar is the first person to ever win both the WWE Championship and the UFC Heavyweight Championship. :D

Personally, I'm LMAO at all the purists that think it terrible he won (cough*Sherdog*cough). This is from there:

Seriously though, I don't think they realize that he brings in a completely different fanbase (the wrestling fans), and that means more PPV buys, more eyeballs watching, and hence more money into the sport. Plus, to borrow a pro wrestling term, he'll make a good heel-style champion. Most of the MMA fans hate that he came in and won and they'll cheer hard for whoever is in the opposite corner to beat him.

On ESPN's post-fight show last night (with Mir acting as analyst), they brought up a good point. That pretty much the only person that can beat him has to be good at submissions.

10. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Of course, they forget that Lesnar has a Freestyle Wrestling background. When one watches his fight with Mir, Lesnar had a very good ground game. The main concern then was his stand-up routine.

They were expecting some of the largest revenues in their history from this event. Lesnar makes a natural heel, which suits UFC fine since they want the fighters to be themselves.

Mir should know that. That's how he ended up beating Lesnar.

11. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a big MMA fan (though I live in one of the big hot beds of the sport), but I really don't understand this. Lesnar was an NCAA champion, who stayed in a field where he had to remain in top physical condition and use those same skills to at least some degree. So what's the big deal? This isn't like it's a guy coming from completely out of left field. He's big, he's strong, he's fast, and he's trained in at least half the sport.

12. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Because Brock lost his first UFC bout vs Frank Mir. So why couldn't Frank Mir fight for the title? Also, Antonio "Minotauro" Nogueira was the Champ, until Randy 'The Natural' Couture came back. Why couldn't "Minotauro" fight the Natural? I know that the UFC had the Frank Mir vs. "Minotauro" fight set in stone & has a TV series for it. It is just a shame that a guy that has a UFC record of 1-1 (ok, now 2-1) and holds the belt. That is what the big stink is about. If you think that is fair, then you really should follow the sport more. Many felt there were more deserving candidates for this fight. I know Fabricio "Vai Cavalo" Werdum has come out about this issue & has stated that this was one of the reasons why he left the UFC. We shall see how long Lesner can hold onto his belt.

13. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    His records 3-1 now after last nights fight.

Once Lesnar learns proper submission defensive and gets better on the ground he could be almost unstoppable given his size.

14. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    I clearly stated 2-1 in the UFC, not his overall record. Look at my post & you will see it.

1. Win Randy Couture TKO (Punches) UFC: 91 11/15/2008
    2. Win Heath Herring Decision (Unanimous) UFC 87: 8/9/2008
    3. Loss Frank Mir Submission (Kneebar) UFC 81: 2/2/2008
    4. Win Min Soo Kim Submission (Punches) K-1 HERO's: 6/2/2007

15. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He got his spot because he's a draw. And if Dana White was going to be paying him the salary he's paying, it doesn't make sense to have him do prelims.

This could've easily blown up on him by getting fed to the wolves too quickly, and it's a testament to Lesnar's talent it hasn't. His three UFC fights have included two guys that were UFC heavyweight champions (one of whom is a legend in the league) and a longtime PRIDE standout, and he's 2-1 in those matches. If I were managing his career, he really should have fought a couple tomato cans in quick succession.

Plus, as far as 3-1 and UFC Heavyweight Champion, who else is there in the UFC heavyweights? There's a 4-man tournament going on where Lesnar beat Couture and placed himself in the finals where it'll either be Lesnar-Nogueira or Lesnar-Mir II. There's Gabriel Gonzaga and who else? Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski went to a different promotion, Cro Cop is in Japan, and Fedor's not signing with UFC anytime soon.

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    There was an interview I know The Score network did here in which Dana White said he wanted Lesnar to build up experience before even coming to UFC. Lesnar apparently wanted to be there and got his wish.

17. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    If Lesner can hit you he can hurt you. That is the great equalizer.

We don't know but I suspect if lesner get's hit hard 3 or 4 times he might quit.

Randy's game plan stand him up and puch him around after three rounds Lesner gasses out. Then Randy takes him down and ground and piunds him out.

--------------

Mir v Nogera. Lesner fights the winner who will be Nogeria and he submits Lesner.

That is how it will go.

I believe Gonzaga could also beat Lesner without much trouble. That will be Lesners fight after he loses to Nogeria.

Then they will bring in Slice to fight Lesner.

18. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Florian was amazing against a guy of the Caliber of Stephenson. Never thought he would beat him so easily.

I would like to see Sherk vs Florian again, but that is not to be unless BJ loses to GSP. If and when BJ loses to GSP anything could happen.

Sherk has to fight someone perhaps Stevenson.

19. BrightEyesLA

BrightEyesLA New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Florian is a great fighter. i honestly enjoyed his fight more then the lesnar fight. florian makes it look easy at times.

20. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Just remember guys, The last person to win the UFC hvywt title in only his 4 th MMA bout was....... Randy "The Natural" Couture.

Lesnar has the athletic ability, desire and work ethic to be a very good champion.

I don't understand how Kenny Florian gets so little respect in the MMA world. He would hold his own against ANY 155er, BJ Penn included. Penn would win but Kenflo wouldn't get dominated.

21. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good points all, but at the end of the day, UFC is a business and this was a great way to get publicity and draw a house.

I think Nog runs the table in this tournament, but we'll see what happens.

-- Great show. I can't recall ever seeing an entire card on PPV before - with all the finishes, they had time to show all of the taped matches.

-- I knew Hazelett/McCrory had the potential to be fun.

-- I'm excited for Penn/Florian.

22. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Florian is amazing and he has that skinny little body. Which makes him look even more amazing when he beats guys of the caliber he is beating now.

But BJ has a punch like a prize fighter. He would have to avoid those punches and take him down to the ground or kick him from further out. If they go down to the ground it would be very interesting. But pen is an animal on the ground even more then Florian.

But that would be some fight. I hope it happens.

23. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Because of Lesners size I don't believe he can win match that goes the full 5 rounds. He would gas out after 3 rounds.