UFC 88: Breakthrough: Sept 6th, Atlanta [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Robdog, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Ok MMA junkies, where you at?? Two weeks before this match of top LHW contenders Chuck 'Iceman' Liddell v Rashad 'Suga' Evans. Winner could be in line to fight Forest next for the belt. Here is a lil' interview w/ Liddell. Looks to have some nice match-ups. Rich Franklin & Matt Hamill should be a nice bout. Dan Henderson looks to have a tuff match against Rousimar Palhares. Martin Kampmann is going to take on Nate Marquart. I am looking forward to this event.

[youtube]v/yo_5knhgNvs[/youtube]

2. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Re: UFC 88: Breakthrough: Sept 6th [R]

Looks like a very good event. I'd pick Liddell, Marquardt, Henderson and Franklin.

Altho I think marquardt and franklin will have their hands full. Henderson is just too good for Palhares and Evans just doesn't excite me as a fighter. I have yet to see him really step up and look like a true contender.

3. xisco7

xisco7 Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Washington, D.C.

rashad better not spoil the party. I say liddell by KTFO and then moves on to fight forrest as rumored.

I really do not see an upside to Rashad winning.

4. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali

Well, he survives & beats Liddell, then he remains undefeated. Also you can call it the end for Liddell as a contender. I don't know what you mean by upside. Fighters win, lose, or draw. Are you talkin' about media crap??? This is a fight. I want to see strategy, technique, & skills. The rest doesn't matter to me.

5. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LIVE MATCHES
    * Rashad Evans vs. Chuck Liddell
    * Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill
    * Karo Parisyan vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
    * Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares
    * Martin Kampmann vs. Nate Marquardt

PRELIMINARY CARD
    * Kurt Pellegrino vs. Thiago Tavares
    * Tim Boetsch vs. Mike Patt
    * Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim
    * Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan
    * Jason Lambert vs. Jason MacDonald

-- Gotta think the winner of Evans/Liddell gets the next shot at Forrest Griffin. I kinda think Evans is in over his head here, but I've thought that about him before.

-- Franklin moves up to 205 as there's no point to him trying to fight his way back to another Anderson Silva loss. Big test for both.

-- Henderson really needs to win here.

-- Hopefully we get at least one Karo Parisyan Judo throw.

6. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Karo is fighting another good Judoka so this could be a very interesting fight to watch.

7. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali

You can wake Chuck up now[​IMG]

8. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, Karo threw out his back in training and his fight had to be scratched.

-- So, anyone catch this one? Rashad adds another entry to the all-time highlight reel knockout list. I mean, little birds were flying around Chuck's head there.

-- Good night of fights. I felt bad for Mark Hamill's legs and kidneys after all of those kicks from Rich Franklin.

9. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Come on bro, I started this thread. Of course I saw it. I almost predicted it. I thought Rashad would dance, make Chuck mad & Chuck would get frustrated. I didn't expect the KO though. I thought Suga would slam Chuck & gnp him. Grab a blanket for Chuck, he looks a bit cold on the canvas:p

10. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    Good card.

Palhares looks the real deal even in his loss to Hendo. Marquadt was impressive.

I don't like Evans at all but WOW what a great KO! His punch was just a little faster than Chucks uppercut.

Another top notch card from the UFC.

11. mintone

mintone New Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Seattle
    What about Lyoto Machida?

12. xisco7

xisco7 Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Washington, D.C.

good call robdog. I have nothing personal against rashad, just that I thought he was a boring fighter beforehand. See evans v ortiz.
    That knockout was great, I think maybe KO of the year so far.

first fight had some good hustling in it but it was noticeable that it was an undercard fight...

the marquardt fight was a good change of pace...marquardt v. franklin at 185 would have been interesting.

palhares is a tough SOB, there were times during the fight where hendo looked like he was about to crumble from fatigue...i dont think hendo is ready to rematch anderson though.
    I'd like to see more palhares...I think palhares v. filho would be more than interesting.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001

Once I saw the Bill Gates shirt, I knew I wanted Rashad to win. Great moment.

Although I really want to see Machida get a title shot in the near future.

14. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Just in case people don't believed that this happened
    [​IMG]

15. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  16. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    [youtube]08OJHSQxRLs[/youtube]

17. pupusa3000

pupusa3000 Member

May 15, 2001
    East Bay Area
    Rumor is Chuck got KTFO so bad he crapped his pants! :eek:

Doubt its true, but what if...

18. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    I think people are ducking him.

19. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Absolutely right on that one. LHW that can move are dangerous. Look at Forest, Rashad, & The Dragon. All are mobile & can move. Also these guyz have great cardio. They are dramatically changing the LHW around the MMA world.