News: UFC 101 :: Declaration :: 8/8 :: Philly [R]

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Bison1997, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Bison1997

Bison1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 30, 2001
    RFK - Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it looks to be a top-heavy show, there are good fights throughout.

LIVE MATCHES
    -- B.J. Penn (c) vs. Kenny Florian (UFC Lightweight Title Defense)
    -- Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva vs. Forrest Griffin (Non-Title Fight)
    -- Johny Hendricks vs. Amir Sadollah
    -- Ricardo Almeida vs. Kendall Grove
    -- Josh Neer vs. Kurt Pellgrino

TAPED MATCHES
    -- Shane Nelson vs. Aaron Riley
    -- John Howard vs. Tamdan McCrory
    -- Thales Leites vs. Alessio Sakara
    -- Dan Cramer vs. Matthew Riddle
    -- George Roop vs. George Sotiropoulos
    -- Jesse Lennox vs. Danillo Villefort

-- Penn finishes with a submission in Round 4. Won't be easy, though.
    -- Silva wins by TKO in Round 2.
    -- Looking forward to seeing Sadollah and Sotiropoulos fight. Haven't seen much of either.

2. Swag Flu

Swag Flu Member+

Sep 11, 2008
    Lo$ $candalou$
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'm looking forward to the Almeida and Grove fight. I've been a Grove fan for a while now. Hopefully all is right, and he's back on track. He's shown he's turned the corner on his career in his last few fights, imo. I think Penn should win rather easily, and Silva should win easily if Forrest tries to stand with him.

3. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anyone find a stream?

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Hendricks-Sadollah fight was too quick but them's the breaks.

Could not believe how the Silva-Griffin fight ended. Unbelievable.

5. Robdog

Robdog Member+

Oct 20, 2002
    Rancho Cordova, Cali
    Why???? A Silva is the best pound for pound fighter. He could go down to 170 & take GSP's title. Don't believe what the rest of the UFC fans thinks. I know people hated on him after his last fight, but this guy is for real.
    [​IMG]

6. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    I'm sure he wasn't referring to Silva's skills. I'm assuming he is referring to the way in how Silva moved up a weight class and still dominated one of the top LHW's in the world.

As Penn showed, moving up a weight class and giving away a strength advantage is not to be taken lightly. Griffin is big even by LHW standards, and that is not something to be taken lightly.

That Silva made Griffin look like someone who hasn't fought in a cage before was impressive. It was one of the most dominating performances I've seen. I thought Silva would win this fight but not this easily.

7. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Kinda strange how this was the second straight early stoppage of highly regarded TUF alumni (Nover being the other). Too bad for Sadollah especially after all the problems he's had staying healthy. This must be tough for him to deal with mentally.

8. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely wasn't questioning Silva's skills; there's no doubt he's a great fighter and my crew was looking forward to this fight. It's just how Silva KO'ed Griffin was unbelievable and a little funny. Silva seem to be toying with him--dodge, dodge and not even a full punch but a bop to Griffin's head as Griffin stepped in. I didn't even see the punch happen in real time until they showed it on the replay.

9. Swag Flu

Swag Flu Member+

Sep 11, 2008
    Lo$ $candalou$
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Silva/Griffin fight was a bit bizarre at the end. I'm not doubting Griffin being hurt from that jab, but he did get up rather quickly afterwards and walked off on his own with no noticeable problems. Good win for the top P4P MMA guy.

Penn is THAT dude. I always said I never liked him above his weight class, and I NEVER liked anyone against him at that weight. Too much skill for anyone else in his weight realm.

I also felt bead for Sadollah. He looked like he could've kept going.