PBP: UEL - Manchester United FC vs FK Astana - Sep 19, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford is such a bad finisher. He's the guy you expect not to finish 1v1.

MizzouMUFC repped this.
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Chong strikes me as a guy that could be a future starter or a guy that could not make it at the PL level. He has the skill but his decision making, reading of the game, and confidence all seem like weak points right now. All things he can improve, but we'll have to wait and see.

3. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He really is. He has no finesse to his game. Rash seems like a guy that can make it here long term as a winger or a striker in a two forward setup, but he can never be the lone 9. He has too many holes in his finishing and hold up to play that role for a big team. Martial is far superior as a 9.

Amdrag repped this.
  4. Amdrag

Amdrag Member+

Jun 10, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mizz is a johno sock account confirmed!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

johno, benni..., Chaz Striker and 3 others repped this.
  5. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lol

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    further to this, you forgot Fred also hit the bar and almost scored a FK. not really signs he has turned a corner but we welcome the good over the bad. i thought he also gave the illusion that Matić wasn't a ferry out there with his mobility and engine. made the midfield look mobile if you will.

as for Tuanzebe i agree. i saw him on tour live vs liverpool and posted here that he just doesn't panic. even against aggressive pressing he plays at his own pace. you can't rush him. seems to be his MO in life, not just football.

he also strikes me as the kind of player that is rustproof. i.e. he comes in with a high base level of form. doesn't need a run of games to get into the groove. he looked even better compared to Matić who get left on his ass for dead (covering for Young though at LB) and Jones who almost lost his balance about 5 times in the second half alone.

we recently tied him down to a new deal right?

johno repped this.
  7. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he has the technical ability to finish consistently but he just thinks too much and gets caught between two minds. If he just relied on his instincts he’d improve so much.

9. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    not so sure. right now his instinct is to have wild speculative shots from distance and to do it all himself at times.

even worse if these are active conscious decisions

Amdrag and johno repped this.
  10. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Yep, signed right before the summer tour.

Deadtigers and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Missed the match and only saw 10 min odd highlights but Rashford should have had a brace. Happy for Greenwood but can any one tell on scale of 10 how decent were the kids ? Rashford (only 21), Gomes, Greenwood & Chong.

12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Opta stats
    • Manchester United are unbeaten in their last 12 games in the Europa League (W9 D3), keeping eight clean sheets in this run.
    • The average age of Manchester United's starting XI against Astana was 24 years and 145 days; their youngest in a Europa League/Champions League game since December 2012 (24y 54d v CFR Cluj).
    • Manchester United handed starts to three teenagers against Astana (Mason Greenwood, Tahith Chong and Angel Gomes); their most in a Europa League/Champions League game since November 2009 against Besiktas (Danny Welbeck, Federico Macheda and Rafael).
    https://www.skysports.com/football/man-utd-vs-astana/420453

cool

johno and Amdrag repped this.
  13. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/d6k8ow/xg_map_for_tonights_game_united_279_astana_29/

Our xG was 2.79. Only scoring one is pretty shoddy tbh, but we should have won comfortably.

Next EL game I'd definitely like to see Greenwood up top, James on the left and Gomes centrally. Chong was too sloppy and ponderous on the ball, he should be coming off the bench at best for now. Rashford on the left is ok as it rests James for the PL games, but I think for the benefit of the youth we should go for more of a team player in there.

14. thenamestsam

thenamestsam Member+

Aug 8, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Kids were okay. Mason had the magic moment obviously and nearly scored early on but was mostly quiet otherwise - no mistakes but couldn't get in the game too much. Looks more comfortable at 9 than playing from the right. Gomes found some nice pockets of space, obviously has great feet and had a couple passes where he showed off fantastic vision but also struggled to impose himself on the game as much as you'd like for a guy with a functionally free role against this level of opposition. Chong was just not good. None of them had the kind of game that will make it overly hard for Ole to go back to the more senior players in the league, but Gomes and Greenwood at least should definitely keep getting opportunities against some better opposition to show what they can do.

I though the kids in defense were actually more impressive. Both Axel and Dalot did everything you could ask in this one. Granted they were put under very little pressure defensively, but Dalot is really talented going forward from that spot, and Axel bossed it in the few moments he had the chance to. Both guys will be hard pressed to get in the first 11 unless/until there is an injury, but hopefully they can continue progressing in cup games and be ready when their chance comes. I think both have a good chance to make it at this level, but the Dalot/AWB thing may be hard to resolve. I think it would be a good idea to give one of those guys some reps at LB honestly.

Fred was also good. He still is very prone to brain fart moments - I've never seen a professional player who just randomly looses control so often - not in the bad first touch sense but just he has the ball under control and then it somehow rolls away from him. Happened 2 or 3 times in this one. He needs to play a tighter game or those type of mistakes will cost us at times, but he has enough positive attributes that he should be getting into the first team. Should obviously start over Matic with McT on Sunday, and if he continues this form we should definitely try 4-3-3 when Pogba is fit.

Anonymous_United, J'can and benni... repped this.
  15. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    He's the exact opposite of Jones. It's so striking when they play together.

Deadtigers and Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10 repped this.
  16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Having seen the match I can say that I have no idea how Matic can get selected in matches we need to win. He was the only player on the pitch aside from Chong who lost out on duels and needlessly gave the ball away. Unlike Chong, Matic had zero ambition.

Apart from some fitness for folks who needed it, the big takeaway was obviously 3 points and minutes for the kids. Gomes is probably deserving of more time on the pitch. He has a good idea of where his teammates are, where the space is and when to play the ball out wide or when to keep it central. He's not going to get any bigger, we just have to risk playing him. Technically, there's no reason he can't play in our first team regularly. He's good enough.

Deadtigers and Amdrag repped this.
  17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
  18. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    We should have kept Rome. I mean Rash finishes worse that Martial, Sanchez and Rome. People talk about Rome's control but I thought he was a better passer and could actually finish.

Considering a top striker scores 1 out of 4 or 5 chances, Rash must be at 1 of 7 or 8. As we get such few opportunities and creating of chances from our midfield a top finisher was a priority but Rash is one's lovechild so here we are.

19. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    Didnt he squandered something around 15-20 1 vs 1 on trot ?? He needs massive improvement in finishing aswell as in final third.. Still only 21 though ..

20. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rashford needs to go to Germany where he can learn calmness in front of goal and whatever other methods they have for scoring so reliably.

Anonymous_United repped this.