PBP: UEL - Manchester United FC vs AZ Alkmaar - Dec 12, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: UEFA Europa League
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 20:00 (BST), 15:00 (EST)
    Channels: BT Sport 2(UK), MUTV(UK), B/R Live(US), Univisión(US), UniMás(US), TUDN Xtra(US), DAZN(Canada)

Manchester United injuries: Bailly (knee), Rojo (muscle), Dalot (groin), Pogba (ankle), Matić (unfit)
    AZ Alkmaar injuries: Chatzidiakos (knee)

Manchester United last 6: W-D-L-D-W-W
    AZ Alkmaar last 6: W-W-W-D-W-W

Manchester United last league result: 1-2 away win at man city
    AZ Alkmaar last league result: 0-3 away win at PEC Zwolle

Manchester United league standing: 5th
    AZ Alkmaar league standing: 2nd

Last Encounter: 0-0 away draw at Cars Jeans Stadion (Sep 2019)

Manchester United last starting XI (4-2-3-1):
    de Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Lindelöf, Maguire(c), Shaw, McTominay, Fred, James, Lingard, Rashford, Martial

AZ Alkmaar last starting XI (4-3-3):
    Bizot, Svenssoon, Clasie, Wuytens, Wijndal, Midjstø, de Wit, Koopmeiners(c), Stengs, Boadu, Idrissi

=====================
    top spot up for grabs. play the youth again.

rest the mains. they've earned it

jnielsen repped this.
  2. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was gonna say I don't care who we play, but I think it would be better to say, I only care who we don't play.

We have to rest the front 6 (all of them) and Maguire... and Lindelof... and AWB.

So...

----------------------Greenwood
    AP---------------------Gomes-----------------Chong
    -----------Levitt----------------------Garner
    Williams-------------------------------------------Dalot
    ----------------Tuanzebe------XXXXX
    ----------------------------Romero

I'd take minutes for Shaw off the bench too to help him get to fitness.

Amdrag repped this.
  3. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can we start Rojo next to Williams for ultimate shithousery?

4. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can you work a lineup with AP central? Will be wasted out on the left methinks.

Also mata should play

5. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mata is my new Matic. He adds nothing. ********ing empty calories. I mean, with greatest sympathy because he's a model pro and it isn't his fault at all, but I'd rather play any kid than him.

I put AP on the left because I think Chong** would be better served inverted and AP has had a shot centrally. He's not bad, but other than energy and pressing, he doesn't do much that we need. I think playing him inverted might open up his strength (shooting from distance) and I really want to give Gomes a shot at the 10. He's the most natural solution to our problem in that area and I want to give him a chance to prove he's worth that contract he's trying to negotiate.

** despite what some people here think, I'm not done with him. He's very much a kid and he's incredibly mature, hard working and talented. He just hasn't put it together. We are likely a level to high for him, but that's true of 99% of players in the academy.

On the subject of Gomes, we should give him an 18 month extension the first year of which is really well compensated and the last 6 months of which are more pay/play. He's not Pogba, but he's possibly very talented and it is cheaper to find out if he's the 10 we need than buy someone who definitely is the 10 we need and quicker than buying someone who might turn into that player.

6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given who is expected to be available for this one, the team I would like to see for this one:
    --------------------------Romero
    ---------Laird---Tuanzebe---Bernard---Shaw
    ----------------------Levitt-------Garner
    ---------------Chong----Mata----Gomes
    -----------------------Greenwood
    Would love to see Dalot play in this kind of game, but don't believe he's ready yet (at least according to what Ole said recently, although he's getting close). Would have no issue going with Bernard next to Tuanzebe: certainly a better solution than Jones (and Rojo is out also). Going with Shaw on the left as he needs the mins and get himself back in shape: even if he doesn't finish, any mins he can provide is welcome. Plus I'd still rather go with Williams vs Everton over the weekend.
    The mid is straightforward and pretty obvious. I'd go with Mata at the 10 spot: by in large, I'm all but done with him but European games are ones where he still is useful. The slower pace and the fact that the games are nowhere as physical are perfect for him and when he has time on the ball (which he should get here), he can still be dangerous. Plus, along with Romero, would provide the veteran presence needed on the day.
    Gomes has shown before that he's perfectly comfortable operating from the left and would have no problems playing him there opposite Chong. Alkmaar are better than Astana but it would still be a great test for the kids nonetheless. And playing at OT who knows, perhaps the crowd could make a difference. I'd still be confident in that team at least getting a draw.

7. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i hear you.

what's funny is for those with good memories - Valencia's front three circa 2008 was Silva--Villa--Mata with Mata on the right. i think he had the odd games switched on the left as well.

different times of course but he did a job there before but nowhere near it in the EPL. as you said, it's the managers that keep tossing him out wide now that are under utilizing whatever little he offers now

8. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We definitely need a bit of experience and nous to break down what we can expect will be a fully parked bus -- the kind of opposition tactics we really struggle against. Mata is ideal for such a job. But then again Juan may hate the thought of sharing the pitch with so many young players. We shall see.

9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mata was a lot more mobile early in his career. I would never call him fast but he could get around fine. It was towards the end of his Chelsea career and start of his career at United that he started to have trouble getting around the pitch.

10. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's training squad ahead of tomorrow:
    Dave, Romero, Grant, Kovar, Lindelof, AY, Jones, Maguire, Rojo, Dalot, Shaw, Wan-Bissaka, Tuanzebe, Laird, Williams, Mata, AP, Fred, Gomes, Garner, McTominay, James, Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Chong.
    Not that many youngsters (apart from the usual suspects for the most part). Curious to find out which one of them will make the cut, in terms of the 18 at least.

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #12 Ashur, Dec 11, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    Freudian slip apparently with Matic also being part of today's training squad and according to Ole, set to play tomorrow...

13. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Provisional squad for today's game: Sergio Romero, Lee Grant, Matej Kovar, Ethan Laird, Axel Tuanzebe, Phil Jones, Harry Maguire, Brandon Williams, AY, Fred, Scott McTominay, AP, James Garner, Nemanja Matic, Juan Mata, Anthony Martial, Mason Greenwood, Tahith Chong, Marcus Rashford.

Kovar expected to be the odd man out in all likelihood. Really hoping that Laird will be given the nod at RB.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apart from Mata I like the lineup. Maguire may have been an unnecessary risk but will provide some good stability in the back.

16. jnielsen

jnielsen Member+

May 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I guess ogs wants to win this one. I think it usually is better to come in in first place if possible.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would have wanted Laird in AY's stead. Nothing against him personally, but he is getting to the point Valencia got to last season (the one season too many where it's obvious he's just about done). And Laird is such an exciting prospect: this would have been a great game to have him start.
    Fine with Mata playing as long as it's thru the middle. It's either him or AP in that role, as both wide is just a waste (and thus why I'm not a fan of AP's selection today) . Understand the need to rotate and the limitations in Ole's selections at the moment, but he could have drafted Gomes in or even possibly taken a shot with Laird wide right (that's how good he is going forward).
    Lineup is ok and as long as we can get the win (or draw) required to secure top spot in the group, that is what really matters in the grand scheme.

18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Think this is probably the right approach - sometimes playing too many kids doesn't give them a chance to integrate into a team playing a higher standard of football - which is kind of what they are there for.

Williams, Garner and Greenwood have got experience around them - albeit Young, Matic and Mata :)

Deadtigers repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No Levitt is a surprise.

No Gomes not a surprise - think that speaks volumes on his contract situation.

In the same way it is a surprise to see Chong. Maybe he has yet to make his mind up and the club still think he may sign ...

20. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good run and chance for AP, but the keeper had it covered.

Alkmaar have come to play (and not just bunker) so there should be opportunities available to United.

22. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AZ look to be zeroing in our right side: can't blame them to be honest, with AY already proving to be shaky on a couple of occasions.
    He just does not have it anymore and that's just the reality...

23. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ashley Young is pure trash, promote someone else from the academy and get rid of him.

24. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I am sorry but by watching United under Ole I never could guess what he wants from the team, how are we attacking, defending etc. I still think we need a better manager.

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #25 Ashur, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Aside from AP's chance early on, it's been all AZ so far. Get that we like to cede possession and hit teams on the break but we still should be doing more against that kind of team.

Been slightly better from us in the past few minutes, but the final ball is still wanting. At least, the team is not as passive as it was earlier on...

AZ still have the better opportunities: if they weren't as sloppy with them, they might have been in front. Boring and just frustrating game.