UEFA World Cup qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Apr 4, 2017.

1. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    the Swiss had 3 teens starting including their two strikers upfront. It's hard to tell from the highlights if the Swiss were bunkering or not(it worked so well for the Dutch opponents in the group stage), but I can see the problem, it's that horror of an CB, Kiwic(the Millie Bright of Swiss soccer!), the first play alone is so cringe worthy, itss either she's taking the shot for the Dutch or could of gotten a PK called. The rest of the plays, she just simply a step to slow(and you thought Babette was Schlecht, lol).Thanks Turbine, for finally benching her

blissett and L'orange repped this.
  2. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's longish highlights of the Argentina/Panama game. To be sure, some nice play leading to the two early goals, but I don't think both teams deserve to go to the WC, as it was a very sloppy game after that with both teams committing a lot of fouls, intentionally or just simply miscuing as several players went down.The Panamanians were cramping early in the 2nd half, but really no excuse for that terrible foul(about the 6 min. mark on the video)

blissett repped this.
  3. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    As long as Zoo Nealand has at least 8 players show up, they'll be fine.
    If they go 7 vs. 11, then they might be a little nervous.

But if they have 8 players, then they can win using a 2-1-1-3 formation.
    No other team in OFC can beat them in that formation.

4. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Is this full match available anywhere?
    Thanks.

5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, the first YC to Panama's #19 Selenio could maybe have been questionable, but on the other hand her second foul could have easily been direct RC as well, so I'd say both ejections were fair. They simply lost their heads when they saw the WWC dream sail away.

I have to say that the home advantage could have been something real (that's not always true in the women's game) because the atmosphere at the stadium looked very warm and enthusiastic. These South-American supporters really know how to push their teams.

I read that Bailey had saved a PK earlier, before Argentina scored their first goal: it's a shame that this piece is missing from highlights; I would have gladly given a look at that, since I am in the process of assessing the level of international GKs!

6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Impressive display by Netherlands. Of course, I could only watch 1st half, then I had to go out, and all the three goals were scored in the second! :x3:

I guess, since the moment when the names of the 4 play-off teams were defined, everyone knew it couldn't possibly end any other way (ok, technically it's not "ended" yet, but can really anyone see Switzerland score 3-4 unresponded goals in the second leg? :alien:).

It's quite interesting that the reigning Euro-Champions could go from a possible elimination to being a seeded-team in the upcoming draw for the WWC, because their performance in play-off will most probably grant them 6th place in FIFA rankings. :coffee:

I liked Miedema's reaction after her goal: she seemed more angry than happy, on the lines of: "Geez, 'twas about time!!!". :laugh:

Orange14 and sbahnhof repped this.
  7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Netherlands is a very good side--a lot of good, technical players, and IMO Miedema is the best finisher in the game. They are talented up front--and pretty solid in the back, too, while still missing starting centerback Van der Gragt, who has been injured for a while but may be close to getting back on the field.

8. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    UEFA did not see status quo still.

Scotland was not the favorite to win their group over Switzerland.
    Finally Kim Little and her Scottish team breaks through that World Cup barrier.

Unfortunately we will not get to see Ramona Bachmann tripping over her feet a million times again in the World Cup. And if she's not tripping over her feet, then the turf monster is always there to get her instead.

Somewhere, Kim Little is staring at Ramona Bachmann and saying, "Sucka".

9. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    There are now going to be at least 7 quality teams not in this World Cup:

North Korea
    Denmark
    Switzerland
    Iceland
    Mexico
    Costa Rica
    Colombia

6 of those 7 teams have been to a Women's World Cup before.

Expand this tournament to 32 nations.

10. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG]

FIFA controls the number of participating teams - you can message them directly

https://www.fifa.com/contact

(maybe wire them some money too, I dunno the exact process)

blissett repped this.
  11. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    I have been in contact with FIFA many times, and eventually became a consultant for them.

blissett repped this.
  12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett repped this.
  13. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    While those might all, some years, be quality teams there are some that really deserve to be staying home and some that are at the WWC that are really not good enough to be there. I actually like that there is a chance, slight as it might be, that teams that are pretty good might not qualify.

I think that the current number of Women's teams at the WWC is about right for the current level of overall play in the world.

And I think your list includes teams that simply are not good at all:
    Mexico - They used to be OK and they may be that good or better again but right now their are pretty bad. Their player pool has talent BUT they are made bad by the poor organization and VERY poor coaching that has ruined them as a team. Pretty much very like the US men.
    Costa Rica - See Mexico they're staying home exactly as they should.
    Columbia - Another bad team that belongs to stay home.

I have not seen the others play enough to be sure but I believe the others mentioned are also just not very good at this time.

If the pool were increased to 32 it would just serve to give more games and decrease the overall quality of play. It would not be as bad but it would have the net effect of making the WWC look like a larger version of the CONCACAF qualifying tournament where most games were just jokes and most of the few that were competitive involved two poor teams not two good ones.

I would like more games but I do not want more badly played games and that is what would happen if the number of teams were increased at this time. Maybe it will happen in 2023 as countries continue to develop their women's teams.

blissett repped this.
  14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    soccersubjectively and blissett repped this.
  15. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
  16. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I have contacted FIFA and they deny knowing and working with you.

17. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Of course they don’t know a WWC_Movement.

Anybody would be stupid to contact them using that name, since a simple Google search would show that character name being a jackass on soccer forums online.

18. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It's The Netherlands 1, Switzerland 1 at the 75' mark. Match is being played in chilly, foggy conditions--they are using an orange ball it is so hard to see. Hard to watch the game on TV with all the fog. Would like to see the Dutch put one more in the net and win this game to gain a WC seed.

19. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    It ends 1-1. The Dutch didn't play their normal game, preferring to sit back a bit and ensure that the Swiss didn't score early and protect their lead. Even so, Switzerland didn't really threaten at all from the 20' mark, when I started watching, to halftime (I missed the first part of the match). Miedema put The Netherlands in front with a class goal in the 50s' but Switzerland--motivated throughout--got the equalizer in the 71st minute. Games like this are tough for the leading team to play, but The Netherlands were far the superior team in this matchup and it will be a better World Cup, for sure, with the Dutch in it.

Was this match played in an indoor stadium? It seemed like it. It certainly was another WC qualifying match played on--ughh!--turf! Again, does not Switzerland, of all places, have a nice grass field/stadium? It is farther south than The Netherlands. Oh, well.

blissett repped this.
  20. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    See you next year, Holland!

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Orange balls were substituted on at about the 65th minute when the fog got really bad. On the Swiss television feed it was very hard to see the other side of the pitch though it looked better from the ground level cameras.

Miedema is so clinical in front of goal and it's good to see her playing well. Rubbish defending on the Swiss goal as it should have been easily cleared. Dutch now need to schedule some tough friendlies to get ready for the WC. They need to play against some clubs that have good speed which will really test them. Maybe going the playoff route was good for them as it subjected the team to some high pressure matches which may serve them well.

blissett repped this.
  22. They got a red card very soon, so the Orange women were almost the entire match one down. Funny enough the Dutch commentator in the second half said that in a way it's more fair as now the quality difference was a bit diminished.:ROFLMAO:

blissett repped this.
  23. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Agree on all points. I thought the Dutch would get the 1-0 lead as they were defending comfortably throughout--but also defending a lot. It's not easy to play when you've got a big lead and the other side is pressing hard to at least look respectable.

The Dutch absolutely need to play a top team or two in a pre-WC friendlies--teams who will really test their weaknesses.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I got the match start time wrong and missed the first half. Since I was watching the Swiss FA feed which had no commentary I had no clue that the Dutch were down a player (I should have counted the # of players :D). I can't remember FIFA rules; does the Red Card for Dekker carry over into the next official match which would be in the WC?

blissett repped this.
  25. I missed the first 15 minutes because my cable network box decided to be naughty, and me too was unaware of the red card until it was mentioned in the second half.

Dunno either what the rules are about cards in qualifiers.