UEFA World Cup qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by shlj, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Arsenal Women on Twitter

Full-time: Arsenal 6-0 Reading We've extended our lead at the top of the @FAWSL table thanks to a @VivianneMiedema hat-trick and strikes from @JordanNobbs8, @bmeado9 and @DanielleDonk #WeAreTheArsenal

3d hattrick Miedema.:eek:

blissett repped this.
  2. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes Anna ( her real first name is on fire and has got away from all the niggling injuries from last season)

3. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    #578 sbahnhof, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    UEFA playoff final

Fri 9 Nov - Netherlands v Switzerland - 1st leg - (19:00 GMT / 20:00 CET)
    Stadion Galgenwaard, Utrecht

Tue 13 Nov - Switzerland v Netherlands - 2nd leg - (18:00 GMT / 19:00 CET)
    Lipo Park, Schaffhausen

[​IMG]
    Galgenwaard Stadium, which hosted the Euro 2017 opening match
    (pic: Thomas van de Weerd, cc-by)

It does feel like a missed opportunity, the Dutch team's really popular right now. Apparently Amsterdam ArenA wasn't sold-out for some men's World Cup qualifiers, so maybe that knocked the KNVB's confidence. There's probably more that they could do – I remember BBC's Jonathan Pearce was unimpressed with the lack of advertising in host cities at the Euros in 2017.

blissett repped this.
  4. And she scored another two this weekend going on an average of two goals per match.

5. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    What's Wiegman going to do against Switzerland? Play Miedema at CF and maybe bring Beerenstyn off the bench in the second half--for Miedema or someone else? Start Beerenstyn, who is very good, and leave Miedema on the bench as she did against Denmark? I think Miedema is the best finisher in the game right now. What about the idea of giving Beerenstyn some training work as an attacking midfielder, so that if you need a goal in the second half you have her playing in behind Miedema as the 10? I think Beerenstyn has the qualities to do it. Or she could replace one of the wingers in the last 20 minutes perhaps. It's a nice problem to have, I suppose.

blissett repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Martens has apparently been injured--has not played in recent Barcelona games. Anybody heard what the knock is?

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Beerenstyn has been starting as a winger over at Bayern Munich, though she hasn't been scoring, she's a good at taking on defenders 1v1. Miedema is breaking scoring records over in England(11 goals so far in 6 games), several of them by headers, it don't make sense why Wiegmann wouldn't want to start her at central striker, especially since the Swiss will most likely bunker(though if Martens is out, guess Beerenstyn will take her place at left/wing)

why again do the Swiss get the home advantage in the 2nd game(with the possibility of OT/PK's) if the Dutch are ranked higher?

8. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Remember how we were talking about how the groups were created using UEFA's internal coefficient system and not the FIFA rankings?

I think the same thing is playing out here. In the rankings that were originally used to create the groups, SUI was #7 (36,629) and NED was #9 (34,642). So, according to UEFA, SUI are "rightfully" getting the second-leg home advantage. Even though those rankings haven't been updated since before the EUROs.

=EDIT=
    Actually scratch all of that, I just looked it up and it was a random draw to decide the order of the legs. So 50/50 chance. (Because NED also had the first leg in the draw against DEN, which doesn't make sense by any ranking system. Plus the UEFA rankings were updated before the playoffs to decide which two of the four teams were "seeded".)

blissett repped this.
  9. Orange lionesses selection:
    De selectie
    Keepers:
    Loes Geurts (Göteborg FC), Lize Kop (Ajax), Sari van Veenendaal (Arsenal).
    Verdediging: Dominique Bloodworth (Arsenal), Anouk Dekker (Montpellier HSC), Merel van Dongen (Real Betis), Kika van Es (Ajax), Stefanie van der Gragt (FC Barcelona).
    Middenveld: Danique Kerkdijk (Bristol City), Desiree van Lunteren (SC Freiburg), Liza van der Most (Ajax), Siri Worm (Everton), Daniëlle van de Donk (Arsenal), Jackie Groenen (FFC Frankfurt), Inessa Kaagman (Everton), Jill Roord (Bayern München).
    Aanvallers: Sherida Spitse (Valerenga), Lineth Beerensteyn (Bayern München), Ellen Jansen (Ajax), Renate Jansen (FC Twente), Lieke Martens (FC Barcelona), Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal) en Shanice van de Sanden (Olympique Lyon).

Orange14 and blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    So apparently Martens is there, slightly injured or not.

11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa

[​IMG] [​IMG] Swiss TV coverage will be live on SRF 2 here. The show is starting 20 minutes before the kickoff.

In the Netherlands it's on Veronica TV, but no stream afaik.

L'orange repped this.
  12. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #587 Lechus7, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Walti set on box-to-box, Aigbogun to harass van de Donk, Crnogorcevic to stop Martens. Maritz, Bernauer and Tschopp will try to pester link-up play of Groenen and van de Sanden. Reuteler moved upfront for that one golden pass to Lehmann. Overall defensive setup with aim for counters and diagonal ball routine.
    Question, will van Es move to support Martens raids? cuz I don't see van Lunteren crossing half-line to often...

blissett repped this.
  13. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Other link here

14. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    No Van Veenendaal in goal for The Netherlands? I thought she was healthy? She started for Arsenal less than 2 weeks ago. Odd. Their number 2 is short! I hope she is good. I know she played last game against Denmark and did well.

15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Dutch dominating possession and heaping on the pressure---have come close twice in the last couple of minutes. Van de Donk would have scored but a Swiss defender got her foot in to block her shot in the box at the last moment. Later, Van de Donk with a nifty flick to Groenen in the box but she missed the shot wide. Some good play from the Netherlands against a Swiss team that's sitting back. The Swiss keeper has been warned for time wasting as she wants to take 2 minutes to kick the ball. The Dutch must remain patient.

blissett repped this.
  16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch have been the most threatening but the final pass and/or shot have been poor. If they get a goal that should put a lot of pressure on the Swiss and maybe open the match. I think Switzerland will be happy with a 0-0 result.

blissett repped this.
  17. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Yeah, Swiss got only one good chance but their counters are dangerous. That Walti pass to Reuteler inside pk box was only half a pound heavy...and a goal scored away...

blissett repped this.
  18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I struggle to understand MVT’s decisions during this match
    Yes the Dutch are better but the 2nd half from Switzerland hasn’t looked good at all if you ask me

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Too much quality in the 2nd half and the Swiss just could not generate anything in the Dutch half. Can't see the return match being any different.

blissett repped this.
  20. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    The Netherlands completely bossed this game from beginning to end. The Dutch must have had 85 percent possession--and once Spitze whelped that free kick in the Swiss goal in the second half the home side was in good shape. The Swiss defended well in the first half, had one dangerous counter opportunity that almost had a forward in on the Dutch keeper, and they had one half-chance early in the second half, but otherwise they spent about 90 percent of the game chasing the Dutch around the pitch. The Swiss had no attack because they could not get or keep the ball. The Netherlands smartly pressed every time they lost the ball and would get it quickly back and then knock it around looking for opportunities, and eventually got them, with their front-line stars taking over late. Switzerland will now have to play more openly and aggressively in the 2nd leg, which will leave them vulnerable to a very good counter-attacking Dutch side. Great win for Oranje.

blissett repped this.
  21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Switzerland are severely weakened without experienced players like Dickenmann and Bachmann. Netherlands won't waste a three goal lead in the return leg.

blissett repped this.
  22. WWC_Movement

WWC_Movement Red Card

Dec 10, 2014
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Papua New Guinea
    Just go ahead and pencil in Argentina and the Netherlands at this point.
    It's over for Panama and Switzerland.

23. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Indeed, they clearly missed those two.
    Holland will kill them on the break in the second leg.

blissett repped this.
  24. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005

And New Zealand....

25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team: