Uefa Women's Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Thomsen, Aug 15, 2017.

?

Who's gonna win?

1. Pernille Harder

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Dzsenifer Marozsan

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Lieke Martens

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    For a moment I was quite puzzled. I thought we were talking about FIFA Player of the Year... This is an UEFA award instead: frankly, I didn't even remember that it existed and that it was going to be awarded so early (basically, it's called Player of the Year 2017, but it covers season 2016-17, as most European competitions, including UEFA Women's Champions' League). Who did win it in previous years? :cautious:

Anyway, for me Lieke Martens should be hands down the winner. Maroszan suffers from the awful display at Euro 2017 (in fact, in the video, they had to show mostly action with OL in Champions' League, and arguably she wasn't so much of a deciding factor there either). Harder was impressive, but Martens was more: Harder could have got the award if she had won Euro 2017; her and Martens were directly compared in the final match: they both scored, they both played very well, but Lieke emerged the winner. :)

3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    but I want Maro to win lol, probably because I'm biased as hell but not Maro's fault that the German NT sucked this tournament

4. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is actually called "Best Women's Player in Europe Award for 2016/17", so not 2017.

2012–13 Nadine Angerer (Frankfurt, Germany)
    2013–14 Nadine Keßler (Wolfsburg, Germany)
    2014–15 Célia Šašić (Frankfurt, Germany)
    2015–16 Ada Hegerberg (Lyon, Norway)

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok, I hadn't read accurately. So, basically, in that line "UEFA Women's Player of the Year", the "of the year" part doesn't mean "of the solar year" but something along the lines of "of the academic year". :p

So it's basically just 5th edition. Some good names in the roll of honour, though. Who do you think will join them @JanBalk? Another German (they're already 3 out of 4, all of them having played in German clubs)? Or, as in Euro 2017, is it time for a new nation? ;)

JanBalk repped this.
  6. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    but she was part of the reason why Denmark scored their first goal. Look at the 1.35 min. of this video. She gives up marking her opponent, thinking play has been stopped due to the flag raised(even though the ref decided not to take the advise of the linesman & didn't blow the whistle).

plus the Danes scored the 2nd while some shabby defending from the recently switched Maro to DM

Romario'sgurl repped this.
  7. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    So far it's seem to always have been a player from the team winning the Euro or UEFA WCL so So I think it is unlikely for Harder to win. I would guess Martens are the most likely.

blissett repped this.
  8. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    "The European Soccer year", that runs from fall to spring except from in a few weird nations (like Sweden). ;)

9. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    so Martens won

blissett repped this.
  10. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This could be a good indicator for FIFA award also. :)

11. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry, I am very ignorant about men's football: who's the guy who announces Martens' win?

12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    It's the UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin. A bit more low-profile than Platini. :)

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #13 hotjam2, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    I'm leaning now more towards Sam Kerr, especially if she wins NWSL MVP, which then would go along with her AUS/W-League's MVP & everybody's pick as most outstanding player at the Tournament of Nations(which featured 4 of FIFA's top 8 ranked teams compared to only 3 at the Euros). True that the Euros was more prestigious, but Martens had the backing of equally impressive team mates, and how many times have we read that Jackie Groenen was more outstanding?