UEFA Women's Champions League 2018/19

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, Jun 9, 2018.

1. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yesterday saw the preparation for the merger of the last standalone women football club in Division 1 Feminine and the president of the club Soyaux mentioned that UEFA was looking at the creation of the equivalent of the Europa League for women's football for like a year now.

sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  2. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Oooo a women's Europa League would be great! Now I'm hopeful it'll actually happen. X-D I thought a Europa League was less likely than further expansion of the UWCL, but that's certainly an interesting tidbit!

blissett repped this.
  3. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, I totally agree. Me and @SiberianThunderT had repeatedly expressed in various threads the idea that some more international competition between clubs would greatly help the development of national leagues and of women's football overall. Let's hope it will happen sooner than later. :)

4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Today:

Slavia Prague v Bayern Munich - (KO 17:30 GMT / 18:30 CET)

Barcelona v Lillestrøm - (KO 18:00 GMT / 19:00 CET)

Lyon v Wolfsburg - (KO 19:45 GMT / 20:45 CET)

Wolfsburg's YouTube has a stream for German IP's, if available:
    - www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SpoYjhj1fA

It's on a couple of TV channels too, Canal+ and Gol TV.
    Stream/TV info:
    - twitter.com/karlyboy71/status/1108050920380747777

Match previews
    - Lyon-Wolfsburg (Le Monde / Archived)
    - Lyon-Wolfsburg (NDR.de / Archived)
    - Chelsea-PSG (The Independent)

Bauser, Lechus7, blissett and 1 other person repped this.
  5. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Wolfsburg - Lyon will be a good one but I just know that Lyon's gonna get the upper hand
    I hope I'm wrong though - Wolfsburg have some amazing players

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kateřina Svitková just scored a great goal in the Slavia - Bayern match. Also, it's her birthday and she won Czech women's footballer of the year a few days ago, so she's having a good week.

The match is 1-1 currently.

sbahnhof and Lechus7 repped this.
  7. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's quarter-final action. 1st leg:

Barcelona 3 - 0 LSK Kvinner
    Duggan 3,24, Mariona 36(p)

Slavia Prague 1 - 1 Bayern Munich
    Svitková 73 - Rolfö 62

Lyon 2 - 1 Wolfsburg
    Le Sommer 11, Renard 18 - Fischer 64

Tomorrow:
    Chelsea - Paris St. Germain

blissett repped this.
  8. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    1108444608772616194 is not a valid tweet id

jnielsen, sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  9. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Definition of understatement. :giggle:

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It is, in fact that goal probably cemented this as the biggest match in Czech women's history as well. The club did a good job of promoting the match as the attendance was about 7000, which is a record, and actually about over 1000 more than the average match of our men's league (although less than half the Slavia men's team average).

As a nation we've been on the cusp of decent (usually 3rd in our qualifying group), but due to the highlight this match actually has captured more media attention.

11. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Well done, Slavia...

The fourth game went Chelsea's way at Kingsmeadow:

[​IMG] Chelsea 2 - 0 Paris Saint-Germain [​IMG]
    Goals: Hannah Blundell, 73' (video)
    Erin Cuthert, 88' (video)

More worrying is some vandalism by PSG fans around the city on the day of the game, and this:

"Weapons, fireworks and drugs have been found on a coach carrying Paris St-Germain fans to a Women's Champions League game against Chelsea."
    - www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-47661471
    (Archived)
    Also reported by AP - https://apnews.com/fe9dbcd0c5f746cdbcc21a6ed0bb22f1

We talked a few months ago about fan problems coming over from men's football to women's, but what the hell is wrong with these people? I suppose they're also fascists or something.

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    As I said back then, when we had discussed this issue, I prefer few fans (or even no fans at all) than carriying in this kind of useless thugs from men's football! :mad:

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's some good highlights of Lyon vs Wolfsburg

these two are obviously the two best teams so got to say' I'm kinda of surprised of the lack of interest generated for this game on this forum by the international fans.

My bad for bunching all you Euro fans together, guess if you don't come form either France or Germany, your probably got the right not to give an rats ass on those countries, but still the CL has defined Euro soccer to point that the few rich clubs will ruin their own league's credibility just to buy up all the best players & leave the rest of the teams without much to compete with, as well as been suggested that it hurts it's own NT's(and remember how all the players from Lyon flopped at the 2017 Euros regardless of nationalities?, the rational was they had no real competition for the rest of the year.

So just sayin;y ou created this monster(the CL) just don't hide it under the rug, lol

14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Some observations from Lyon-Wolfsburg game:
    Lyon had three opportunities to put this game to bed and wasted all:
    Henry missing an open net at 0:0
    Le Sommer hitting crossbar at 2:0
    Fishlock missing an open net at 2:0
    While French side created chances relatively with ease in this match, Wolfsburg's been rather labouring on theirs.
    Henry&Kumagai bossed the midfield especially during 1st half. Neto&SBG in comparision looked hmm...disjoined.
    Lyon played much faster than Wolfsburg. Look at the sequence with Le Sommer's crossbar:
    Kumagai opening pass was at 45th-ish meter,
    Henry cross at 35th meter,
    Hegerberg assists from at the edge of the box
    an finally Le Sommer volley from 12 meters
    ....all under 6 seconds.
    For me that was the main difference between sides in this game - speed of build up play.
    To their credit Wolfsburg players started to play faster in 2nd half and their push was awarded with an away goal but let's be honest Lyon could've had 4 before the break and at least one more after.

Wolfsburg can still win this at home but they need a solid plan in order to do this. They play Borussia (last team in the league) on weekend while Lyon resting till Wednesday 2nd leg match.

blissett repped this.
  15. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    We watched it. At least I did. But when it comes to club football, the domestic league is the main course meal and where the passion is. Champions League is the dessert.

JanBalk repped this.
  16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #141 hotjam2, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    didn't see th whole game, just these highlights, but in a league from last month, WOB brought SBG back into defense, splitting the two normal CB's to each side for a 3 back, plus the 2 Fb's to protect the flanks. They were practicing this vs a weaker opponent, so was expecting it for dress rehearsal vs Lyon, but apparently they didn't. But MVT took over the cause & beat France in the last friendly with a similar variation defensive stance. So surprised that Wolfsburg didn't go this way.

Not much of fan of Lyon, with a lineup that boasts 6 of FIFAs top 10 players in the world, it just seems to limp into 1 goal wins & now reading various German & English forums, fans feel ,Maro, Simon, Bronze & Christenson have lost their edge since joining Lyon. Now as a Dutch fan, I got to worry about van de Saden as well, lol

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here's facebook highlights of Chelsea's impressive win over PSG, They only brought in Kirby & Bachmann in late in the game, but it worked, as after that they scored their 2 goals

CHELSEA 2-0 PSG!

17. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    PSG have denied their supporters behaved badly:

And the ultras have said the same :

I know some knife were found in the bus to cut the saucisson not to be used as weapon...
    Regarding the use of stickers and tagging that's a good question and the knuckleduster and class A drug, one my friend saw a fan being arrested so...

The game itself was interesting tactically. Both teams cancelled each other while playing 4-3-3.
    At half time PSG moved in 4-2-3-1 when Wang Shuang came on for the injured Diallo. The Chelsea moved to 4-4-2 and brought on Kirby + Bachmann who started to inflict damages to the PSG defense.

Good intensity in the game, a good referee who calmed down everyone by giving a booking in the fourth minute.

18. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Is there anywhere I could find the full game of the Chelsea/PSG or anywhere I can download it?

Thanks in advance.

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's full replay of WOB/Lyon

vanjory and blissett repped this.
  20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I finally had the time to watch the highlights of the game (very busy week for me at work): thank you for posting! :thumbsup:

Looked like a good game, actually worth a final, like in 2016 and 2017. It's shame that these teams had to meet in the quarters already.

Wolfsburg put themselves in a situation where they could realistically make it, but I've got the feeling that OL will manage to advance anyway. And, after that, I am not sure which other team could have the potential to beat them.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    12 000 tickets sold for PSG v Chelsea.

vanjory and Lechus7 repped this.
  22. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Interesting how we now see large crowds at club matches in Italy, Spain and France, but not in Germany. One begins to wonder if there is a real movement going on that will grow stronger or just some temporary fad.

23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was thinking more in the line of when some of these countries having been failing in the men's competition for while, but then give woso a chance/like those 1st three countries you mentioned plus the Dutch.
    Now for instance I read that woso soccer attendance is 11% in England this season after men did good at last year's woso)

yeah, after the Jorgie disaster in Russia, knida of surprised at the Germans for not flowing back to woso, but incredibly, keeping Jorgie still as coach!

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The two things that come to mind for me are:
    1) inertia of public perception, and
    2) beware the outliers

For 1), I think it's a similar thing you can see in the attendances of the different clubs in NWSL - the places that had WPS teams continue in to NWSL (Chicago, NYNJ, Boston, and kinda DC) have had a certain expectation for what WoSo is, and that impression is hard to change quickly. I bet that's what's going on in Germany.

One the other side of the coin, you have places where WoSo (mostly) flew completely under the radar until men's teams decided to invest and suddenly those fans took notice - e.g. Portland, Houston, Orlando, and SLC in NWSL and Italy, Spain, and France in Europe (and even places like Mexico too) - and you see some events suddenly get huge attendance numbers.

That said, 2) is a warning as well - you can't use a few "big match" attendance numbers as a representation of the health of the entire club scene. Yes, you're getting big numbers at UWCL matches or Cup finals or derbies - but how healthy is attendance overall in a all club matches?

And of course, I mentioned Portland, Houston, Orlando, and SLC earlier in comparison to Italy, Spain, France, and Mexico. So, then, the big question is: are those "big match" attendances going to be a permanent fixture, like every match is in Portland - hopefully letting those numbers trickle down to help raise "everyday match" attendances - or are they flashes in the pan, like how Houston and Orlando have never come near their year 1 attendance numbers?

blissett repped this.
  25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    i think the difference between woso & broso is fans show up for an major event in woso like the WC or England's FA Cup final or a derby/rivalry match. but broso fans are there most definitely for the quality.

We see this in the states, where if Arsenal or Barca play come to town during the summer, they'll sell out in minutes(as contrast to MLS games & definitley different than woso as when Lyon came for the ICC, which had a rather disappointing crowd.

Just this Sunday, both the Bayern Munich/Frankfurt & Juvuntus/Forentina games were playing. I watched a bit of both, the Bayern match was by far the better quality match as the latter only goal was rather very unimpressive, the defending Cb along with the GK, both missed the clearance. But you notice, even our Euro fans were only interested in watching the 'event' in Italy,

So it's same old, same old.......... fans on both sides of the Atlantic don't seem to enjoy the quality of woso. If that continues it be hard for most females players to make decent money in pro soccer