UEFA Women's Champions League 2018/19

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, Jun 9, 2018.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Good for Atletico getting the win! Wonder what it'll do to the English national coefficient... (in 2020/21... :) )

2. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    shljyou are about 0 to 1 point off sometimes it seems.
    But UEFA has those now too https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/womenscountry/#/yr/2019 It only updates after full matchdays, so doesn't have yesterdays matches. Maybe late tonight or tomorrow all 16 games are added.

England is save in the top 12 for years to come. But Russia really might drop off, wow they were 4th/5th at start to mid of the decade.

3. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes I miscounted : 3 pts for a win while UEFA counts 2

4. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I actually did expect Barça to reverse the result. Interesting that Martens scored at 90' and probably a good omen for Netherlands NT and their upcoming play-off match vs Denmark to qualify for WWC.

It's a shame that Juventus didn't make it, they could have been a funny team to follow and now they're left with domestic league only. In the end, they had made too much of a mess in the home-game.
    Fiorentina advanced instead, but I am actually not sure how far they can go. Juventus would have been less reliable, but at the same time I guess they could have more easily made some kind of upsets vs stronger teams.

Atletico Madrid is a "mild" upset, I'd say: yes, Manchester City were semi-finalists last year, but Atletico won a very competitive Spanish league by beating Barça, they have a solid team and, in general, I'd say Spanish women's football is on the rising.

All the other results were quite ordinary, I'd say. :coffee:

5. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    BIIK scored equaliser in first half but line ref flaged Ihezuo offside - anyone seen replay of this? (Barca TV didn't show the replay)

First Atletico goal was scored after huge error made by Houghton. She had very bad first 10 minutes of the match, almost allowing second goal minutes later. It's hard to be put with her though, knowing what's going on in her life now (her husband was just diagnosed with motor neuron disease).

SiberianThunderT, blissett and sbahnhof repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I didn't know that. :unsure: I wish her and her husband the best.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes Stephen Darby just retired from football age 29. Used to play at Bolton.

Still surprised Man City have been off-form so much this season. Maybe Cushing has been there for too long. I get the same vibe with Saez at Montpellier who has lost 3 games out 4 in D1 feminine.

Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  8. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017

I saw the last 30 minutes of the Barca game and the Spanish club had the ball for about 29 of those minutes. With a 2-0 lead, Barca was going through but played aggressively and kept trying to score, which they finally did at 90' with Martens goal. They just possessed BllK into submission. The visitors needed a goal but couldn't get the ball and didn't come close to even getting a shot in the last third of the game. Barca plays like their men's team--they can most definitely kick it around.

As for Juventus, I saw them in a preseason game against Arsenal and they were not very good.

9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tonight's action. Remaining six matches of the Round of 32 - 2nd leg:

Zvezda 2005 0 - 1 LSK Kvinner
    Haavi 52
    LSK Kvinner win 4-0 on agg.

Lyon 5 - 0 Avaldsnes
    Majri 8, Le Sommer 22,31, Hegerberg 55,81
    Lyon win 7-0 on agg.

Slavia Prague 4 - 0 Gintra
    Kozarova 2,28,68(p), Herndon 73
    Slavia Prague win 7-0 on agg.

Paris St. Germain 2 - 0 St. Pölten
    Katoto 61(p), Pekel 84
    PSG win 6-1 on agg.

Zürich 5 - 1 Honka
    Humm 28,45+1,51, Moser 55(p), Sow 64 - Rantala 90
    Zürich win 6-1 on agg.

Glasgow City 0 - 1 Somatio Barcelona
    Freda 7
    Glasgow City win 2-1 on agg.

10. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Wow, Glasgow lost at home to the Cypriot team? Still managed to advance, but that's an eyebrow-raising result nonetheless. (Like BIIK's home win.)

JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  11. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The draw for the Round of 16 will be held on Monday:

Seeded

Lyon (FRA) 111.740
    Wolfsburg (GER) 125.390
    Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 84.740
    Barcelona (ESP) 80.170
    FC Rosengård (SWE) 77.470
    Bayern München (GER) 52.390
    Chelsea (ENG) 47.470
    Brøndby (DEN) 47.075

Unseeded
    Slavia Praha (CZE) 45.550
    FC Zürich (SUI) 43.890
    Linköping (SWE) 41.470
    Glasgow City (SCO) 35.415
    LSK Kvinner (NOR) 31.920
    Atlético Madrid (ESP) 25.170
    Fiorentina (ITA) 19.385
    Ajax (NED) 13.250

blissett repped this.
  12. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree. Anyway, since Somatio didn't advance anyway, I'd say there weren't actual upset in this section and everything went according to expected results.

I am happy that we still have seeded and unseeded teams for this round: I don't want the big teams to battle each other so early in the tournament.

The most dangerous opponent the seeded teams could draw is probably Atletico Madrid (or possibly LSK-Kvinner). All of the others, including Fiorentina, should be quite easy for most of the seeded team (except for Brøndby, maybe).

Did you invert Lyon's and Wolfsburg's coefficient, @Bauser? :cautious:

13. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    No, or may be UEFA did. :cool: Maybe Lyon are listed first as defending champions regardless of points.

@pauley - If I understand correctly, Norway now leapfrog Kazakhstan and Russia up to 11th place and back on two spots again? Only Scotland is a mathematical threat from behind.

blissett repped this.
  14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Scotland messed up badly last night on that count. If they don't get two teams in 20/21 they will look at yesterday's poor performance.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Title Holder is always given "first seed" no matter what the actual coefficients are. Same happens in the UMCL.

Bauser and blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok: I was kinda surprised that Lyon, despite having won the last three editions of WCL, had a lower coefficient than Wolfsburg (although I have to admit that two of the last three finals were won at penalty shootout, so I guess they're technically considered as draws :coffee:).

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's less about the recent finals and more about the fact that Lyon was eliminated twice in a row back in the R16 several years ago:
    https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/competitions/Draws/02/56/28/32/2562832_DOWNLOAD.pdf

18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Oh, ok, so the coefficient takes into account the last 5 seasons? This should mean that, if Lyon does much better than R16 this season, they could get rid of a "bad year" and significantly improve their overall coefficient, couldn't they?

19. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yup! When the 13/14 season's results get phased out, Lyon will recover the 14pts it's trailing Wolfsburg by. Put another way, as long as Lyon does better this year than Wolfsburg does, then Lyon will reclaim the overall top ranting. And they could extend their lead to unprecedented(?) levels if they also do much better next year than they did in 14/15.

I don't know offhand what the theoretical best possible performance is in a given year, but the highest single-season score is Wolfsburg's 24pts in 13/14 and Lyon's 24pts just last year. I'm thus guessing that the effective maximum rating for a team (from a two-team nation) would be 24x5 + ~30 for the country coefficient, or 150pts. That postulated, I don't know how high the country coefficient could go, especially for a one-team nation, and I guess a team from the qualifying rounds technically can get more points in a single season than a team that starts at the R32....

blissett repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think if you come from quali you start with 3pts like any team starting at R32, so 24 is really the maximum possible in a season.

blissett repped this.
  21. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Videos Round of 32, 2nd leg

Somatio Barcelona (Cyprus) v Glasgow City 1st leg (0-2) highlights are online, and

the 2nd leg, Somatio's hour of power :eek:

Atlético's 2 goals, scored by Silvia Meseguer and Ludmila da Silva, in an eerily silent atmosphere at the Academy Stadium

In Sweden, Rosengård (in white) got a 2-0 win, 3-0 agg, over Russia's Ryazan:

Ajax finished the job away at Sparta Prague:

In Perm, the full match was streamed on Thursday. LSK led 3-0 from 1st leg:

Zvezda-2005 (Russia, red) v LSK Kvinner (Norway)

Lechus7, blissett and Bauser repped this.
  22. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Round of 16
    Doax7B5X0AADZyv.jpg

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bad pairing from Fiorentina: I can't really see them beating Chelsea. :unsure:

On paper I'd say that the most interesting match could be Wolfsburg-Atletico Madrid, although, after watching highlights from the 6-0 beating Wolfsburg recently gave to Bayern München in the league, I am not sure if the Spanish champions can really pose a problem to the Germans...

Don't know enough about Linköpings to gauge if they can beat PSG, although I don't think so. All the other match-ups look more or less lopsided to me, but I could be wrong.

24. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    PSG hasn't been as strong the past two years as they were in the preceding three or four, so I wouldn't count Linköpings out. Swedish teams tend to put up good fights in general - the champion usually puts up a pretty good run in the UWCL, at least.

LSKK vs Brondby is the draw of life right now. X-D Either team will be very happy to reach the quarters, as neither of their respective nations regularly have a representative at that stage.

blissett repped this.
  25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I guess it is fitting, unfortunately, that the lowest seeded team drew one of the top two clubs. We'll see what Ajax are made of as this is the first time they have made it this far. Let's hope for two competitive matches.

blissett repped this.