UEFA Women's Champions League 2017/18

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, May 26, 2017.

1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mmm, goal-line technology would have been needed for this OL's goal. :coffee:

Could have been very well a real goal, but there's no way to actually tell, judging from the replays we could see. :cautious:

2. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    While it sucks that it might have or not been a goal, the reality is that Barca needed to score anyway. Now if Barca had been up a goal at that point, then we would really have an issue.

SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  3. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #203 SiberianThunderT, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Small consolation: of all the QF series, it's satisfyingly weird to see Lyon's series with the smallest of GDs on aggregate out of the four. X-D

blissett repped this.
  4. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Arguably the four best teams qualified for the semi-final but regarding the French clubs I'm not very satisfied. Montpellier is inferioir to Chelsea in about every sector including bench and coaches but the London club made the difference in taking advantage of everything MHSC gave them....is that the difference between a very good team and a strong one. To reach the next level and compete against Europe very best, the French club need better players also, you can't go that far when Cayman, Dekker etc..are among your best players.
    I was expecting more from Barça but it looked to me that they actually played better the first leg away than this one at home, didn't like Lyon even to be honest not very inspired today and Kumagai has to start always! But the defense is what makes OL still the favourite imo.
    I wonder what could have happened if Barcelone believed more in themselves rather than be so scared of Lyon.

blissett and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  5. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Selma is just 17 years old and in her first year of professional football, I talked a little about her in the Junior NTs section some time ago. In France we rate her very very high, even Pedros I see, she will play in the coming U20 world cup despite being two years younger.
    She is a pure product of Lyon academy but despite being considered a gem for quite some years now very few thought she was ready to be OL first choice LB immediately.:eek:. The coach trusting her in such important games says a lot.

blissett repped this.
  6. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Quoted for truthery! :cool:

Oh, ok, so it's not just me being somehow out of the loop: she's really new and she's really a kind of surprise at this level!

In fact, even during the rest of the game, after I had made that first comment, Bacha kept churning out good actions on that same left-side where Majiri was being wasteful instead and was basically taking a day off.

debzy repped this.
  7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    reason's;
    Barca was probably the strongest of all the loosing quarter sides

Barca is probably way too much ball control for their own good/but it does mean that scores will be kept down(yet Barca isn't even lading their own league)

despite having such a powerful squad. Lyon as well prefers to sit on the ball instead of being an more adventures type.

here are highlights, obviously Lyon well in control, but I do remember an Like Martens interview where she said that Brac's ball control style is completely different than the Dutch NT/s of playing way faster pace
    https://www.fcbarcelona.cat/videos/femeni-i-planter/femeni/partits

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Lyon vs Wolfsburg in final?? Would’ve been a good clash between two teams with those star players going forward...

9. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well yeah, hence why I said the example of hose close it was was good consolation. I'm guessing that Barca could have advanced to the SFs had they been paired up with any other QF opponent - heck, they *might* have even eked out a 1-0 home win instead of a 0-1 home loss (and advanced on away goals) if they didn't played scared vs Lyon like debzy suggested.

10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would say, a significantly stronger Lyon(which added Bronze, van de Sanden & Henry this year beat a weaker Man City(who lost Bronze, Duggan & Lloyd from last year)

The English/WSL has become a more competitive league this year, but I don't care for Chelsea 3 back defense; the own goal queen, Millie Bright, your Norwegian shlecht-meister, Mjelde & Pernile Harder's lovey dovey, Erickson(who looks so pale compared to her better half). If WOB's fwds take the defenders 1v1, I think their be able to beat them
    One other battle to consider, Chelsea;s coach, Emma Hayes, has called Popp; "a dirty player". So will Popp be gunning for revenge(and leave a bunch of downed balling pins across the field?)

and will WOB start the American Babtte Shlecht(Ella Mcleod) over the brilliance of Ewa Pajor? But in WOB's favor, at least the original shlecht will still be out on injury!

11. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Popp’s hilarious but very theatrical and a good player though

Wolfsburg should win this imo, but you never know when the backline consists of Blässe and Marita and a CM like Gössling :confused:

12. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I still remember this game from 4 years ago when Julia Simic refused to put up with Popp's antics. In the crowd was Stefi Jones, who would be later doomed as she would try to make Popp the star of her team

13. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Chelsea probably has a chance to beat Wolfsburg considering Wolfsburg’s defensive players.... :thumbsdown: So Wolfsburg keeps renewing contracts for their star offensive players but don’t bother to do anything with their defensive options like Blässe, Maritz, Kerschowski, Peter...? Luckily the latter one’s out with an injury but why do they replace her with a top midfielder (or was back in her good days) like Gössling...? :cautious:

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett repped this.
  15. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    any links to the game between Chelsea and Wolfsburg

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #217 hotjam2, Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    0-0 tie with the stronger play from Lyon. Other impressions, Man City should change it's name to Dive City., lol. Le Sommer is definitely is becoming the star of the team. She's so much more in the game than Marozsan, Wish Lyon would play Cascarino, more, she's such a hoot to watch! Don't know why Man City didn't play the more capable goal scorer's like Nadim & Ross?(instead of Stanway & Perris) Their front line just wasn't quick enough to get passed Renard

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  19. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    can't watch that link sadly

20. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm on Chelsea Ladies facebook page - watching game.

Thomsen repped this.
  21. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Wolfsburg looked dominant, I found Gössling's performance for once cool and composed. Many good balls from freekicks as well, resulting in an own goal or was the goal from Popp?

22. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    Wow and WOB even miss their best defender. Dont think CHE score on that first goal with her on the field.

23. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    who...? :thumbsdown:

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I knew Millie Bright would be good for one Wolfsburg goal, but did they credit her or Mjelde?

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Millie Bright gets her body into the strangest positions when defending in the box. She basically for no reason that I can think of turned her back to the ball when it was coming towards her for the Wolfsburg goal. I assume it’s some type of panic or brain freeze or something because it usually occurs in the real pressure moments of games. It can’t go on much longer without her being dropped.

blissett repped this.