UEFA Women's Champions League 2017/18

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, May 26, 2017.

1. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Highlights of Wolfsburg v Atletico Madrid:

How on earth can you push up your unorganized backline so high and leave acres of space behind time and again? It's so bad it almost looks as if the game is rigged.

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  2. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Bayern was In both matches the better Team.
    Chelsea can be happy to be in the next round.
    But the Bayern team can say, we were better, we did everything we can do. But 3 wrong decisions against Bayern. And then you can say the ref dicided who is in the next round.

Good Look Chelsea against Teams like Lyon.

Lechus7 repped this.
  3. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The highlights of Brescia - Ajax

Great collective match of Brescia, every girl properly did her task, but IMO 2 players stood out: the pole Daleszczyk, not only for the goal from CK but, as can be seen, for quality of playing in the midfield and the FK that got to the 2nd goal, and the portuguese defender Mendes, who did her job in the back but also run for 90' along the touch and, cherry on the cake, beated the much taller dutch defender finding the beautiful header that sealed the win...a real strength of nature ! :thumbsup:

Lechus7, blissett and Bauser repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Chelsea's goal was not off sides. See highlights below(especially when the pass is made). Their was on obstruction call against BM right at the time Laudehr took a shot. Could have a point with the no hand ball call, but if I remember; the call was reversed in Euro/Spain vs England because the defender couldn't get away from getting caught by the ball landing on her hand. Both BM goals were scored when Chelsea was short handed(from an injured player on the sideline). What I like to know isn't there some rule against opposing players forcing off another againts her will? BM scored right after with Bachmann on the sidelines
    918193225755656192 is not a valid tweet id

overall, the usual poor decisions by Worle led him to his downfall. Laudehr should of played upfront & though she's the highest paid player in the Bundesliga, Islacker never can deliver anything in the big games, Beerensteyn should of started in front of her.

Surprised your not a fan of Chelsea, they got the two Norwegians on it, I kinda like watching NOR/Icelandic girl, surprised she only stands 170 cm(5 ft 5 in) she looks way taller

SiberianThunderT and gricio61 repped this.
  5. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Suppose BIIK wins again tonight and St. Pölten loses. Then Kazakhstan is pretty safe for a second spot for the 2019/20 season. Wow. :)

6. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Where is Norway on that live ranking at the moment? I know it was good news for us that Zürich and Ajax lost.

7. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    As of now (2 matches to be played today) :

10 Russia 31.5..........out
    11 Austria 25.5
    12 Netherlands 25.....out
    ----
    13 Scotland 24.5
    14 Norway 24
    15 Kazakhstan 23
    16 Iceland 20
    17 Poland 20............out
    18 Lithuania 19

2 points for a win, 1 for a draw, 1 bonus for advancing. Nations with 2 teams (Norway) only get half of that (average of teams).

JanBalk, blissett and gricio61 repped this.
  8. gricio61

gricio61 Member

Aug 30, 2011
    bologna
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The highlights of Fortuna Hjorring - Fiorentina:

blissett repped this.
  9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Oops. Norway in more trouble than I thought, but still one club left. Please keep us posted on the situation as the competition unfolds. The last ranking I saw, Norway were 12th and Switzerland chasing right behind and Netherlands way behind in points. Now Switzerland is nowhere to be seen and Netherlands suddenly inside Top 12. I understand it is because only the last 3 or 4 four seasons count and that changes can be drastic from one season to another if one country suddenly loses a good season, but still.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Ajax ladies defend free kicks no better than their male counterparts!!!:D

11. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Thorisdottir is cool, yes.
    [​IMG]

However, 170cm is 5'7", not 5'5", so she is indeed a bit taller. :)

In Glasgow, the hosts are up 4-1 in the last ten minutes, making it 4-4 on aggregate. They'll need one more before the whistle to go through!

Edit: Oh dear, and they just missed a penalty. :eek:

blissett repped this.
  12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    #87 Bauser, Oct 12, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Remaining Round of 32 matches tonight:

Manchester City vs St. Pölten 3-0 (6-0 on agg.)
    Parris 35, J.Scott 44, Lawley 85

Glasgow City vs BIIK Kazygurt 4-1 (4-4 on agg.) BIIK Kazygurt win on away goals
    G: Grant 43,51,63, Murray 59 || B: Ihezuo 19

Seeded
    Lyon (FRA, holders) coefficient 111.400
    Wolfsburg (GER) 129.380
    FC Rosengård (SWE) 83.925
    Barcelona (ESP) 68.520
    Manchester City (ENG) 36.490
    Brescia (ITA) 33.210
    Slavia Praha (CZE) 31.890
    Sparta Praha (CZE) 31.890

Unseeded
    Linköping (SWE) 30.295
    Chelsea (ENG) 29.490
    Montpellier (FRA) 26.400
    LSK Kvinner (NOR) 26.075
    BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ) 24.930
    Gintra Universitetas (LTU) 15.960
    Stjarnan (ISL) 15.610
    Fiorentina (ITA) 12.210

The draw for the next round will be made on Monday, October 16.

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Wow, really? The two Praha's teams are both seeded and with the exact same coefficient? :geek:

It's nice that Brescia, after some consistent years playing WCL has now entered the seeded-teams club! :p

I guess LSK-Kvinner, Montpellier and especially Chelsea are the unseeded teams that no seeded team (except probably OL and Wolfsburg: what do they care? :alien:) would want to meet!

Is there any rule preventing national clashes, at this stage, or we could get Manchester City-Chelsea, OL-Montpellier, Rosengård-Linköpping and Brescia-Fiorentina? :cautious:

gricio61 and Bauser repped this.
  14. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Well, to be honest, I don't think the Lyons and the Wolfsburgs care who they play at this stage. They should win anyway. Chelsea are likely the strongest team from the unseeded group, but I can't see them pose a threat against any of the two. For Norway to keep two spots in the tournament, LSK Kvinner better draw one of the Czech clubs or may be Brescia. Rosengård or Man City would be challenging, but not totally impossible. LSK vs Barcelona, Lyon or Wolfsburg would be the final nail in the coffin regarding keeping two spots.

Yes, no clubs from the same country can play each other. I think this geographical paragraph disappears from the quarter-finals onwards.

15. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Are Barcelona really so strong this time around? Unbeatable-level at this stage? Until last season, they looked like a team that always missed something (a really competitive and high level league, for instance? :cautious:) to actually achieve great results in the competition.
    Maybe signing UEFA Player of the Year Lieke Martens was just the piece they were missing to finally aim for the final match?

16. pauley

pauley Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Actually here is my google docs file: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1AVgTDfxRNdfw8pGpKOo1SUJyiv692pp3mPzSlhD2mPI/edit?usp=sharing If you can make out the German country names you can also see places for 2018/19 season. Switzerland jumped from 13 to 9 there, a really huge jump.

For 2019/20:
    11 Scotland 25.5 out
    12 Austria 25.5 out
    ----
    14 Kazakhstan 24
    15 Norway 24
    16 Island 20
    18 Lithuania 19

Both Kazakstan and Norway will have a better tie-breaker than Scotland, so Kazakhstan needs only 1 win or two draws to surpass those, Norway needs win/draw, win/loss/advance or draw/draw/advance. Island and Lithuania get +5 points in the round of 16 if they win both legs, so they at least need to reach the quarters.

blissett and Bauser repped this.
  17. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Barcelona aren't at the level of Lyon or Wolfsburg for sure, but look very strong indeed. Martens has definitely given them something extra. They disposed Avaldsnes quite easily. I'm sure Avaldsnes would have beaten many of the unseeded teams in this tournament, had they been given the chance. Avaldsnes win these pre-qualifying groups easily every year. LSK are stronger than Avaldsnes, but not the force they were before they had to sell half their team last year. I can't see them knock out Barcelona if drawn against them.

gricio61, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  18. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This makes me think that we could throw some predictions at this stage: who will win? Who the finalist teams will be? Will there be any shock-elimination?

Of course, we don't have a bracket, and it is possible that our finalists of choice will end meeting in the quarter-finals, but we can anyway give it a try. :p Is everyone persuaded that we will get an OL-Wolfsburg final, as in 2016 in Reggio Emilia (I was there :D)? Or does anyone have other ideas?

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #94 hotjam2, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    on the pro side; they also added Duggan, Bussaglia, Andonova & Fabiana

on the con side; possibly playing the now out dated tiki taka, style & the Spanish League has way too many teams in it(16) to make itself competitive(current champs, Madrid's incredible shabby performance vs the Wolfies proved that)

So, I would say on paper, Barcelona could be possibly 2nd or 3rd, but in actual competition, they would lag behind(my picks for #2 & #3) WOB & Chelsea.

20. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Apparently Atletico had given up on advancement before kick-off and fielded seven reserves in that game.

gricio61, SiberianThunderT and blissett repped this.
  21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    from checking out the 14 that played in the game
    http://us.women.soccerway.com/match...fl-wolfsburg/atletico-madrid-feminas/2584717/

4 Spain senior NT's
    2 Brazilian NT's
    1 French NT
    1 Swiss NT
    1 Romanian NT(the gk)

then an odd assortment youth players from their u17-19 Spanish NT squads(though they've done really well in their respective Euro & WC youth tournaments)

22. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    #97 vanjory, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    I was also left stunned and shocked by the huge win by Wolfsburg over Atletico, wasn't expecting such a huge trashing.

Also, off-topic on this one but I want to get that Lyon jersey, really nice but also it is really expensive!!

23. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, but there should be some level of dignity to defend, when you play Champions' League, even if you already gave up. The match was a real embarassment for Atletico...

24. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Round of 16 draw

Sparta Prague vs Linköping
    Gintra Uni. vs Barcelona
    Chelsea vs Rosengård
    LSK Kvinner vs Manchester City
    Brescia vs Montpellier
    BIIK Kazygurt vs Lyon
    Fiorentina vs Wolfsburg
    Stjärnan vs Slavia Prague

to be played:
    8/9 Nov & 15/16 Nov

gricio61, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  25. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well, no real "clash of titans" it seems. Which matches are closer in your opinion, guys? Chelsea- Rosengård? LSK-Kvinner-Manchester City? :cautious:

OL, Wolfsburg and Barcelona should win quite easily. Montpellier should be favoured on paper, but looking at how they played lately, I'd dare to say that anything can happen. The Prague teams' matches are a toss-up to me, in the sense that I don't know much about any of the teams involved, although I give some credit to Linköping just for coming from Swedish league...

vanjory, gricio61, Lechus7 and 1 other person repped this.