UEFA Women's Champions League 2016/17

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by pauley, Jun 8, 2016.

1. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    There is, on Lyon's home pages. Subscription thingy, though.

2. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
  3. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    What the hell did Houghton do there with her arms? Luckily for Man City, no penalty..

4. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    What's up with the female commentator on the live coverage? She keeps arguing that the ball hit Houghton's head. :)

5. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That episode reminds me about Boateng last year in the Euro against Italy... it was a clear pen

6. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Goal! Lucy Bronze :)

the only player i really like on Man City

7. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München

Comments from the Lyon - Wolfsburg game.

I'm not native German, but Ralf Kellermann says that Wolfsburg was the best team overall in the two games, and that they are dissapointed with the result. He thinks they didn't deserve to go out from the tournament.

8. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Manchester City won the game 1-0 and is heading through to the semi finals.

CoachJon and blissett repped this.
  9. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What happened to Toni Duggan? Did she lose her starter place?

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    ...:rolleyes: Just looking at this from a coaching perspective, I think this is what's typically known as damage control lol.

I've only watched the highlights, but wouldn't think it's too crazy to suggest Lyon and Wolfsburg were pretty equally balanced on the field of play over two matches this time; however, with the main constant from previous encounters to return once again probably being Kellermann's complete inability to outmaneuver another opposite coach from his perennial European rival.

To me Wolfsburg have also lacked any genuine growth from their first UCL triumph, utilizing one of the worst domestic recruitment policy's I've seen in recent memory, without ever providing long term replacements for the loss of game changers/leaders like Keßler - Goeßling - Müller, so....

Weltmann repped this.
  11. Weltmann

Weltmann Member

Sep 9, 2012
    100 %. I wish Kellerman had someone like Magull, who is blossoming at Freiburg...oh wait. :whistling:

12. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes, Carli Lloyd arriving meant the manager reshuffled the City attack.

13. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #188 Batfink, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    When I saw rumours about recent struggles Wolfsburg were having trying to recruit top domestic talent, saw how eager soon to be senior team regulars like Magull and Faißt were to find the exit door, and see that Mittag has just jumped ship back to Sweden too, it puts a little more of a spotlight on this particular clubs confusing lack of a long term direction.

It must be said that Wolfsburg only came to prominence due to them harvesting/plundering past talent rich UEFA Cup/UCL winning Potsdam and Duisburg squads, as it's also telling this time when they tried to repeat the same trick again, various domestic names like Laudehr - Gerhardt - Simon - Dallmann - Doorsoun - Hendrich - Demann - Kemme, weren't interested in taking any part in Wolfsburg's aspirations.

Yes, with the right draw (any team besides Lyon) Wolfsburg could have easily been in another UCL final, but I think Kellermann needs to look at his teams first match vs Lyon to understand why they'll no longer play a role in this years competition, and needs to move towards defining how he intends his team to progress if their to be something more than completely one dimensional side dependent on the form and fitness of Fischer - Hansen - Harder.

It was a poor decision by Popp to extend her stay in Wolfsburg, with the likes of Wullaert, Simic, Pajor, Van Egmond wasting their time sat on the bench when better offers are definitely available to them. Change is needed.....

14. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    When do is the Man. vs. Lyon match?? this is going to be fun.

15. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So that weak league just sent two teams in the semi-final :eek::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:.........I guess some people really need to start believe me when I say French league is not weak but unbalanced, can't be compared to any other league ou there on technical level. Period.
    Talking about the games, unfortunately I haven't been able to do it yet but I'd love to watch PSG one, it was their first time ever playing at the Parc des Princes for many (if not all) so I was sure the girls would have been galvanized but the fourteen thousand fans who by the way certainly gave them a night they will never forget, and vice versa....Excellent news for our world cup in 2019, only two years left....can't wait!
    Not really surprised by OL defeat, is never easy to play with a 2-0 advantage against a team clearly designed to counter-attack.....Kellermann game plan against OL overall was correct, keep a close result in the first leg (preferably a draw) and play counter-attack in the second.
    It was clearly ruined by Precheur decision to switch from a cautious 4-2-3-1 to full attack mode with Maro, Abily, Morgan, Le Sommer and Hegerberg all in at the same time - first leg second half - OL eliminated the German thank to that tactical move.
    Another superb performance from Alex Morgan, who will be offered a new contract this week according to very serious sources.....They say the contract will be more or less the same that the current one with Alex joining the club in January 2018, she's currently learning French and clearly enjoy her time in Lyon very much so I will not be surprise if she signs.
    The two French teams are among the very richest female clubs worlwide but Barcelona and Man. City didn't spent a lot to have strong teams...I means their budget should probably be around one million euro or even less....basically nothing for men's clubs which could lead many of them to invest (and be serious...) on their female section and forcing UEFA to finally give three clubs to at least France and Germany..

gricio61 repped this.
  16. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    #191 SiberianThunderT, Mar 31, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
    Trying to use two of the best five or ten teams in the world to claim the entire league isn't weak is, was, and always will be a flawed argument. Cream-of-the-crop arguements are never sound. You'll never convince anyone about the strength of the entire league just based on its best two teams, in the same way you'll never convince anyone a league is strong just based on that country's NT. No one has ever doubted the strength of Lyon and PSG, especially considering how much they tend to beat on the rest of the league, so seeing them succeed means nothing for judging the strength of the rest of the league. Period.

blissett repped this.
  17. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yep she's still injured, she'll be back next season.
    I am ony using Rapinoe because she's the most known case but I could add Herlovsen, Uwak, Sameshima, Asllani, Mittag, Ella Masar etc.....all players who came with very high expectation but didn't realize it and left soon after.....I repeat I'm not discussing their abilities, they are a top players (well only Asllani is overrated..) but D1F is not as easy as many, those who claim is a weak league...lool...., think.

18. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Say what you want I don't need to convince anyone, I give you inside knowledge on French female football in general but if you don't even know what the difference between unbalanced and weak is? Or what is Clairefonaine is...like really???:eek::eek:...Your case is closed.

ps: If you guys judge a league by how close the results between the various clubs participating are, so basically under your logic Spanish, Portuguese, English, Czech, Belgian, Dutch leagues etc...are ALL stronger (higher level of difficulty) than Division 1 feminine???:eek::eek:.....like really???

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #194 hotjam2, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017

Man City has made other significant changes as well; Lawley starts over Parris, Walsh over Christiansen & Middag,, McManus over Beattie & Campbell.

For a team that's not been beaten in almost an year, did they really need these changes? And has it paid off for them?' The 1-0 wins over a tough,defensive minded Dane team, but their last two other games were only one goal victories against light weights, Reading & Bristol City. Since their still returning from being off season, I don't think this team is in full gear as of yet to give Lyon a formidable challange
    it' s easy now to 2nd guess Kellermann, I would of agreed though(from your previous post) that Harder should of played AM with with Popp & either Wullert/Mittag/Pajor at fwds, Or just go with Popp as lone central striker(and hit them with an avalanche of wing play) as she was the only one with a strong, header game on the team.
    But despite the Goessling injury, I still believe this was Wolfsburg's best team ever, It did have Germany's(or rather, Jones picks) entire starting back line(save Fisher instead of Henning). It did have Jones starting front line in Popp & Mittag, This time around they had finally a healthy Caro & my pick for p.o.y, Harder. But all that wasn't going to be good enough to take on defending CL champs, Lyon, who only grew much stronger with the arrivals of Maro, Morgan, Buchanan, Hamraoui, Seger.
    h
    As for Kellermann ditching domestic players for foreign, true; if he was so keen on getting Harder, tan why didn't he try to get Maro in the first place? It was Maro's goal that in part destroyed Wolfsburg's chances, and fell into into Lyon's ingenious scheme of buying Bundesliga players & using it against them(former TP's Hegerberg & Bremer scored the goal for Lyon at last year's final)
    As reported, Mittag's all ready dumped Wolfsburg to go back to Rosengard, Can't blame her, she's Jones darling on the NT, but got almost no playing time with Kellermann. The newest news is that Miedema wants to dumb Bayern Munich for Wolfsburg. So don't see Kellermann turning back to domestic players anytime soon/

PS can't blame anyone for wanting to dump Bayern Munich, the injury rate over there simply appalling! the latest casualt?; yep, you guessed it; after being back for about 4 games, Lena Lotzen once again out with an ACL

20. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Also, Mana Iwabuchi had just come back for Algarve Cup and is now injured again.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Walsh has started most of the games last season, Lawley was signed to fill the gap on the City's wings, Beattie and Campbell injured.

22. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So bad for her, she was such a talented player.

jnielsen repped this.
  23. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    HUH...? First it needs to be said since joining Wolfsburg Popp's career as a forward has generally been growing increasingly worse while remaining part of a club who's transfer policy has zero correlation to any kind of intelligent strategy to sustain true improvement within it's first team.

And second, how is this current individualistic mess of Wolfsburg it's best ever TEAM..? From back to front this TEAM has clear issues Wolfsburg's first group to produce success didn't have, seeing it's spine of Fischer - Keßler - Goeßling - Müller - Pohlers infinitely more influential than what we currently see from Fischer - Hansen - Harder.

I mean look... Nilla Fischer's Wolfsburg's joint top scorer in the league this season lol. A huge 6 saw Alex Popp last seasons top scorer. With only 2014 producing Müller and Popp in double figures, and the last time Wolfsburg had 1 or more forwards in the leagues top 6 lol. So how many guesses do you need to assess why that could be...?

Yes, rivals at home and abroad have improved, but when Germany's top domestic names are either trying to leave or not wanting to join Wolfsburg, you have to ask questions about the development of this club since it's initial raid of domestic rivals in order to provide the platform for where they are today.

I'm not saying recruiting top players from foreign leagues is some kind of mistake or problem, no; I just question the genuine progress of a club who's first success was built on the dismantling of past uefa cup/UCL winning Duisburg - Potsdam teams, and what this means for their future within a league soon to be in a constant title/UCL qualification fluctuation.

24. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    @hotjam2 Plus I wouldn't go too hard on Bayern either, as your looking at a club that's still building towards it's own platform for long term/sustained success.

Not being a fan of the way they play, I've still noticed the really strong recruitment work at youth level, bringing in a host of very talented foreign and domestic players in their early 20's, as their coach struggles to evolve beyond a defense first approach, knowing he needs to rectify the clear over reliance on winning through a few key individuals producing something special each game.

So injury's probably killed their team this season, but once again their potential team for the season to follow already looks to be another improvement...

------- Der Gragt --- Demann --- Berge ---------
    Maier ------- Behringer --- Laudehr ---------- Faißt
    ---- Däbritz --------- Miedema -------- Damjanovic ----

Potential Bench:
    Rolfo - Iwabuchi - Leupolz - Lewandowski - Schnaderbeck - Evans - Gerhardt

Meaning Bayern are still taking the right steps to clear out all the old players below a certain level, and eventually establish themselves as Germany's #1 women's team in the next 3-5 years.

I mean your not struggling to beat Jena or Duisburg one week, then expecting to compete among Europe's best if your platform for success is based on having Wenninger - Abbe - Lewandowski stopping the opposition, while Rolser scores goals lol.

25. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #200 hotjam2, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    HA---you know Lewnadowski is the big deal for coach Worhle, clocking in so far 1350 minutes of playing time/ In the meantime Maier seems to be a non factor on the squad with no goals to her credit/or at least, a 360 degree reversal on her NT, where she often takes the most shots of anybody during a game.
    Probably quite a few players(like Miedema) will ditch BM if they can't qualify for the CL for next season, but looking at once again a hard luck, injury laden spring/2nd season Turbine Potsdam squad goes back to desperately starting two mediocre Eastern Euro's players, I think BM will eventual get the 2nd spot.
    While an injury free BM roster looks impressive, they still can only account for one player making FIFA;s top ten list in recent years(Behringer) while Lyon got close to a dozen of them!
    looking back at the WOB/Lyon CL final of fours ago.
    http://us.women.soccerway.com/match...wolfsburg/olympique-lyonnais-feminin/1416181/
    Kellermann did have an impressive domestic, featuring 10 of 11 GE starters, as well as Lyon, who had 9 of 11 French starters. Since then. both teams decided to go global. You got to think it's cause they wanted to get not only stronger but also diversify it's rhythm or style.
    On paper, Lyon got a team that's stronger than any NT out there. A squad that would be favorite to win an WC, Olympic or Euro title.
    Kellermann's squad is not shabby either; while he did have Kessler & Magull back then, his current squad does include 6-7 German NT"s that Jones will possibly start(Schult, Blasse, Kerschowski, Peter, Popp, Mittag & if un injured, Goessling) to add to a super international roster of Fisher, Hansen, Harder, Gunnarsdottir, Pajor & Wuellert.
    Notice too, that simply the worst NT starter that Germany's ever produced at CB, Henning, is now on Lyon's B squad, to used as fodder for practice.

The one thing I don't understand, both clubs build the strongest team on paper, just to win the CL. But so few people actually can watch these CL games. I mean it's been blacked out & no replays to be found, You can even see here at this forum(as well as others) the lack of interest in it(as compared to a major tournament), So where is the money in all of this? if so few people watch the CL? Does FIFA just hand out mucho dineros to the winner for clubs to spend this kind of money(to buy the players)