UEFA UCL 2016/17 Semi-Finals Draw

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Eddie, Apr 21, 2017.

?

Who would you like to face in the Semi-Finals?

Poll closed Apr 22, 2017.
  1. Atletico Madrid

42.3%
  2. AS Monaco

42.3%
  3. Juventus

15.4%
  1. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Of all the reasons to rig a draw, intentionally putting a tired matchup on in the semifinals to avoid a 25% chance of having a tired matchup in the final has to be about one of the weakest justifications I've ever heard. The risk/reward is not remotely close.

russian hattie repped this.
  2. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    #77 Saeta Rubia, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    Yup. And Atletico got Leverkusen and LC in previous rounds. They could have had a Mdrid derby in QF or given Atletico tough draws if there were any such conspiracies. I don't believe in draw rigging at all. Sometimes you have multiple legends involved in the draw.

Raul_Madrid repped this.
  3. trts

trts Member+

Feb 3, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Haha, I can see a scenario where Fabio Cannavaro or Ruud Gullit (seemingly always involved in these draws) could be on their deathbed and proclaim to their grandsons, "it's all rigged, son! The balls are heavy and hot! They threatened to kill my entire family if I told anyone!" ...and then they die.

Deep Pal and Hsain85 repped this.
  4. iggymcfly

iggymcfly Member

Jun 20, 2014
    It just seems like it because the host always gets placed in the first pot whether they deserve it or not so they'll sometimes be in easier groups overall because they're the weakest team in their pot. The rigging theory doesn't pass muster if you look at the remaining teams. Mexico/Croatia/Cameroon was average for teams from the bottom 3 pots last World Cup. The tournament before that South Africa got placed with France, Mexico, and Uruguay which was easily the toughest draw for any top seed.

5. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Another good point, at some point in the future the money transfers to the accounts of people (offshore company's which the players are associated with etc.) who aren't UEFA employees that are involved (because they'd obviously want something significant in return) would be picked up by audits or other investigations (like the one which caught onto the Blatter - Platini transfer). UEFA are corrupt but not stupid, the risks they'd face if this came to light far outweigh the positives of fixing match ups.

6. ChocolateCandy

ChocolateCandy Member+

Real Madrid
    Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter who plays in the final, it will be sold out, hundreds of millions will tune in, and I'm sure most advertisements have already been bought. There's no good reason to risk a scandal.

iggymcfly and Zidane05 repped this.
  7. xRamos4

xRamos4 Member+

May 14, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    UEFA would be risking a great deal approaching any of the hosting footballers to participate in their scandal. If they ask Figo and he says no, why in the hell would he just keep their secret? Might have happened in the past within a small circle of trusted people. But they could never continue a rouse like that year after year, someone participating would let it slip privately, someone would whistle blow or they would get caught red handed.

8. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    downloadfile-3.jpg

LULZ

Nathanial Essex, S1na and Lyra repped this.
  9. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Juventus vs Monaco

The best veteran defenders vs the dynamic young attackers.

10. Lyra

Lyra Member+

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Monaco don't stand a choice.
    Plain and simple.

11. S1na

S1na Member+

Real Madrid
    Jun 1, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Juventus attack is under rated. Dybala and Quadrado are definitely dangerous attackers capable of scoring counter attacks. They arent just defenders and buffon. They have solid fullbacks too.
    Edit: no talk about pipita because u know its champions league :rolleyes:

chiku86 and J-Mezzy repped this.
  12. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I did not say who is going to win. I just find the matchup interesting.

13. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Juventus has so much hype right now. They better be careful they don't buy into it only to get stunned by Monaco's attack.

raven3k, Shay Z and Zidane05 repped this.
  14. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah I hope we don't. I am actually a little worried about all the hype we are starting to get.

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  15. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    Exactly. :)

16. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    In the most recent era of football, it's hard to deny that Barcelona are not the team of the current century.

However, if we become the first team to defend The Champions League title, that will blow all Barcelona's achievements and our trophyless seasons out of the water and establish us as the greatest
    team in this current generation and millennium.

S1na and Anon. repped this.
  17. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Monaco got a lot of hype right now too. That is why it is a good match-up.

S1na repped this.
  18. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I disagree. Moncao's pace and offensive might will give juve huge problems. They have a strong structure and good work ethic.

This match for me is a toss up; 50-50. What I do know is juve must get a favorable result in the first match. If they don't they will be in huge trouble. This match up will definitely be Dybala vs Mbappe.

raven3k and Excape Goat repped this.
  19. Crimson

Crimson BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 11, 2009
    People forget how slow Juventus is, great tactically but they are slow.

Monaco has more than a chance of beating them imo. If it turns into a shootout, Juventus don't have the offence to keep up

20. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    City and Dortmund's inflexible style (high line, possession, many attackers), played right into Monaco's hands. Unlike in the Barca ties where Juve pressed very high especially at the beginning of all four halves, my guess is that Allegri will deny Monaco the space they need to break and look to counter themselves.

Juve also mirror Monaco's 4-4-2 formation. Monaco destroyed City and Dortmund on the flanks since those sides continuously allowed Monaco to go 2v1 in these areas. Cuadrado-Alves and Mandzukic-Sandro will prevent Juve from being overloaded like this.

I think this tie comes down to whether Monaco can break down Juve's low block and how well the French side starts. In the first 60 minutes at home, Monaco must take the lead. They tired out in both matches vs City as well as against Dortmund in the first leg. They started poorly vs PSG recently and lost 4-1. Unless Juve mentally collapse, Monaco won't have the luxury of being gifted goals like Dortmund gave them (own goal, two intercepted back passes, goal keeping error).

S1na, 9Qui and Doni repped this.
  21. 9Qui

9Qui Moderator
    Staff Member

May 26, 2004
    It's a different hype. People are surprised and a little bit thrilled about their performance and are anxious to see how far they can go. The Juve hype is "Wow, they beat mighty Barca, they're a great a side, and now they're favorites to take the title".

22. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Juve has a very good team .
    You build a solid well balaced team starting from its defense and they probably have the best one out There.
    I guess it came as a surprised to some people that they could actually shut down and eliminate Barca.

23. soccerr9

soccerr9 Member+

Jun 6, 2005
    In truth all four teams remaining can be thought of similarly. The ease in which Juve eliminated Barca was surprising. Although a top side, this can give neutrals a false sense of how good they are. Juve have also only trailed for a total of 10-15 minutes in all 10 of their CL matches combined.

Real eliminated Bayern taking leads when 10 on 11 and without Lewa. You can't help but be impressed like with Juve, yet at the same time there is still enough room to question how impressive these victories actually were.

Atletico have faced Leicester (14th in EPL) and Leverkusan (12th).

Monaco played two teams that they matched up ridiculously well against. Both City and Dortmund (even with Bartra) are atrocious defensively and were ultra-attacking. Dortmund literally gifted Monaco goals.

24. robnycus

robnycus Member+

Jun 28, 2010
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Monaco lost to Juve already in the group stages. If I am not mistaken they were unable to score.
    Now it will be different of course but I see Monaco making more mistakes than Juve and that will decide who prevails

25. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Juve were in Sevilla's group. And Monaco were in the group that included Spurs and Leverkusen. They haven't played each other this year.