[UEFA] Play-offs

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pablo85, Oct 10, 2009.

1. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    France - Ireland
    Should be a tight one. Ireland don't allow many goals and they were unbeaten against Italy.

Bosnia - Portugal
    This one depends on which version of Portugal turns up. Both have strong attacking players but are dodgy at the back. Could be a very exciting fixture.

Ukraine - Greece
    Strongest non-seed against weakest seed IMO. Ukraine were strong in England and Croatia's group while Greece have not looked great.

Slovenia - Russia
    Russia had a good qualifying campaign and ran Germany close. Slovenia's group was a close one with no team overly dominant.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Although one has to wonder about England's motive to win that match in Kyiv. Ukraine are a bit overrated ATM thanks to the easiest draw in World Cup history (2006) and the timing of that England match.

These teams did play twice in qualifying back in 2004, 2005. Drew 1-1 in Ukraine, and Ukraine won 1-nil in Greece. The latter had huge implications in that WC qualifying group as Ukraine clinched first-place and the win also meant they could take-it-easy in their match against Turkey (and they did) thus screwing Greece twice.

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Greece is a difficult team to fathom. I wouldn't discount them at all.

There is an excellent team chemistry among its players. Charisteas, Samaras, Gekas, Karagounis, Katsouranis, etc. have, at times, a nearly telepathic understanding.

I'd say Greece is a typical example of where the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts.

4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ukraine played well against England at home too. It was by far our most difficult game in this campaign, prior to qualification.

As mentioned on the "seeding" thread, for various reasons I think this is a fairly tight pool of teams.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Didn't Peter Crouch start for England that match? :p

6. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, I believe the prolific Tottenham and England goalscorer, Peter "Minnowsquasher" Crouch was involved. ;)

7. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Charisteas...one of the weakest players around in Europe. Scored some headers in their Euro 2004 matches, and the hype was born.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yes, he was over-hyped at some point, but a player that keeps scoring for his NT is to be appreciated.

He's scored 4 goals and is the second top scorer for Greece in the qualifiers. And he's far behind Gekas in part because he missed half of the qualifiers due to injury.

9. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    your dream draw? people usually dream of expensive cars, lotto winnings and trophy wives.

dreaming about football playoff draws is a bit odd lol

10. zlz_deutschland_zlz

zlz_deutschland_zlz New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    i would like to see FRANCE,RUSSIA,BOSNIA,GREECE advance to world cup 2010 and this is my opinion why?
    FRANCE - IRELAND : IRELAND is the only team going to play-off without lost and they almost beat ITALY,but FRANCE is back just look at their clubs in CL,and FRENCH players got more experienced though.
    RUSSIA - SLOVENIA : SLOVENIA could be the weakest team of 8 so i do not think SLOVENIA can beat RUSSIA.
    PORTUGAL - BOSNIA : on paper PORTUGAL should beat BOSNIA because they got experienced and rank higher but BOSNIA second behind SPAIN so PORTUGAL must at their best to beat BOSNIA and remember BOSNIA got some good players from GERMAN clubs,ENGLISH clubs and ITALIAN clubs and they are tough at home.
    GREECE - UKRAINE : when you edge out CROATS to be second in group that is very impressived and i think GREECE is a good match up for UKRAINIAN but still i think GREECE will advance and do not forget they were EURO champions 2004 and i wanna see GREECE at world cup,last world cup UKRAINE dissappointed me after they lost to ITALY 3-0 so they just a ordinary and got no chance to go deep next year.

11. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    can i just ask you, WHY?

Greece must have played the most boring football on the planet at Euro 2008. It was painful. I think I would prefer to have my scrotum removed from around my testicles, and have it engineered into an extremely pointy object that would get repeatedly stuck into my eye sockets over seeing Greece at the World Cup.

great country though, love it lol

yeah, what a bunch of useless hacks those Ukrainians are. you know, losing to Italy, disappointing it's fans worldwide. i think they're right up with Germany and France there in terms of disappointing it's fans when it comes to losing to Italy. i don't know man, in my German world, if you can't beat Italy, it's pigfarm time!

useless Ukrainian swine.

12. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  13. zlz_deutschland_zlz

zlz_deutschland_zlz New Member

Oct 19, 2009
    NEWYORK n DUSSELDORF
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    do you know why i wanna see GREECE at world cup?because i want to see new team that's all,yeah i hate it after GERMANY lost to ITALY,if they just hold it for a few minutes then come to penalty then we might in final and could win a world cup if we face FRANCE though,but i like this world cup coming up,all 32 team more balance and so interesting.i would like to see GREECE,BOSNIA,RUSSIA AND FRANCE at world cup,i am doubt about IRELAND chance because they coming to play-off with defeat attitute but FRANCE must be at their best to beat IRELAND.

14. wiz0rd

wiz0rd Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Moscow
    Club:
    CSKA Moskva
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia

to each their own, i guess. i've seen enough of Greece at Euros. ZZZZZzzzzzzzz!

i'm cheering for Ukraine, even those hacks hate us so much lol.

nothing against Greece though - great country, great people lol

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Am I the only one thinking that the UEFA qualifying playoffs should be one game at a neutral ground? first-legs = ZZzzzzz....

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    Yes.

17. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Playoffs are too much of a crapshoot already, reducing them to one game just makes that worse. It's a qualifying process - I'd rather they make it as fair as possible, rather than try and make it exciting.

I'd rather have a boring playoff and save the exciting matches for the final tournament.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe, but then again these playoffs are essentially just a tiebreaker. If its part of the tournament proper (like CL knockout rounds) I can see the need for 2 legs, but tiebreakers usually call for dramatic and quick resolutions.

Have the international friendlies on Saturday, and on Sunday schedule something like the following:
    Russia v Slovenia 14h00 CET (Vienna)
    Ireland v France 16h00 CET (White Hart Lane, London)
    Ukraine v Greece 19h00 CET (Zagreb, Croatia)
    Portugal v Bosnia 21h00 CET (Monte Carlo)

Much of Europe would be watching, IMO. As it is, I doubt many people watched these first-legs unless their country was involved.

19. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru

i think this will be neutral places

amsterdam instead of vienna, oslo or Copenhagen instead of London, Rome instead od Monte Carlo, and somewhere in France instead of Zagreb

20. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Ahm, he was trying to find a middle ground. Why would Ukraine and Greece play in France?

It's a senseless idea anyway. I couldn't care less if Portugal is going to be watched by more if I can't see them live...

21. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It happend for euro96, Holland had a one game playoff with Ireland in Liverpool

22. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Having a single game would force teams to be even cautious. Alot of the games would go down to penalties. When so much is at stake a two leg tie is needed.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Travelling is always a big part of following your NT anyway though if you want to see them live. Travelling half the distance on the weekend seems more convenient than travelling to Lisboa on the weekend and then the full-distance to Sarajevo in midweek.

24. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    because france is cool!

25. saadoony

saadoony New Member

Nov 12, 2009