[UEFA] Play-offs

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by pablo85, Oct 10, 2009.

1. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    So what do we think.
    Seeding is based on FIFA ranking.

According to the standings with one round to play
    06 Russia
    10 France

12 Greece
    17 Portugal

25 Ukrain
    38 Ireland
    46 Bosnia
    54 Slovenia

From what I have seen today from the Russians, what an athletes. I'm sure they are making the finals. I don't hope they will get Bosnia. A very talented team (Dzeko, Misimovic) that I would like to see in the finals. I see them beating a team like France in a dual matchup.

2. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would like to see these match ups:
    Bosnia - Greece, so Bosnia would have a good chance to qualify
    Russia - Ukraine, Derby time!

3. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    I want to see this Bosnia-Portugal...mostly so that I could put money on it. The odds would be largely in favor of Portugal, but I think Bosnia would walk through Portugal...

4. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Bosnia - Greece that would become a hot evening for the players (passionate fans)
    Ukraine or Russia isn't nice to play in in November either (temperatures)
    Little things that play a role.

5. Bosanac

Bosanac New Member

Jul 24, 2004
    Thanks to you guys who are supporting Bosnia. We finished it off quiet nicely today with almost a perfect game. We looked quiet good. (I know its Estonia but nobody can be taken lightly today)

Really, no matter who we face, it will be an uphill battle. But I am somewhat comforted by the fact that we only lost 1-0 to Spain away...who I see as the best nation in Europe.

But yes, offense is our game. And I think it would be even more so at the WC. We play offensive so all many of these key players get to play together.

Dzeko (Wolfsburg) - has 8 goals in WCQ (one behind Rooney at 9) Had 26 goals last year in Bundesliga.
    Misimovic (Wolfsburg) - led the Bundesliga in assists - 20. (set a record)
    Ibisevic (Hoffenheim) - last year was the leading goal scorer in Bundesliga halfway through before his season ending injury.
    Salihovic (Hoffenheim) - one of the best free-kick tackers in Bundesliga. Awesome crossers/shots as well.
    Pjanic (Lyon) - Key player on Lyon, creative attacking midfielder, who is also lethal on set-pieces. Only 19yrs old. 2G 2A so far in CL.
    Ibricic (Hajduk) - Maybe our 2nd most valuable behind Misimovic..should be at a better club but loves it there.
    Bajramovic (Frankfurt) - Too many injury issues so hasn't played as much as he should. But always a key player for us. Was given up by Shalke couple years ago only do to major injury problems.

Aside from Bajramovic, this is a very young group, 26yrs old and under.

6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Unless you plan on being a spectator at either of the legs of this tie, why should temperature matter? Both teams know this weather well. Shouldn't be a problem for either.

7. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Bosnia is underrated but Im actually more scared of Rep. Ireland.

8. blank_frackis

blank_frackis New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Club:
    Aberdeen FC
    I don't think the post you're responding to was suggesting that it would be a factor if Russia played Ukraine (though it could certainly still be a factor as some teams adapt better than others) but that whoever draws Russia or Ukraine might find it difficult - Portugal, for instance, wouldn't want to go to Ukraine.

In saying that, I've been to Bosnia in winter and it can get exceptionally cold there as well.

9. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Moved to UEFA forum.

10. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    It is a slight advantage for the teams that are used to it.
    Of course they have more experience playing on a frozen pitch than Portugal.

I think we all agree that teams like Portugal aren't there yet. Wonder if Portugal will draw Slovenia...with the FIFA wanting c.ronaldo at the World Cup.

11. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Portuguese being benefited?! It's about time :D

12. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Slovenia? I think it will be Slovakia and not Slovenia. :p

13. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    Considering that Slovenia is playing away @ San Marino & Slovakia have to travel to Poland for the final game, it might turn out that way indeed.

14. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Remember Euro2000? Ukraine were considered the best play-off team. They drew what everyone thought was the weakest play-off team, Slovenia. And lost to them 1-2, 1-1.

15. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bosnia vs Portugal or France, would love it if Bosnia took one of them out. :D

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    None of the "seeded teams" will want to draw Ireland....and here's betting the Irish make it to 2010 regardless of who they play.

17. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    After the way the players and coach complained about the decision of FIFA to use the Rankings and seed teams, I wouldn't be surprised they go into the games with a defeated attitude if they draw any of the seeded teams but Greece.

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    You don't know the Irish very well....personaly I'd bet on them against ANY of the remaining teams over two legs.

19. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Y'see, this is why I've been arguing elswhere against the decision to seed.

I've seen a lot of both Russia and Ukraine in recent years and I have to say that both are decent outfits.

Ireland are a tough prospect.

Boznia have some great players. Ditto Portugal. Both have the ability to do serious damage on their day.

France are kinda transitional right now. Haven't looked that great in a while.

I know the rationale behind seeding but I honestly think it should have been an open draw. They should have at least made it clear from the start.

But no mind. Can't wait to see who get's there. I'm half English (grew up there), half Irish (N. Ireland on Mum's side), live in the states and most of my local soccer-watching friends are Mexican. I'll be routing for England but would like to see all four have good tournaments. (If the Republic get there)

20. Makandal

Makandal Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Cambridge, MA (USA)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Haiti
    While I don't like the idea of seeding the teams based on overall FIFA rankings, I don't think open draw would be any fairer. The most logical and fairest way would be to seed them based on their qualification performance, in which case Ireland would still come out on the losing end, in theory at least, as they're standing last among the qualified number 2s (with 1 game to go).

I believe Ireland can beat any of the teams currently in the pool, that's why I'm surprised they're complaining about the seeding. It's not like with open draw they would be guaranteed a weak team. Beside, at this stage I think they should consider every single of these teams dangerous. So one would underestimate the likes of Slovenia (or Slovakia) and Bosnia at one's own peril.

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    When is the draw?

22. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
  23. johnmatrix

johnmatrix New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Monday, October 19th at 14:00 CET, on FIFA.com.

24. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think my dream draw would be...

Russia : Ukraine
    Greece : Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Portugal : Republic of Ireland
    France : Slovenia

Personally would like to see Russia, Bosnia, Ireland and France advance.

25. pablo85

pablo85 Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Saturday 14 november:

Ireland - France
    Portugal - Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Greece - Ukraine
    Russia - Slovenia

Wednesday 18 november:

France - Ireland
    Bosnia-Herzegovina - Portugal
    Ukraine - Greece
    Slovenia - Russia

I'm content with the draw.
    Russia a team that I want to see at the World Cup, draws Slovenia.
    France (faded glory) against Ireland (upcoming, with a decent coach).
    Portugal against Bosnia...there's enough talent in the Bosnian team to win, against Portugal who is playing very bad all of the qualification, and I have some hatred inside of me against that diving and acting game of those Portuguese, it's not my game.
    Hoping for Bosnia, Ireland, Russia and I don´t care about Greece or Ukraine continuing.