UEFA Nations League

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by verde-rubro, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    However, this England side is a step up from most previous versions, this England side is capable of winning tournaments. Holland, one of our favourites beat us recently and even though it was a friendly, it laid Down a marker. Switzerland remain Switzerland and the other three teams Will want them in the semis, as do I, between England and Holland in the final, if we were to win the semi versus Switzerland, I would go for England, although losing to Holland in a final at Home would be bearable, losing against England would be extremely painful.

verde-rubro repped this.
  2. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Sure, it's just funny. A few days ago we were expecting it to be Portugal, Spain, France and Belgium. Now, in all honesty, Portugal should be clear favorites to win on home soil even though Netherlands is finally playing well again and England's young talent is making a mark.

3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    x2

4. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Don't downplay the Swiss. They are a big threat.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I am not going to down play any opponent in the world.. we have learned our lessons in the past (Euro 2004).

That being said, when looking at the rosters, and the good chance Ronaldo will be back included into the squad forming a front 3 of CR-AS-BS.. i think we should certainly be the favourites, even more so due to the fact it is on home soil.

I wonder what sort of reception this tournament will have with the fans and the media.. its literally 4 teams and 2 games.. it will probably go un-noticed. I say this just because recalling the Confed Cup, it was almost non-existent;atleast in the eyes of the PT media.

6. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    What are we expecting for the match v Poland tomorrow? line up wise..

-------Guedes----------Eder----------Bruma

---------------J.Mario----------Sanches
    --------------------------Danilo
    --Guerreiro-----Neto----------Pepe----Cedric
    --------------------------Beto

Subs:
    Rafa
    Pizzi
    B.Fernandes
    Cancelo
    Dias
    Fonte
    A.Silva
    Patricio

B.Silva, Neves, Rui have already been sent back to their clubs.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's your team like at the moment. Who are the youngsters coming through. Ruben Neves is mint, one of my favourite players who are the other good youngsters outsiders might not know?

8. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    A lot of people seem confused by this but:

The Winner of the Nations League does not get automatic qualification to Euro 2020

9. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portugal is the first and only nation to qualify for the final round of all (now) 4 major senior finals.

10. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I think there will be some big hype around it.. many of my friends here in England have already booked their flights!

11. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Then what do you get?

12. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you get a play off, so if we were to Finnish 3rd in our group for the 2020 qualifiers and if we were to win the nations league then we would have a play off for a back door entry to the 2020 [ if we were to win the play off ]

13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    There’s a fair few coming through, probably the best generation Portugal have had in a very long time if not the best ever. Our 99 generation are the first side to win u17 euro and then u19 euro in the history of uefa all while missing 6 starting players.

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We already have the playoff spot as group winner.

Win the Nations League you get a trophy and are called champions of the Nations League.

Much like when you win a Euro or World Cup you win a trophy and are champions of either tournament.

Yes, lame but beats friendlies and offers a new style of competition.

FIFA wants in on a version of the nations league concacaf has a version other confederations may get one and then who knows this may replace the confederations cup or become a more global competition.

15. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Oh I forgot to mention that the Nations League final standings also determine the pots for the Euro moving forward:

Euro 2020 Seeding
    Pot 1

Belgium, Croatia, England, France, Netherlands, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland, Poland

Pot 2

Germany, Iceland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Ukraine, Denmark, Russia, Austria, Wales, Czech Republic, Sweden

Pot 3

Slovakia, Turkey, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway, Serbia, Finland, Scotland, Bulgaria, Israel

Pot 4

Albania, Cyprus, Estonia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania

Pot 5

Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Gibraltar, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldova, Faroe Islands

Pot 6

Andorra, Latvia, Liechtenstein, San Marino, Malta

Portugal, Switzerland, Netherlands, and England will be in groups A-D that will only feature 5 teams so that they may play 2 games for the UNL Finals without disrupting amount of matches played during qualifying. So instead of a home and away vs San Marino we play a semi final and either the final or 3rd place match.

16. figueira

figueira Member

Feb 8, 2007
    NJ
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I think you have to win it to get a playoff spot

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    It's really not that hard, guys, and we aren't making this stuff up:
    • Nobody qualifies directly to Euro 2020 through the Nations League. Nobody.
    • League A group winners advance to the Nations League Finals. The winner of that tournament gets a trophy and the title of Nations League Champion. That's it.
    • League B, C and D group winners move up a league. Those who finish last in their League A, B or C group move down a league. Those in the middle of their group stay put.
    • Every country participates in Euro 2020 Qualifying. This is the first route to Euro 2020.
    • There are 10 qualifying groups for Euro 2020. The top two teams in each group advance to the tournament. That's 20 of the 24 teams.
    • Euro 2020 Qualifying Playoffs consist of 16 teams. These 16 teams will be the top Nations League group finishers that did not advance to Euro 2020 through their respective qualifying group. This determines the final 4 of 24 teams at Euro 2020.
    • The Euro 2020 Qualifying Playoffs will be four mini tournaments featuring four teams each. Each mini tournament is a single-elimination knockout tournament. 1 plays 4 and 2 plays 3. The winners of those two matches advance to play each other for a spot in Euro 2020.
    • Every Nations League group winner that fails to advance to Euro 2020 from their qualifying group gets to participate in the qualifying playoff. If a Nations League group winner advances to Euro 2020 by finishing top two in their qualifying group, the second place team in their Nations League group gets their playoff spot if it hasn't yet advanced to Euro 2020. And so on.
    • Portugal won its Nations League group, so if it fails to finish top two in its qualifying group it will be in the qualifying playoffs. At that point it must win a four-team mini tournament to qualify for Euro 2020.
    • What happens in the Nations League Finals next June has no bearing on Euro 2020 Qualifying. Euro 2020 Qualifying begins before the NL Finals, so Portugal will plays its first two Euro 2020 Qualifying matches in March.
    • The four teams in the Nations League Finals will be in qualifying groups A, B, C and D, which will be the only five team groups. This is to accommodate their participation in the NL Finals. They'll play eight qualifying matches and two matches in the NL Finals. Other qualfying groups have six teams playing 10 matches apiece.
    • The Euro 2020 Qualifying Draw is Sunday, December 2.
    • The Nations League Finals Draw is Monday, December 3. That's also the day UEFA officially declares Portugal the NL Finals host.

19. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    You’ve done well here, this has cleared everything up in my mind so thank you

I also love how you said it’s not that hard and proceeded to thoroughly map out 13 seperate points Hahahaha.

20. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto

Source? :p;)

[​IMG]

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Ha ha, I was just trying to be thorough. Until the past few days it was very difficult to find this information. The media did a poor job of explaining how Nations League and Euro 2020 tie together.

I'll reiterate for those who probably don't want to read my 327 bullet points above:
    1. Portugal's not into Euro 2020 if it wins the Nations League.
    2. Portugal's first chance to qualify for Euro 2020 is through qualifying group play, which begins in March.
    3. Portugal can still qualify for Euro 2020 through the playoffs if it needs to do so. Winning its NL group earned Portugal: A) a spot in the Finals and B) a spot in the playoffs (if necessary).

22. Joao Bibliotecario

Jun 24, 2014
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Haha, I was trying to explain the NL to the doorman in my building, he livestreams soccer all evening on his shifts. He never heard of it and thought it sounded totally strange!

23. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No we won our group that's what counts.

24. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Draw for the finals
    upload_2018-12-3_13-54-35.jpeg

JoseEmidio repped this.
  25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Out of the 3 teams, probably the best one we could draw. We've beaten Switzerland before and playing on home turf.

JoseEmidio repped this.