UEFA Nations League

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by verde-rubro, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Ramos77

Ramos77 Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Jun 24, 2017
    Sure we've qualified for the finals, awesome.

But that first half was the worst I've seen a Portuguese team play since Portugal played Morocco at the world cup. When you can't keep the ball and put together 3 passes, there's a problem.

Sorry but Santos is too negative,this is basically a friendly tournament that means nothing and he's still playing dire negative football.

2. D_Jota

D_Jota Red Card

Wolverhampton
    Portugal
    Jul 30, 2018
    Again, were they "negative" against Croatia, Italy(first leg) Poland or Scotland? Because Portuguese people tend to be overly negative it rubs me the wrong way how so many of you here are masters of ignoring positives even if they heavily outweigh the negatives. 2 losses now in 36 competitive matches, our first major trophy and he constantly adjusts, more than any previous manager. But hey, we should get rid of him because it's always a great idea to send a message to all future managers that you will be fired if you don't have a 100% record after 40 games. Or you will be fired if the results are good but the fans don't like your style of play. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm just grateful F.Santos knows about this game more than everyone here combined. Some of the sh*t I read here is not only negative, but straight ridiculous.

3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    We all wish they played jogo bonito but that got us nowhere. Who else can play like crap and still make it through?

This nations league isn't worthless, we have a chance to qualify for euro 2020.

4. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If we win it and get qualify for Euro 2020, then what games we would be playing when every other European team are playing the qualifying rounds?

5. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We still will have to play the qualifying games

RedBullSeven repped this.
  6. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I was begging prior to the line up announcement that Renato was going to start. He compliments William and Neves so perfectly. As we saw, he didnt start. I am glad Pizzi was removed, and i hope it is the last time we see him in a starting role.

I was very impressed with Joao Mario, albeit in a brief period of time. His inconsistencies trouble me and make me wary of giving him a starting spot (tho this can be said for many of the PT midfielders). If Mario can play the way he did, at a consistent level, by all means.. i have no issue having him start over Renato.. i feel both are aggresive, good on the ball, technically sound and have pace.

Though the game means nothing aside from pride, i will be curious how we line up v Poland, being infront of the home crowd, with spots in the line up up for grabs, i expect to see an inspired portuguese team play.. and likely will see J.Mario and possibly Sanches both start..

-----------Sanches------------J.Mario
    --------------------William/Danilo

.. i cant recall if Neves is going to miss this game due to yellow, i know a few of our guys can not play. Even so, i dont expect Neves to start this game.. especially if the Wolves have anything to say about it.

7. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Excuse my ignorance, hypothetically speaking if we win the Nations League, and we are awarded qualification to the Euro, then how does our Euro qualification group work out for the other teams?

8. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    From what I read, we would still be in the qualifying group but our position becomes irrelevant. If we finished the group in first, the second place team would top the group.

RedBullSeven repped this.
  9. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    If we win the Nations League finals, and granted direct qualification into Euro 2020, while we will still be playing the qualifying games, knowing that we have qualified could either go very positively, or very poorly.

This gives us a chance to test things out, while not being punished.. knowing that altho 'a friendly' for us.. it wont be for the opposing team, so our experiments both tactically and personal wise will be tested against competition giving it their all..

negatively in the sense we do not try ANYTHING new.. dont take the games all that serious and just go through the motions entering the tournament on a low..

10. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    No one from what i have read is saying F.Santos should be fired. I think what someone of us are saying.. myself included.. is we need to rid ourselves of this small nation mentality. It goes way beyond soccer.. but as a culture and people.. we as Portuguese do not consider ourselves equal among other European nations.. and it shows when going against what we consider the giants of the game..

im sorry, but i do not quite understand what your issue is with what some of us are saying.. no one is saying to fire Santos, and no one is saying it is illegal to play defensive soccer.. but if your going to do it.. do it confidently (unlike what they did v Italy) and do not be fearful of the opponent. This does not suggest we need to play Joga Bonito of the golden generation which failed to win us anything.. it is to provide our nation with the mindset that we are just as good as any one else in the world.

Ramos77 repped this.
  11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2581785.html

BatatasFritas repped this.
  12. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #337 Sumol, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    I think we need to lose this tournament. We are playing with fire. Although automatic qualification this early is mind easing, i can't see it helping us at all in terms of the grand scheme of things. We will be too lax for an entire year. Each game will be inconsequential. Santos would probably give his starters too much time off and the squad would be a revolving door in which case our teams chemistry will be a catastrophe when the euro comes along.

I'd rather qualify the traditional way and be in ideal shape for the euro, rather than qualify way too early and risk losing all form by the time the euro hits us.

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    That is definitely the problem arising..

between Switzerland, England and Netherlands/France.. this is a tournament Portugal should consider themselves a favorite to win.

I do question if a years worth of meaningless games can be beneficial to the team at all.. all depends on how F.Santos uses the line ups.

14. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    England looking good and young and fast players competition for every position

15. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Personally I’d rather qualify through the nations league. Santos is a clever man and wouldn’t chop and change the squad constantly during the qualifiers. Winning this competition also installs a winning mentality in the team. It’s obviously not the same as winning the euros or the World Cup, but to win a second trophy in 3 years could have a hugely positive impact

16. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yeah, i agree with this too.. 100%... my hope is that regardless if they are already qualified, that they will play the games with heart and intensity, and try to prevent other teams from making it into the Euro's.. while attempting to top a group that for them may be meaningless.

Zacarías and AlexJones19 repped this.
  17. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    As verde-rubro shared above, nobody qualifies for Euro 2020 directly from the Nations League, not even by winning the final tournament in Portugal next June. Those four teams will be the top four seeds in the qualifying draw (Dec. 2) and be in the smaller, five-team qualifying groups since they'll be playing each other in the Nations League finals in June.

Everyone has to participate in Euro 2020 qualifying. The top two teams from each of the 10 groups qualify, so that's 20 of the 24 spots. The final four places will be determined by four four-team playoff tournaments featuring the top Nations League finishers that failed to qualify for Euro 2020 from their qualifying groups.

As far as Portugal is concerned, winning its Nations League group ensures that it will have the opportunity to qualify for Euro 2020 via the playoffs if it fails to do so from group play.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  18. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Btw, after 3 games we are the only undefeated side in the A Groups, a win or a draw tomorrow makes that for the qualifing as a whole for the A Groups.

Germany 1 Holland 0 after 15 mins...

19. FigoIsGod

FigoIsGod Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    My 23 man squad...

Rui Patricio
    Anthony Lopes
    Beto

Pepe
    Jose Fonte
    Ruben Dias
    Luis Neto

Joao Cancelo
    Nelson Semedo

Mario Rui
    Raphael Guerreiro

William Carvalho
    Ruben Neves
    Danilo Pereira
    Renato Sanches
    Joao Mario
    Bruno Fernandes/Pizzi

Bernardo Silva
    Rony Lopes
    Bruma
    Goncalo Guedes/Gelson Martins/Rafa Silva

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Andre Silva

--

Tough to decide between Bruno and Pizzi. Pizzi is more of an FS favourite but Bruno offers more overall(although he sucked at the WC). Guedes probably offers more than Gelson and Rafa, as well.

Don't see places for Cedric, Eder, Quaresma, Moutinho, Bruno Alves, etc. Other midfielders like Andre Gomes, Adrien Silva, etc. haven't impressed. Maybe Ricardo Pereira or Kevin Rodrigues win a full-back spot.

20. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Difficult to choose, but I would take Adrien, always performed well for Portugal. Bruno over Pizzi, between Lopes, Bruma, Guedes, Martins, Rafa...not much in it, probably would go Down to tactics and form at the time.

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    At this point Portugal has too much talent and depth to give a spot to Adrien Silva. I've always liked him and he was valuable at Euro 2016, but he hasn't even made the bench for Leicester City in two months. He also looked well out of his depth - due to age, fitness, whatever - at the World Cup. He's a one-trick pony and there are others who can offer what he does at a higher level and/or while also offering other positives.

I'd rather have Moutinho, who has been excellent for Wolves, though he has plateaued a bit there. He makes a difference in the right formation and with the right MF partner(s). I really hope Neves gets his feet under him with Portugal. He has been disappointing for the most part and gave Italy two of its best chances the other day. I've seen him make more mistakes in these three Nations League matches than in a dozen Wolves matches.

22. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes, Adrien not playing is maybe the key for him not being chosen (do not watch the PL except for the odd game and was thinking he was getting some games), he might be a one trick pony but the trick Works well in tournament games (hard work rate and defensive cover) and this is done consistently.

Only watched a bit of Wolves but Neves has underperformed for Portugal, not worried about that at this stage, Moutinho is Moutinho, a 5-7 out of 10 match by match player, still viable for the Euro 2020 if need be. Look at Fonte, one of the better players versus Italy in a duo with Dias, I was expecting big problems with Fonte-Dias and the partnership was ok in that game. I even think Quaresma is still an option, I would seriously consider him for the final four next June.

23. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Sorry about the misinformation. I kept reading this crap on other threads and it is obviously wrong. I'm glad it got cleared up.

24. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Wow Dutch come back from 2 goals down to tie Germany and advance to Final 4. France knocked out.

Lots of surprises last couple of days. This dutch team looks like the real deal though.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  25. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Wow, I kept checking the score and figured it was decided when I last checked in the 83rd minute

It's funny that these first finals include Portugal and three teams we're always confident about beating. The draw is Dec. 3, which is the day after the Euro 2020 qualifying draw.