UEFA in danger of losing World Cup slots?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by zahzah, Jun 22, 2014.

1. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus

It's just that idiots really do unite. I have stated in this forum thread at least 10 times clues that I know how to differentiate 2 continents (unlike your average American from Phoenix,Arizona who will most likely tell u that Austria's mascot animal is a Kangaroo),its just that you didnt bother checking it,and jumped to an idiotic conclusion. Laughing at my economical issues is good. It makes you forget that the Brazilians killed homeless people before the World Cup 2014 even began. But wait, are you serious ? Nah! Fifa would never do that, its a honest and humane corporation, I mean, we don't care, it was just children!
    The only thing we care is that Fifa gave 13 spots to europe, and the Greek NT came to Brazil! Thats why Fifa is Corrupt and is favoring uefa.
    Fifa 2022 WC to be held in Qatar? LOL, I heard the betting systems will add an option of "which player will fatigue first due to heat". But do we care? No, not really, as long as the WC is not held in Europe(so the worthless 2nd tier teams like Greece dont have many chance of making it there)and its not favoring pathetic European teams, we are all happy with FIFA! : Me + Fifa = L.F.E. <3

By the way, Ibarbo has got 99 Pace at Fifa 15. Thats really a reason for all of us to be upset with fifa and call it corrupt,but thats none of my business.

Anyways, they are bout to shut down my Internet coz I havent payed for it,so I hope we talk again, Americano.

2. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    When you lose an argument, start acting bitchy. It's a common strategy they ll use when they got nothing else to do.

3. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I shouldn't enter this bee nest of an argument, but stuff like this pisses me off. Are you referring to the incident several *decades* ago when street children were killed by a para-military group in Brazil? Very regretful of course, but sh!t happens all over the world and Brazil doesn't have the monopoly on cruelty, and that includes Europe. Take a good look into History and see for example what the French did to some Algerians in Paris, and your Greece itself has been involved in huge killings of and by Turks, for example. Violence and cruelty are *human* traits, not just Brazilian traits... As for people being displaced to give space to public works related to competitions like the World Cup and the Olympics, again, it happens everywhere that public domain is invoked for these things; probably happened in Brazil as well, sure, but again, no monopoly of this for Brazil - much worse is what is happening to foreign construction workers in Qatar.

So, yes, protest all you want against these atrocities, but don't pretend Brazil is any different from any other place in this regard.

Narc83 repped this.
  4. Bengoechea

Bengoechea Member

Jul 28, 2005
    São Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #2904 Bengoechea, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

Nobody killed homeless people before World Cup 2014 in Brazil, i live here. It never happened, it is just as idiotic as you refering to the North Americans phrase that kangaroos is the animal of Austria.

Instead of saying shit you should do some research Im an European living in Brazil, and i kow there is idiotic people everywhere, but your statetement is as dumb as the thing you are complaining.

However i do agree with you regarding the teams of Europe and the rest of the World. Greece has more to show in the international tournament than the kinds of Jordan, Kuwait, Uzbekistan, Canada, Panama, Honduras, Peru, Oman, New Zealand would bring.

In my opinion, Conmebol should have a direct 5th spot.

While Africa plays a play-off against the winner of Concacaf x OFC.

As they have a very good range of squads that miss the World Cup, like Morocco, Egypt, Senegal, Tunisia

Narc83 and Pipiolo repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The poor/homeless beggars that roamed the famous streets of Rio do suddenly seem to be "missing". Surely you can't deny there has been a rapid change on that front the past few years.(?)

6. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    You're probably very unfamiliar with the huge strides the Brazilian population has made in the last decade in terms of fending off abject poverty and the growth in the ranks of the middle class. The country's economy is far from perfect, and is already falling apart again, but the disappearance of beggars has a lot more to do with the social programs that were implemented than with some far-fetched conspiracy theory that they were all somehow mass-murdered as you seem to believe, LOL.

paulalanr repped this.
  7. Jiripoca

Jiripoca Member

Jul 16, 2013
    London - Sao Paulo - Peruibe
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All of this is laughable and non-Euros can see it a mile off! IT IS A TACTIC OF CHANGING THE SUBJECT IN THE HOPE THAT THE REAL ISSUE GOES AWAY!

So talk about the strength of various countries, and talk about the alleged killing of poor people but it will not change the fact that the World Cup in its current format is racist and bigoted against Asia and Africa, and FIFA have a policy of KICK RACISM OUT OF FOOTBALL.

It is time the WC moved into the 21st century, loading the competition with Euro teams to give them more goes at winning it is not acceptable anymore. We MUST reduce the Euro spots and increase Africa and Asia, at least 3 spots more to these continents and 6 less for Europe.

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    and we surely must reduce the spots for countries that embarrass themselves in WC semi finals. It is our duty to protect them.

9. bestvaluestore

Sep 21, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    There are people who decide that not us.Guess we cannot do much about it.

10. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In all fairness, Europe should not have less than 12 spots in a 32-team World Cup. Africa and Asia can each get 6 spots if Conmebol gets 5 and Concacaf gets 3. A better distribution may be Africa and Asia getting 5 each and fighting for one via playoff, and Conmebol and Concafac fighting for the other remaining spot.

11. paulalanr

paulalanr Member

Nov 5, 2013
    New Orleans, LA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, thank you. It's amazing to me that people still think of Brazil as a backwards semi-developed country. Hell, their internet and cell phone network is better than the USA.

They've got some serious issues with economic inequality (and probable underlying corruption), but at least they're making progress in that regard, unlike so many other countries . . . .

Brasitusa repped this.
  12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    LOL @ the corruption of Brazilian society (murders in the past) and Brazilian football argument. Call me a cynical person but let's look at the final four Champions League teams:

Juventus: unparalleled bribery, fixing, doping (and with that I mean the manipulation of tests and destroying of samples; the Rome lab became closed by the police as a result) inside Italy. No question that during the past 25 years no other Italian club team have matched the controversy of this club.

Barcelona: Laporta was a relatively decent and fine man, but the same can't be said about Nunez (since 1979), Gaspart and Rosell really. Including beat-em-up-gangs (violence) and shady dealings with Qatar ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...Cup-finals-new-research-shows-money-went.html ). Nunez had his own gangs for business dealings.

Real Madrid: receives cheap loans (negative real interest rates) and cheap land from authorities, and sells land to the same authorities for overpriced sums. Everyone knows about the close ties to the monarchy, Partido Popular and how that has been an access to (taxpayer) funds.

Bayern Munich: secret kickback payments (Kirch in 2003), received the stadium land for a symbolic 1 euro thanks to close ties with the ruling party of Bavaria (also previous stadium for a bargain). Led by complete pieces of sh*t and frauds like Hoeness and Rummenigge, with their deriding remarks for PSG, Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, Manchester City. Deliberately hid the Jewish past of the club for many, many decades. And if we talk about grave societal flaws to consider: let me mention the fact that pre war more than 50000 Jews lived in Bavaria and less than a few hundredth survived, which makes the peaceful life that many close relatives of war criminals as well as the criminals themselves lived inside this federal state bizarre (matches with the decades long pleas for a general amnesty by the ruling party).

One hasn't to agree with all of the controversial but factually true comments above, but none of those clubs above (final four) have a reputation similar to, say, Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, AS Roma etc. Even if you want to look closely.

For me a nonsensical argument against Brazil (or others). The current European football dynasty is little better.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Gents, what does any of that (or the posts which preceded it) have anything to do with the allocation of World Cup places?

celtic67, paulalanr and EvanJ repped this.
  14. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Decide a standard for determining what teams should be there...don't just pull numbers out of your ass...

15. jagum

jagum Member

CF Montreal
    Venezuela
    Jun 20, 2007
    Panama City, Panama
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Venezuela
    To be fair , the name is World Cup, and all of the nations should be represented , similar to the distribution of places in the football of the Olympic Games.

Uefa : 7
    Caf : 6
    Afc : 6
    Concacaf : 5
    Conmebol : 5
    Ofc : 1

Play-offs

Uefa vs Caf / Conmebol vs Afc

Obviously I do not agree with this distributions of spots, dropping the level of the world cup , many good teams would not be present, but at the end the best teams of Conmebol or Uefa will reach the final game.......

16. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If that is the case, give OFC 4 spots and take another one off each of the others. Then we can have some of the small pacific island countries participating..instead of them only being able to get 1 spot. According to you it's not about overall quality but just that the 2-3 best teams from each area goes through. Hypocrite.

M repped this.
  17. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i still think the best scenario is more play offs

18. GreekAttackSux

Jun 23, 2014
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus

We saw Uruguay vs Jordan this year and Mexico vs New Zealand. And it was just teams that made it to the final 16, nothing "special" as you coupd prescribe teams that had high hopes of winning the damn thing.

Play offs vs OFC and AFC have no point in existing. They just exist to give wrong hopes at players of non-football-nations, that there is a chance they, as the ultimate underdog, can proceed to a world cup.The worst european team of world cup 2014(Greece when it comes to roster/England when it comes on how well they did in the 2014 WC) can beat both teams, New Zealand and jordan. Even teams that in fact did not manage to go to the WC, like Turkey, Romania, Sweden,Serbia. There is no doubt, these teams are much better. Their players play in more competitive leagues, against better opponents, and with more concentration on aiming higher and higher. Instead of sending 13 teams, make it 12 and 2 play offs, and next time you will be whining about how 14 european teams ended up in the WC, only 2 less than 50% of the teams.

You can now come under this comment and post things about "You dont know that" "Your pityful Greek/English/Turkish/Romanian/Swedish/Serbian(?correct?) team sucks, they would lose from Jordan 10-0" and Ill tell you that I agree with you. We dont know for sure. Statistically (its not the best comparison,90 minutes cant prove weather a team is the best or not) speaking, for ex. Greece, we re talking about a team that qualified from a group with the Asian Champions and the African Champions. So yeah, since no proof exists, we ll only have to go with that. To sum up: since a 2nd/currently 3rd tier european team handled an asian top team, asian 3rd tier teams like Jordan are by far the underdogs in such a clash.

Another good way to understand a confederation's true power is by checking the Fifa Rankings.(MARCH 2015 is what i saw, i guess not much has changed http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/rank=248/index.html )
    Lets take as an example the 32 first teams , since a WC is made with 32 teams.
    Out of the first 32 teams: 19 are European. 6 from south America, 3 from North America and 4 from Africa. None from Asia.

You can here as well answer me "but the Europeans have more matches in between them, coz they all fight each other(from pot 6 to pot 1) for Euros and Mundials qualifications, so its reasonable that the rankings were that way past October". True, in General, European nations do have more matches inbetween. But we re talking about 1-2 months after the Asian Tournament and the African Tournament finished, hwich means more important matches between stronger nations of the confederations- which should mean more ranking climbs at least for the teams that did well. I would never ask for 19 europeans in a tournament meant for the whole world(even 24 europeans in euro sounds too much for me right now). South American qualification seems to be pretty balanced. In top 32 there are 6 South american teams,while 5 qualify for the WC. North American is totally Balanced as well, seeing that their 4th team Honduras was disasterous. If you really believe that any North American team(like jamaica, which has been said numerous times in this Thread) could do better than some Europeans(Like Greece(And yeah, dont ask why i have an obsession with Greece, I ve taken it personal- being called the worst european team that people believe is somewhere it does not deserve) then that team should definately have been in front of the Honduras, but with IF and BUT(T)S, things dont happen, do they? Still though, since our teams are not so good, we can blame Europe for actually putting money on the sport, Amirite? Corrupt FIFA gyuz, its for the lols.

Now, when it comes to Africa. 4 Nations in the top 32, while 5 qualified for the world cup, seems pretty balanced to me, but you have all the rights to say that the African Continent deserves one more.

OFC - just no
    AFC - a total of zero teams in the top 32, in fact i did a search, first team is Iran at 42, 2nd comming up Japan 53, while Australia is at 60+. And yet, 4 teams from that confederation procede to join the other 28 at the final tournament.

It all comes to an end that we gotta blame the asians, those ching chang chongs are ruining football. I strongly believe now in the end, that Fifa is Corrupt, and i can no longer watch football, as I believe that my nation is being underrated, while they are secretly helping the asian Nations. (for everyone not understanding my argument, and not having a basic level of intelligence or internet knowledge, this last paragraph was in fact, sarcasm)

I just gave u 2 statements, showing u that In this decade, no matter what Europeans got the footballing world centered in Europe. Noone can disagree that Statistics and not love for football of a nation/confederation matters in the making of the World cup spots. So, based on just statistics, I just showed you how not only does Europe Deserve their spots, but how the confederations you are strongly defending and believeing they are underrated from Fifa(Africa and Asia) have literally no point in begging for another spot.

This goes mostly to the Thread owner.

Pietro Calcio repped this.
  19. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    excellent points in your argument

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You contradict your own arguments, claiming that most of the best football nowadays is centered in European leagues (true), but many nations from Africa that did not qualify to the WC have far more players in these leagues than Greece, Romania, Sweden, Turkey, etc.

21. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's the only reasonable comment you made in your whole post, but if you have both of those playoffs to be against Conmebol and Concacaf (maybe even OFC, as this last time it was Concacaf whom left them behind, not UEFA), you probably would see the same luck as of New Zeland and Jordan for last WC, as both lost at this phase, against two teams that afterwards at the WC, simply passed over almost all european opposition they faced at group phase (all : England, Italy and Croatia, lost against the victorious teams from the interconfed playoffs).

As for what happened for the WC before (2010), to those who won the interconfed playoff, New Zeland went undefeated at group phase, facing 2 top european teams (one was the former 2006 WC champion, for facts), while Uruguay went all the way to reach quarters.

Fact is, that for the last 2 WC's, european teams (with the exception of one of those who finished among the top 3 of the whole world), all european teams haven't managed to do anything against the teams coming from the interconfed playoffs.

22. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    All he said didnt change the fact that I still think the best scenario would be more play offs
    the main argument against conmebol is that proportionally we send too many teams (despite unlike the other confederations we dont send weak teams, or at least not as weak as other federations; we dont have last placed teams in group stages) so we could have 4 direct spots or even 3 and the other 4 can be play offs. That would actually increase the chances in other federations,

I say bring more play offs because It would help sending the best 32 teams while giving everybody a chance.
    Conmebol's last placed team last world cup wasn't dead last in his group, while the other federations did have last placed teams. Obviously Conmebol cant ask to send 7 out of 10 teams to the world cup directly, proportionally is not fair. But we can create a case for 3 direct + 4 play offs

Rickdog repped this.
  23. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While Im in favour of more play-offs .... when to play them? The calendar is already full. And where? you cant expet Bosnia to travel all the way to NZ or whereever in the middle of a season.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, but lets be honest... Mexico being a playoff team was an exception. That won't happen again for another 20+ years. Normally it would have been someone like Honduras (who got battered by 2 UEFA teams).
    Also your analysis is a bit incomplete because you are looking at UEFA results against playoff winners. What about the losers like Jordan and Bahrain? CONMEBOL's playoff team will be tough to beat for anyone, but the ones from the other 3 regions should be taken care off fairly comfortably over 180 minutes.

25. elviejomen

elviejomen Member+

Aug 3, 2007
    Hasbrouck Heights NJ
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    right, there will have to be some arrangements Im too lazy right now to look into those :p