UEFA Europa League - November 23rd, 2017 - Matchday 5 - FC Köln (Cologne) vs. The Arsenal (R)

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by BIGHMW, Nov 22, 2017.

1. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude I don't collect shorts or socks for that matter, strictly the tops. :)

I still can't believe my f***ing eyes, when I saw that we gave these jackasses this match that they didn't deserve to win, I almost puked (fortunately I haven't had my big feast yet), we gave away three points to a dead-last Bundesliga side and now they will probably play inspired football not only for the rest of the EL group stage but now the Bundesliga and the DfB-Pokal as well.

Obviously SOMEBODY lit a fire underneath Cologne's asses tonight, because while they looked like the typical tale of two different halves, they certainly came out of the tunnel in the second half clicking on all cylinders, we never put the hammer down, we didn't close it out, we lost as a result of it, and now it's just "wait and see" who is next to post the next thread, so my record so far this season is now 1-0-1, not bad that we beat the Scums, but this, WAS supposed to have been an easy three points (or at least one) for the Gunners.

Bottom Line:

Arsenal sat back in that second half, and it cost us.

2. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    Top of the table playing a B team and we drop one match away playing two DMs, Jack, guys back from injury and a bunch of kids. What, me worry?

BIGHMW repped this.
  3. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're right, considering that most of our big guns (Ozil, Alexis, Lacazette, Ramsey, etc.) were not even on the trip but still, a loss is a loss, and that stings, whether you're playing your "B" squad or your best XI out there.

Now, we're away to Burnley on Sunday at Turf Moore, who's next to put up the next thread??? I'll guaran-damn-tee you that it will be a much different result come Matchday, they won't switch off this time around, we learned our lesson, let's show the world that we can bounce back!!!

4. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I don't agree.

My first reaction to Chambers at wingback was the same as yours but the more I thought about it the more it seemed to make sense. Depth at wingback is a serious problem, which is why AMN has been playing wingback in these games and is almost certainly why Chambers lined up at wingback yesterday. If Bellerin goes down Arsene needs to know what his options are. Blame Wenger for not buying natural backups at wingback, but don't blame him for evaluating his options in cup games. Playing Nelson there also has the added benefit of developing the defensive side of his game.

I too would like to see AMN in the midfield, but young players don't necessarily have actual positions. Bellerin was originally a wing player, who was converted to fullback and is now a wing back. Maybe we will see AMN in the midfield for the final group stage game, before a friendly crowd.

Re Wilshere and Iwobi, maybe if you drop one of Coq or Elneny, Wilshere who was the "10" yesterday can drop into the midfield and Iwobi can play the 10, but the plan appeared to be to play Welbeck for a half to work on his game fitness and to bring Iwobi on at halftime.

Finally, Wilshere frustrated me yesterday. On severl occasions, It looked like he was trying to recreate his goal against Norwich, but Giroud never had the space he needed to make the return pass.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta be somebody out there willing to step up!

BIGHMW repped this.
  6. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seriously??

7. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Does northbank have me on block?

8. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope! All blocks are off now. :)

I was relying too much on BigSoccer's alert mechanism "a new thread has been created..."

Which for some reason didn't work this time for your thread. My bad. Obviously I shoulda looked in the Arsenal forum manually. Or should that be optically?

Onward!!