UEFA Euro Qualifiers - The Road to England 2021

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by Bauser, Jul 29, 2019.

1. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I'm not sure if the question was answered clearly enough, but I believe that when comparing two teams in the same group, the results against the sixth-place team still count. (If they don't, that could potentially shake up the entire group table.) The results against the sixth-place team are only dropped when comparing across different groups. So Denmark's 8-0 over Malta would count in a potential tie between Denmark and Italy.

sbahnhof, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  2. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thank you. In fact that was my main worry.

On the other hand, I assume Malta should actually be the worse team in the group (although an argument could be made for Georgia, given their worse FIFA ranking), so probably it could be possible for Italy to post a similar score against them, especially considering that they will play them in October and November, when 2019-2020 season will be fully underway in Italy too.

Anyway, I guess next Tuesday's matches, with Georgia-Italy and Israel-Denmark being scheduled, should say something more about how Italy and Denmark currently compare to each other in this group. :coffee:

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Precisely. (however H2H rule comes first)
    Sorry @blissett I misunderstood your query.

If two or more teams in the same group are equal on points on completion of the qualifying group stage, the following criteria are applied, in the order given, to determine their rankings:
    a. higher number of points obtained in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    b. superior goal difference from the group matches played among the teams in question;
    c. higher number of goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    d. higher number of away goals scored in the group matches played among the teams in question;
    e. if, after having applied criteria a) to d), teams still have an equal ranking, criteria a) to d) are reapplied exclusively to the group matches between the remaining teams to determine their final rankings. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria f) to l) apply in the order given to the two or more teams still equal;
    f. superior goal difference in all group matches;
    g. higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
    h. higher number of away goals scored in all group matches;
    i. higher number of wins in all group matches;
    j. higher number of away wins in all group matches;
    k. lower disciplinary points total based only on yellow and red cards received in all group matches (red card = 3 points, yellow card = 1 point, expulsion for two yellow cards in one match = 3 points);
    l. higher position in the UEFA women's national team coefficient rankings for the qualifying group stage draw (see Annex B.1.2 a.).

sbahnhof, 59Amerinorsk and blissett repped this.
  4. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Summary of tonight's action on the first day of the qualifiers:

GROUP B:
    Israel 2 - 3 Italy

Goor 32, Awad 90+1 - Girelli 45+2, Bartoli 64, Giacinti 71

Denmark 8 - 0 Malta
    S.Troelsgaard 5, 45+2, Harder 19, Sevecke 28, Larsen 58, 90+2, Gejl 75, N.Sørensen 86

GROUP C:
    Faroe Islands 0 - 6 Wales

Harding 4, 58(p), 79, Jones 6, Arge 67(og), Roberts 90+3
    K.Green penalty miss for Wales 31

GROUP F:
    Iceland 4 - 1 Hungary

Jensen 10, 90+2, Eiriksdottir 59, Brynjarsdottir 65 - Csiszar 42

GROUP H:
    Lithuania 1 - 2 Croatia

Gaileviciute 86 - Dujmenovic 37, Sundov 48

5. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    #30 Páll Guðmundsson, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Iceland - Hungary 4-1 (Laugardalsvöllur, Reykjavík)
    Iceland started well with a goal from my next door neighbour Elín Metta Jensen (we are so few on this island) but then became a little bit complacent and Hungary managed to sneak in a goal. After some hard talk from the Icelandic coach during half time in the dressing room "our girls" came out more determent in the second half and scored three more goals. One from nineteen year old Hlín Eiríksdóttir, her third goal for Iceland, one from Dagný Brynjarsdóttir, and finally to finish off her brace, one from Elín Jensen. A good three points but a little bit of a disappointment as many in Iceland feel that this team is capable of doing much better (hope my neighbour doesn't read this). We'll see what happens against Slovakia. You should be able to see the goals in this link. https://www.visir.is/g/2019190828615/sjadu-hvernig-stelpurnar-okkar-afgreiddu-ungverja

sbahnhof, JanBalk, blissett and 3 others repped this.
  6. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Lovely anecdote! :D

I remember her (probably because she isn't a "dottir" :)). She had a key role in Iceland's shock away win in Germany in the previous World Cup qualifiers.

7. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    Yes, she scored one goal and provided Dagný Brynjarsdóttir with two assists.

blissett and 59Amerinorsk repped this.
  8. 59Amerinorsk

59Amerinorsk Member

Chicago Red Stars
    Norway
    Mar 31, 2017
    :eek:o_O:thumbsup::confused: LOL, I have to re-read this again! thanks!

blissett repped this.
  9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Another matchday of blow-out wins. Summary of tonight's action:

GROUP A
    Estonia 0 - 7 Netherlands

Miedema 27, 69, Roord 31, Spitse 40, 51, Bloodworth 81, E.Jansen 85

Kosovo 2 - 0 Turkey
    Uka 33, Syla 39

Slovenia 0 - 1 Russia
    Chernomyrdina 25

GROUP B
    Bosnia Herzegovina 7 - 1 Georgia

Spasojevic 5, Hasanbegovic 10, Nikolic 13, 51(p), Hadzic 23, Aleksic 43(p), Krajsumovic 80 - Cheminava 90

GROUP C
    Northern Ireland 0 - 6 Norway

Reiten 5, C.Hansen 16, 63, 72, Eikeland 82, 90

GROUP D
    Moldova 0 - 7 Czech Republic

Svitkova 28(p), 38, Bertholdova 41, Martinkova 49, Cahynova 53, Staskova 73, Vonkova 85

GROUP E
    Scotland 8 - 0 Cyprus

Emslie 11, Little 20, 40, 61, 83, 88, J.Ross 52, Weir 90+1

10. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK

11. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

12. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Only one match today, which just finished. :oops:

GROUP I
    Germany 10 - 0 Montenegro

Huth 3, Popp 8, 24, 38, Bühl 34, 59, Doorsoun 52, Knaak 54, Schüller 84, Dallmann 88

59Amerinorsk, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  13. Páll Guðmundsson

Valur FC
    Iceland
    Sep 14, 2018
    Reykjavík
    Nat'l Team:
    Iceland
    https://www.visir.is/k/cac64b0c-9586-472e-a6cf-bc7fa268397f-1567113070430
    Here is the whole game, not sure if you can watch this outside of Iceland. The sportscaster is Guðmundur Benediktsson, the same who went completely crazy after the win against England. To refresh your memory:

59Amerinorsk, Lechus7 and blissett repped this.
  14. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw

59Amerinorsk and Páll Guðmundsson repped this.
  15. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I didn't realize it the other day, but: Kosovo over Turkey is quite the surprising result!

Páll Guðmundsson and blissett repped this.
  16. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was going to write the same, although I am not sure how much women's football is developed in Turkey, despite the decent level of their men's counterpart.

On the other hand, Kosovo represents a nation that's not even recognized by some other states.

17. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yeah, that was more a statement on a women's team in their debut tournament than the strength of the more establish team. To be fair, Turkey's FIFA ranking is "only" 62, which is around VEN, TRI, JOR, CTI, etc. Not great, but probably strong enough that they shouldn't lose to true minnows. That said, Kosovo has beaten N.Ireland and Bulgaria in the past year, so I guess despite their newness, they simply shouldn't be considered true minnows.

59Amerinorsk, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  18. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
  19. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Too many drubbings imo. Maybe UEFA should go back to eliminating some teams in pre-qualifiers? Or maybe the lower-ranked teams should play in a second tier of qualifying, which is only eligible for playoff spots at the end or something. Realistically, these teams aren't going to challenge for direct qualifying spots or even playoff spots in the main qualifying groups, anyway, so it doesn't make much of a difference. Based on these results so far, it doesn't seem like UEFA has more than maybe 30 teams capable of playing at even a Tier 3/4 level.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    To be entirely fair, almost every drubbing we've seen so far has been a Pot 1 team or Pot 2 team against a Pot 5 team. So it's not like these matches are expected to be close. You're right that it doesn't make much of a difference in the playoff picture, but these teams generally like the opportunity to play bigger-name UEFA teams, and the general spirit of Euro-inclusivness is there too. They also provide valuable point opportunities for the mid-table teams. Splitting the competition in two would really throw UEFA's coefficient system out-of-whack (or, rather, way more out-of-whack than it already is).

I'm not sure what you mean by your final statement either... What are your definitions for tiers?

21. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Only one match today.

GROUP G
    Kazakhstan 0 - 3 Serbia

Mijatovic 58, Poljak 81, Matic 84

59Amerinorsk repped this.
  22. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    #47 JanBalk, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    Actually apart from Northen Ireland the dubbings was pretty much expected and the teams that got beaten among the UEAFs bottom 13 (out of 51) hard to tell why you think about 8 more isn't up to snuff. FIFA ranking start to raise rather fast after those 13 and after 4 more they are on a fairly respectable level. It also is there UEFA no longer can match the rest of FIFA team-for team in the ranking, up until spot 68 take any even numbered spot and half or more of the team with that or better ranking is UEFA (and it have been pretty simillar in each new ranking for the last six years at last).

Pretty sure UEFA will not change anything, the right to play and try to make a decent result against a much better team is much cherished among UEFAs minnows (even if the fail and get crushed most of the time).

59Amerinorsk, sbahnhof and blissett repped this.
  23. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    It all hinges on the exact definition of the word "struggle", which is:

STRUDEL /ˈstruːd(ə)l,ˈʃtruːd(ə)l/ noun
    1. a dessert of thin pastry rolled up round a fruit filling and baked.
      "apple strudel"

And now, football.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] A close game, and Croatia started their campaign with 3pts - their first competitive win since 2015 against Turkey. Croatia's WWC qualifier highlight was an away draw in Denmark. For Lithuania, seeded 44th, this is a promising result, after they mainly played Estonia and Latvia in recent years.

(The game in Šiauliai was also livestreamed.)

59Amerinorsk, Bauser and Lechus7 repped this.
  24. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.
  25. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    blissett repped this.