UEFA Euro 2012 pre-tournament discussion

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by ASU55RR, Apr 29, 2012.

1. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    just back to a computer, hoping to read some good news....argh. get a goal, fellas!

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Good news, well we played better the first 10 and last 5 minutes of the half... that's about it.

Our CBs are too weak to leave exposed on the counterattack like we do. Same problem we had with Hungary, but against a much better team.

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    PILAR!!!!!!!!!! GOAL!

4. FC Trout

FC Trout Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Helena, Montana
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    there's the goal!

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That really sucked, but honestly, there's no reason we can't beat Greece and Poland.

Still our tactics are garbage, there's no midfield support for the defense at all.

6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Bilek needs to keep Hubschman on the field. Rezek isn't good enough and Kadlec played awful. No reason why we shouldn't be ale to beat Poland and Greece though.

The tactics were just so bad.

ASU55RR repped this.
  7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Pretty much agree with all that, and Kadlec... that was just a WTF match from him...

8. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
  9. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I have never seen a coach with less talent than the opposing team ever try to blitz the opponent with attack. Clearly it doesn't work. We need more players coming back to help the defense.

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Seems to be a fair bit of speculation that Kadlec will move to CB next match (meaning Hubnik out - Limbersky in), and it's also possible (though less likely) that Hubschman and/or Pekhart will start.

Gebre Selassie wrote a blog addressing the racism incident during the Russia match. Summary: (edit: it has now made English language press)
    • Not an issue that he likes to discuss or answer questions about
    • Want's to be remembered as a player, not for being booed at
    • When on the field he's focused, things go in one ear and out the other.
    • On a happier note: he's been watching Game of Thrones :thumbsup:
    • Petr Čech played a concert on Sunday (Selassie missed it)... not really sure how I feel about that, I like for our players to have relaxing hobbies, but that's maybe a bit much at tournament time
    I'm glad to see him address this sad and disgusting incident, and that he is not letting it turn into a distraction.

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    More video of Czech players aspiring to be musicians.

o_O

12. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Jeez why do all our players play some instrument?

To discuss the game tomorrow, we need to beat Greece. If we lose or even tie, we are done. Greece is a team we should be beating. They looked pretty bad in the first half against Poland so we have to attack early and get a quick goal or two!

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That is true, it's 3 points or else our chances for advancement are essentially nil. I believe that we can do it though, as Greece don't appear nearly as dangerous on the counter attack as Russia. I definitely predict us to control possession in this one, but we need more purpose in the final third than we've shown recently. I think we will do it though.

14. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Per twitter

On paper that is 4 central midfielders, but I'm guessing Plašil is lining up out right, although maybe Jiráček like he did in the 2nd half against Russia.

edit: another idea that I could see working with that midfield is: Hubschman patrolling in front of the back line, a 3 man central midfield and Pilař playing behind the striker... but I don't see us getting that experimental in this match.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    WOOHOOO TOURNAMENT ON!!

Jiráček goal!!!

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Selassie to Pilař, GOAL!!!!!!!! 2-0!!!!!

FC Trout repped this.
  17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I will never understand why Hubschman didn't start in the run up to this tournament or against Russia.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well, that went about as well as I good of possibly imagined.

Some major observations:

• having Hubschman in allows our CBs to play a higher line, so we aren't giving Greece the free run in front of the back line
    • Jiráček can sing all the bad songs he wants if he keeps playing like has this tournament
    • Baroš is still really not playing well
    We backed of Greece a little more than I would like late in the half, not that I want us risking counter attack, but our main advantage is still midfield and not the back line.

Skevinrules repped this.
  19. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Hubschman needs to be starting no matter what. He isn't an amazing player but he does everything right. He helps out the defense and allows our more creative players get forward. Pilar is good but he is playing a little too flashy after that goal. He needs to calm down and do what he has been doing. Jiracek is doing very well at LW/left attacking mid.

Baros shouldn't be playing anymore. He isn't doing anything and honestly I'd rather just have Necid or Pekhart starting because they are younger and are much taller. Baros doesn't suit our system where our players are constantly interchanging and running around. He brings very little to the match.

Kadlec at CB is much better. Although we lack height there and I worry about some taller strikers. I just hope we see Pekhart or Necid in for Baros at half or a little after. We need one more goal and it's done!

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Ah jeez rosicky is off at half. Kolar on for him. Hope Tomas isn't hurt

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The 2nd half was a stark reminder of the fact that Bilek is still our manager. The Greeks blitzed us for about 20 minutes, but started to run out of steam and ideas around the 80th. Limbersky worked his ass off in the latter stages.

Čech is not having a good tournament, I know goalkeeper is position where even the best can be very up and down, but fumbling the ball could have been the difference between having a chance to advance and elimination.

That said, 2-1 is 3 points, and we control our own destiny against Poland.

22. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Nice heart attack of a game. Cech drops the ball and give Greece a goal. I know Sivok should not have been that close but Cech just let it through his hands. Glad we got the win. For me the same line-up except Pekhart for Baros against Poland.

I don't know who I want to win Poland or Russia. Russia will probably move on regardless even if they lose to Poland so I hope Russia wins then we beat Poland.

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Poland - Russia ended in a 1-1 draw. That means a draw against Poland may be enough to get through depending on the Greece - Russia result. That said, as always, I want to win.

Rosicky is going to have his achilles examined tomorrow morning, he apparently played through pain for most of the first half, and at halftime he decided play through it any more. No prognosis yet, lets hope its minor and just needs a couple of days of rest.

24. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations on your well deserved win. A question for you guys though... as a Bundesliga fan I am pretty familiar with Michal Kadlec and I rate him as a solid player, but with that said he had an absolute howler against Russia. So my question is: was that just an aberration for Kadlec or was that more a result of not having a player like Tomáš Hübschman shielding the back four? I'm just wondering because Kadlec had a solid game today, albeit as a centre half and not at left back where he got abused last game.

25. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are your thoughts on the Poland matchup? Because of the poor performance against Russia goal differential could very well come in to play. I expect you guys to at least get a draw but as it stands now if Poland does manage a draw they most likely advance, based on goal differential. This is going to be an interesting game for sure with all the implications and it being against the host nation in front of a raucous crowd no less. I'm thinking perhaps a 1-1 draw, but I hope I am wrong. To get the win Petr Čech is really going to have to play up to his abilities, he just hasn't looked like his usual superb self so far this tournament.