UEFA Champions League, Round of 16 - Tuesday, February 20th, 2018 - Chelsea FC vs FC Barcalona

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by Blueallthru, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Starting this early because of fitness news.

Alonso is back according to the boss.

Willian said they'd find out on Sunday who will be starting.

2. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Match is on FS1 in the states and probably BT Sport 1 in the UK.

3. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Bakayoko is most likely not ready for Barca...take that as you will.

4. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Gods are finally smiling on us?

352klr and Dr_Intoxicated repped this.
  5. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do you think gets the start? Drinkwater for a more defensive taste or Cesc because he's the better player?

I think Drinkwater starts with Cesc coming on around the 60 minute mark.

6. Wrath

Wrath Member+

May 4, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Agree with that. We won't have any possession against Barca anyways for Cesc to thrive.

7. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    Mind says 4-0 loss, heart says 3-0 loss.

8. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Hopefully Drinkwater over Cesc. I'm just a nobody but it drives me nuts how teams always play defensive on the road and attack at home in these ties, ignoring the benefit of the away goals rule.

9. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It drives me nuts when a quality team doesn't attack on the road all the time. It's a rectangle with two goals and 22 players whether it's in London, Barca, or St. Louis.

10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I say ******** it and go after them. This side isn't even close to as good as the Barca squad we beat over two legs in 2012.

11. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Still, not sure how we're going to get/control the ball. At all. I'm not too confident this defense can withstand the onslaught, plus Messi wants to score against us.

12. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep. I especially consider this to be true in a two legged tie where away goals are worth more. I guess the mentality is keep it tight in the first leg and finish the tie in front of your own fans but like you, I prefer to go for it.

However, I don’t think we will see Barca sit back much in this one.....

13. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Start Fab with Kante and go for it.

Cletis repped this.
  14. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Did Conte say Baka was injured or that "..I dont think he's ready.."

Blueallthru repped this.
  15. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That's what I find interesting.

16. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Not really nervous because I think we're going to lose the tie.

I would pay for 0-0 right now.

17. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    (ps I'm still nervous)

18. cokeyounut

cokeyounut Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pretty sure Bakayoko is injured and that's why he's out, but the quote is being thrown around to mean something more. Would hope he wouldn't start anyways, but I doubt Bakayoko even makes the squad (due to injury).

I'm struggling with what formation would give us the best chance. I know we've seen a lot of success in the 3-4-3, especially in the last two results after our poor run, but we will undoubtedly concede a lot more possession to Barcelona than WBA or Hull. I want to say I'd like to see a 3-5-2 so both Cesc and Drinkwater could start regardless of how poor it's looked the last few times it's been utilized. Put out Hazard and Morata so Fabregas can hit some through balls and hopefully we hit them on the break. Also wouldn't be unhappy if Ampadu is in over Drinkwater - I know that's a lot of weight on a 17 year old's shoulders, but he'd be a better fit if we are going to sit back and absorb pressure imho, especially if we man mark Messi to some extent. If we use a 3-4-3, I expect our wingers will be trying to nullify their width, and I'm worried that will leave our midfield open for the taking (again, especially if we have someone like Kante man marking Messi to some extent). Will be really interesting to see what the match looks like tactically

19. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Conte speaking to the press now.

Have plan, must stick to it. Work hard. Zzzzz.

Plan falls apart when we concede a PK in opening 10 minutes.

We lose 3-1. Tie over. Sorry.

20. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well let's hope Cahill isn't playing and we won't have to concede that PK 10 minutes in...

21. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Won't see it but I'd likely throw this out there...

Hazard---------Morata---------Willian
    Alsono---Ampadu--Kante---Zappa
    ---Rudy---Christensen---Azpi---
    --------------Courtios----------------

Or drop Rudy, move Ampadu to the backline and insert Drinkwater next to Kante.

Either way... subs would be Cesc at the 60 minute mark in he mid. Depending on score line either for RW or CM. Then at 65 I'd bring Giroud on for Morata (I believe he can play as he only featured in Group play of Europa League for Arsenal; though I could be wrong).

Last sub depends on how the games going and what we're trying to do to set up for the next leg.

22. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would be really surprised (but not unhappy) if he doesn't start. He has rapidly switched into liability mode on a par with ivanovic his last couple of seasons here. But as he has that experience and is club captain, I predict he does start. I would far rather go with Dave, Rudy and ac in the middle (and with the armband) if they are all fit and ready.

Wonder if we will risk Alonso back from injury or go with Emerson (who is in the squad). Either way, please don't go with a makeshift LB, it won't go well.

A draw would keep us alive, barely. Any kind of defeat and we may as well go youth heavy on the return, thrashing be damned.

23. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he likely starts as well. Agreed he has become a liability more so this year than last. He's just not a good fit in this system. Id try to sell him to the Evertons or West Hams of the world. Not even at a high rate. Just to get him of the field and off the books.

Terry was still the Captain last year and Cahill the second but Terry didn't play. Cahill can stay as Captain and not play. Azpi will rock the band like Cahill did last year.

24. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good luck tomo, have always enjoyed watching Chelsea go at Barca and hold their own (or better on many occasions).

I would strongly favour the 3-5-2 for this tie if I were Conte and have one of your central midfield three stick to Messi during moments when he inevitably floats between your defence and midfield lines.

Wrath, cokeyounut and Blueallthru repped this.
  25. Brock Hannsen

Brock Hannsen Member+

Feb 3, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A 0-0 result tonight would be my second favored result after a 1-0 or 2-0 win.

Throwing youth out in Barcelona to get thrashed is not a good thing to do to young players.

Ampadu won't start. Playing well against Hull and playing against Barca are two different things.

Cletis repped this.