PBP: UEFA Champions League - Quarterfinal 2nd Leg | AS Roma v FC Barcelona | 10 April 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Valverde is being described as a coward, not sure if he deserves that, but he made a big mistake last night and it appears as if his fate is sealed

inswinger and Forzabarca repped this.
  2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I was referring to 'wanting to win'. In terms of toughness, it depends a lot on the league and who you are in that league. For a team like Juventus, winning Serie A is probably alot easier than winning CL. In fact, winning Serie A is probably easier than even being the last Italian team standing in CL.

3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Last night he was a coward, just like Emery. Took Roma and the tie for granted and then choked completely.

4. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There's a difference between cowardice and foolishness.......

5. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

He's a foolish coward.

6. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    That is totally nutty..........Pique is far from the best central defender in the world....

7. zaqualung

zaqualung Member+

Jun 17, 2015
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Maybe - however, I didn't watch the game, so I don't know if there was any cowardice on display....

I'm guesssing that if Barca start Dembele in that game instead of Sergei Roberto they prob win or draw and go through..........
    I like Sergei Roberto as a utility guy, but he's no threat like Dembele..... When you pay all that dosh for a big player you need to trust him....

Forzabarca repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not that far. Much of the time he's only about 10-20 yards from the best central defender in the world.

9. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I don't know about him starting since the onus was on Roma to score. But by the 60th minute when Roma only needed one more goal he should have been subbed in. Or Paulinho. Or Denis. Or SOMEBODY! Another twenty minutes passed (81') before the first sub was finally made.

10. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Why not add in the pen for Pellegrini? Which on replay shows contact was a foot over the line.

Tactically we destroyed you in that second leg. I've never watched a barca side look so clueless.

11. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There's clear replay of the contact happening outside the box.

And you got help from the ref too, which turned out to be crucial, again. Three of the four qf ties were decided by ref mistakes, if you count the ManC 2-0 as such too. Refs have too much power nowadays.

12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #362 La Magica, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    I have seen pictures of it inside. It was a very tough call but it was a pen.

The only thing I will concede is fazio should have been given a 2nd yellow at 2-0.

As for those saying if Barca played like they did at 3-0 down they would have destroyed Roma, well football doesn't work like that. The mentality shift in that moment meant Roma now had it all to defend and Barca had to throw caution to the wind. Yous are clearly a very good team but not the super team of old at the back or in midfield. That allowed us to play the very aggressive press and leave you with no options. This would not have been so easy with the likes of xavi and inesta at their peaks.

Good luck in your domestic campaign!

13. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It wasn't as the foul didn't continue in the box.

Yeah I agree Barca mental change was the downfall of Barca, I've never seen us play so bad after going 3-0 up. Mascherano said couple years back when the same almost happened, that when you start to relax, it's very hard to get back going again.

14. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    liverpool vs roma
    bayern munich vs real madrid

15. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Let me correct your right there:

Roma vs Liverpool

Bayern Munich vs Referee/Uefa

Bada Bing repped this.
  16. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Jupp Heynckes defeated real in 2012 semi final.
    but yeah prepare for off side goals, red card,penalty

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are ref mistakes in almost if not every game and quite often they swing the game one way or another. It has been that forever and is no different today than it was before.