PBP: UEFA Champions League - Quarterfinal 2nd Leg | AS Roma v FC Barcelona | 10 April 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Apr 8, 2018.

1. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    strange argument, if RM really had a killer instinct they would dominate all comps, they dont, so something is wrong with them top to bottom

25 champions league finals
    14 teams managed the double (however Marseille got stripped of their league title)
    Barcelona managed the double all 4 times they lifted the trophy (Madrid managed 1 from 6)

Take away our doubles and your left with 21 CL finals and 10 teams winning the double, 11 did not. This season unless Bayern wins it, the winner will have failed at the double.

Its not easy to dominate on two fronts (never mind 3).

Team with most doubles in CL history
    Barcelona - 4
    Manchester United - 2
    Bayern Munich - 2

You want a stat to show how difficult it is?
    Juventus has made 6 CL finals. They won Serie A in every season they lost the final (5 finals).

When they won their only CL, they did not win Serie A.

unclesox repped this.
  2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    gossip does not equal fact

evil_allan repped this.
  3. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Ooh I'm sorry, I'm totally out of line. It is natural and obvious that Barca would collapse totally against Roma this year and last year against Juve and first leg against PSG etc.. These daft displays are perfectly normal [emoji106]

Barca has most trebles and so on so it's perfectly fine and okay to surprisingly flopp immensely over and over again, the same way. LPB can only win CL cause they give up the league. Maybe Barca only wins the league cause LPB couldn't give a rats arse about it, if they did maybe Barca wouldn't have won anything in Spain.

Why does Barca even compete in Europe? They have won most trebles, Bravo. Why do you even cheer for Barca? You saw them winning 4 trebles. Most ever won by any team. I'll stop watching until they are caught by some team. What a frickin lame and loser logic and mentality some people have.

puyol repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Doesn’t matter, EV isn’t going anywhere any time soon.

lol Twitter. That's a reliable source. :cautious:

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You realise I'm gonna highlight your posts when he's sacked ;)

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Has anyone here excused Barcelona's shitty performance last night?

all some of us are saying is that one shit result does not equal a shit season

now if Barcelona pull a Newcastle and somehow blow their league lead then yes it's a shit finish to the season

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    we are still waiting for Delafeu to show his greatness and John Stones to unleash his inner Baresi ;)

evil_allan and unclesox repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And for Gomes to turn into Patrick Vieira.

condor11 repped this.
  9. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Craperto to Dani Alves
    Pique to Puyol
    Alcacer to Villa..

Mediocrity!

10. Force Barca

Force Barca Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 23, 2017
    An undefeated season > UCL people still talk about Arsenal invincibles.

I believe in the team to make it happen.

Ernersto will never be sacked for delivering the double in his first season and possibility an undefeated season.

11. Force Barca

Force Barca Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 23, 2017
    Dani Alves is past it and got exposed by Real Madrid I think you forget how many of us wanted him gone then let alone still keeping him.

Pique is the best CB in the world and cost us next to nothing. I can't see anyone else playing for us that would be better.

I agree Alcacer isn't nearly as good as Villa but Griezmann coming in will rectify that issue.

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Aghhh Dela has failed it's true .

We still haven't seen the best of John Stones although he did have a decent spell not long ago when City were at their best as well . He's not been part of the last three defeats ..

I did get Firmino right and even Can is turning into a real player ..

I'm still waiting for Arsenal's Granit to come good although he's improving and is a fabulous passer ( just a bit reckless at times ) . He's also a fan favourite .

I still expect Villa's Jack Grealish to be a star ... check out his amazing match winning volley from last night .

13. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You are absolutely correct. It could be interpreted that way.
    But what makes Barca's case strong is that every time they've won Big Ears it was complimented with the Liga title as well.
    They're not only 5x European champions; They're 5x double winners of League/Europe.
    When a club wins both league and Europe it's tough to argue that they were not the best of that season.
    Like LPB last season, it has to be said.

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Whoops! I quit reading right there.

15. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    AS Roma

This is the worst defeat in a while from the CL

For the other there was bad luck there were circumstances

This was bad and the worst thing is that in the last 10 minutes Barca showed what they were capable

If they played like that AS Roma would have been defeated easily

unclesox repped this.
  16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Iniesta himself may not even be here next season. We'll know for certain by the end of the month.

17. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    It's weird isn't it

A league is much harder to win and in a year it really shows the better team

But CL is still the trophy you want to win more

18. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

So what? What does stats do for total and utter failures that are identical past years? What does that do for the humiliation and total disaster of EV bad Barca last night? It's little comfort!

You guys keep bringing up useless stats. Past is in the past, look ahead and learn from past mistakes not REPEAT past mistakes over and over. I'm disgusted by Bartomeu and his inept leadership, Lucho and EV blind love for shit players like Shitmes and Craperto. For non existence of a proper plan B instead of plan Pique.

I understand its hard for you to swallow but we'll see when the depth of LPB perform and Barca aging squad crumbles when Messidependencia really makes its mark.

puyol repped this.
  19. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

More prestigious, more money, simple!

20. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    unless of course your Steven Gerrard ;)

21. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Made up statement. No one has said this.

The way you go off every time Barca fail to win perhaps this is a question you should ask yourself.

22. Danko

Danko Member+

Barcelona
    Serbia
    Mar 15, 2018
    This is what pains me. I would have much rather lost to someone in the semifinals while playing our butts off and simply falling short against a better squad. I didn't think we were invincible before yesterday. The media overrated us because of being undefeated. We had plenty of draws and tight finishes, even games we were overrun in midfield which reared its ugly head in the worst way yesterday. What pisses me off yesterday was the lack of effort, lack of energy, lack of tactical adjustments.. If we played the way we played the last 10 minutes, not only would we have won the tie, we would have annihilated Roma. No offense to them. They deserve it but they are not the better team. So depressing... This is the kind of loss that makes you question everything about a team. Honestly for next season I keep Ter Stegen, Pique, Umtiti, Alba, Busquets, Rakitic, and Messi. Rest of the those guys shouldn't be starting anymore. I love the Don but Iniesta has nothing left in the tank. Even his face is showing that he doesn't enjoy playing anymore. Let him retire!

If we integrate Coutinho and Dembele really well, bring in Griezmann and another good midfielder we can compete next season. Vermaelen should probably be taking more playing time from Pique as well.

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It was in response to your suggesting that Barca's victories in the crapshoot UCL "could be interpreted as they were not the best team and only got lucky".
    It wasn't in response to last night.
    Please pull your head out and read the replies to the proper quotes before responding.

:rolleyes:

You're doing it just as much as we are.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Disagree. I rate the league and CL about the same.

The fact that CL can be won/lost in two hours makes it seem like its worth more, especially at times like this. But how much did we think or stress about CL from August to February?

25. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    In what regard: Tougher to win or wanting to win?

For me, league is tougher and more satisfying because you have to remain the most consistent. The three points you pick up on Day 1 or Day 12 or Day 23 still figures into the equation when Day 38 arrives.
    In UCL, everything that happens on Days 1 through 6 is thrown out the window come February. And the previous KO round means nothing in the next KO round.
    I've never been a "playoff" person. The league format is actually one reason why I began following futbol at a time when I was big into baseball, NFL and other American sports I was raised on.

Wanting to win? I've always been a league person myself but I understand the reasoning of those who prioritize Europe. No doubt, winning in Europe is great. I still value Barca's victories in the old Cup Winners Cup. After all, the '79 triumph was my intro to the club. But 1984/85 is more special because it was the first league title they won since I began following them.