UEFA 2018 World Cup Qualification

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Sep 5, 2016.

1. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Serie A is so weak right now that "producing spectacular things" at their (Serie A) clubs is meaningless. If they were truly above average strikers, teams in Spain, Germany, and England would be trying to buy them, which they're not.

And the reason they aren't getting any service isn't tactics, it's because Italy's midfielders are equally average.

2. Hidegkuti78

Hidegkuti78 Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Good luck in Russia

3. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Probably not. We have also beaten Sweden a fair number of times. I don't think its anything to do with that really.

4. Big balls

Big balls Member

May 22, 2006
    Sweden
    #304 Big balls, Nov 13, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    I am stunned. Sweden has consistently gotten the worst possible draws in EC/WC campaign...they really have. As far back as I can remember, we have gotten France, Italy, Germany, Holland, Spain...never a lucky break but always the best that Europe has to offer. The team has pulled off some amazing performances against the greatest teams in the world only to end up with a powerhouse in the play-off and then be left at home.

After the play-off draw and prior to the SWE-ITA game being played in Stockholm...I thought it was basically over. Not because of the Swedish team because they had yet another great group stage campaign to send home Holland. I thought they could beat any team but Italy who hasnt missed a world cup in 60 years and is on everyones shortlist to win the trophy.. I am stunned......a miracle on grass

Sweden has always been a challenge for any team and I am surprised at some Italians hoping for Sweden and fearing Greece, I suppose Italians don't know our recent qualifying history as well as Swedes know the Italian team and why should they really. I am over the moon and at the same time I feel for the Italians because your team should be at the World Cup. Considering that you haven't missed a world cup for 60 years....I assume every Italian was looking forward to the summer of 2018 to see how your team will do. A team like Italy can struggle throughout the European qualifying campaign and then end up winning the World Cup, You should have been there too :unsure:

Philip J. Fry repped this.
  5. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agree with the weak midfielders. I disagree with Serie A being weak.

6. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Grats! Sad Italy is out, but Sweden deserves it considering they were without Ibra... ala Portugal without Ronaldo in Euro 2016 but more like France without Cantona in 1998.

Some teams are better without super stars. Don't know why they keep saying Italy deserves to be out. Had a good 2012 campaign, good 2016 campaign (beat Spain) until they ran into Germany who outclassed France until that penalty in then semis of Euro 16.

7. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Loved Dahlin and Brolin 1994

8. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  9. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I'm well aware of that, just ment that every time you've missed a competion Sweden has beem involved. Twice as hosts and now by knocking you out.

I still hope you'll rebuild Italy to it's glory days and at least Ventura is out.

10. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Well it is a good superstition actually but I don't believe in superstitions. We were in a terrible situation before the playoffs.

Yeah the team really needs rebuilding.

I think its also time to call: Pellegrini, Benassi, Bernardeschi, Chiesa, Berardi, Caldara, Rugani, and Romagnoli to be key players in this team. With Barzagli retiring this could be a good chance. Chiellini also said he is retiring, but maybe the new coach will convince him to continue. Ventura did that with Barzagli. I think Chiellini still has a lot more to offer, and I hope he reverses his decision. He can also help the young players grow in mentality and adjust.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ibra retired.

Saying SWE was w/o Ibra is like saying Italy was without Totti.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  12. Hidegkuti78

Hidegkuti78 Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Can someone please link me a Uruguay NT thread?
    I am gonna have to get familiar with the dudes since I'll root for them.

13. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
  14. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hasn't it been said that Sweden has been statistically better without Ibra, or something?

15. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
  16. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    If Ibra plays well in the 2nd half of the season and asks if he can make a return would he be denied? He seems to be revered like a god in Sweden.

Who would lead the line for Sweden in Russia? Can Sweden fit Ibra in this team without the whole team playing for him? Would Ibra be a good option from the bench if things aren't going swimmingly (if an older, wiser?, Ibra can stomach sitting on the bench knowing it's his teammates that got Sweden to Russia)?

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I don't think he'd be denied but I think he'd make Sweden weaker. The main reason for their success is that they play great as a team. Kinda like Iceland. If Ibra comes back they will lose everything that makes them tough to beat. And Ibra isn't good enough to carry a team on his own anymore.

It would be kind of a dick move by Ibra.

Kung and tudobem62014 repped this.
  18. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    do it denmark!

19. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Denmark destroys Ireland.
    Never seen the green lads lacking heart like this ever before.
    Will be fun to have Denmark in Russia as well.Very well deserved.

20. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Denmark is in

21. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    no sir Denmark gave the irish full viking, they even had their raping hats on too.

22. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I don't think Ireland lacked heart. Denmark was just the better side in general.

Ceres repped this.
  23. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Unlike Ireland (and Sweden), Denmark always refuse to play cynical and defensive minded at youth and NT level ... and sure it took some years to qualify, implementing new talent ... but now Denmark has arrived once more as a team worth watching ...

24. world soccer magazines

Oct 31, 2016
    Real shame Italy won't be there. They still have better players than three quarters of the World Cup teams and if they'd not got stuck with Spain/Germany/France in their group they would have qualified. They could have done something with the right management.

I don't understand how Chile aren't there as well. So many glorious moments in the Copa America in recent years from them and some great players down the years..Salas, Zamorano, Sanchez etc. Last time I seen them play they looked quality.

Also, it's a sad to see the Dutch, another team with wonderful footballing history ,a nation that produced Van Basten, Gullit, Cruyff, Seedorf, Rikaard, Overmars, Neeskens, Bergkamp etc. struggling and fielding such average fare as Babel, Fer and Indi.

And it's such a shame the USA won't be there, a nation that....well... to see them well with their great hist...I mean with all the great play....and trad...well I mean.....Landycakes, Alexei Lalas' ginger beard...er....et cetera.

tudobem62014 and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think even with Spain in our group, with good management we would have qualified. We would have at least beaten Spain at home in Italy and lost in Spain by only 1 goal. We definitely would have cruised through the playoffs.

With Ventura though, I am confident to say our team was comparable with Slovenia.