UEFA 2018 World Cup Qualification

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Italy-Azzurri-Fan, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Desere

Desere Red Card

sampdoria
    Italy
    Oct 16, 2017
    I want Croatia to make it. I like their football, their supporters, their fans and their patriotism. They would be a great addition to have at the world cup, even if they hate Italy haha.

Croatia should get through but Greece isn't a good match up for anyone. They have that tough defensive ability and knack if nicking a result. I still give Croatia about a 65 percent chance of going through. Almost 70 percent.

Nico777 repped this.
  2. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    Well i don't think anyone wants to see the Greeks and there boring football in the Worldcup.

cloak and Philip J. Fry repped this.
  3. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Northern Ireland 0-1 Switzerland

Croatia 4-1 Greece

4. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Can't wait that Corluka comes back. We need him both for the defense and for the build up play from behind.
    Good result but need to confirm on sunday. Won't be easy in Greece.
    Then if they qualify there might be place to do something big in Russia.

5. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Embarrassing mistakes by Greek players, goals #1, #2 and #4 were hilarious. It should've been even bigger margin.

6. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It was really a total domination any the Croatians.

Nico777 repped this.
  7. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gosh while I do hope Switzerland make it, that penalty should not have happened. Very controversial.

cloak repped this.
  8. cloak

cloak Member

Aug 25, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ball pretty much hits him on the shoulder
    Not even looking at the ball, arm against body
    About 2 yards from the volley on the edge of the area

Terrible decision. Maybe some Swiss banking going the refs direction.

9. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The ref in Switzerland/ NI and Greek goalkeeper+defense all got bigger bank accounts

10. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Greece got an economic injection from a Croatian to put a non-club starting goalie in and a retarded defender in the lineup. Watch that ref in Swizterland/ Northern Ireland... he's gonna be in a new German luxury car soon.

11. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Appalling decision for the penalty against Northern Ireland. I just can't fathom how he can be so certain in his mind to give that since he was the wrong side. Could it be that the linesman gave it, thinking that it had hit the hand on that side? (which it obviously didn't).

So unfortunate for Northern Ireland, but they did show a bit of endeavour in the later stages to suggest that all is not lost just yet. But as bad as the penalty decision was, a 1-0 win for Switzerland was overall a fair reflection of the match I think. Would have been more appropriate if they'd scored one of their legitimate chances though...

As for Croatia, they have one foot in the World Cup now. Greece shot themselves in the foot repeatedly - goalkeeping errors, defensive errors. Nearly got it back to 4-2 near the end, but as it stands I just can't see any hope for them in the second leg.

tudobem62014 repped this.
  12. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    @Hideo ... the ref awarded the pen quite quickly so I doubt he had time to check with the linesman ... and yes the ref couldn't have seen the ball hitting his arm, so he must have guessed (which he shouldn't have done). Northern Ireland were poor and even had it remained a scoreless draw Switzerland would have been favoured to get over the line at home (but still I'd rather see that without the bad call).

tudobem62014 repped this.
  13. Hideo

Hideo Member

Newcastle United and Shimizu S-Pulse
    Apr 30, 2010
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I can only think then that he was swayed by the claims of the couple of Swiss players in the vicinity, and made the assumption that it must have been a handball even though he couldn't see it.

14. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    Lol where Croatia would find the money to do that :D

Anyway i hope that they will be serious on sunday. The world cup will already miss a team with the likes of alexis, vidal, medel. It's better for the event to have modric rakitic perisic mandzukic etc than not.

15. Wolves1889

Wolves1889 Member

Mar 13, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Music..Go west ..by Pet Shop Boys or Village People

STAND UP IT IS OUR TEAM
    STAND UP IT IS OUR TEAM
    STAND UP IT IS OUR TEAM
    STAND UP IT IS OUR TEAM

No Romeo Benetti in the starting eleven for pasta.
    Time for Sweden..we win One Nil tonight and we score at San Siro to make it impossible for Italy.End result in Milan due-due.

COME ON SWEDEN.Gunnar Nordahl is watching.

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Some "wonderful" play-acting by Italy in this one...

17. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ugh you might be right. I hope we can turn it around. But so much needs to be done if we are to do so.

18. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Italy's problem right now is that they don't have any world class attacking players like they have in the past (i.e. Baggio, Del Piero, Pirlo, etc.).

With teams putting more and more players behind the ball, you need a top quality creative player to break down the defense, which Italy doesn't have.

Desere repped this.
  19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well (half) done, Sweden.

20. Kung

Kung Member

Nov 3, 2014
    Club:
    Hammarby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    As I've mentioned before. We usually don't lose at home. Our away games is worse so hopefully we can score the first goal at Milan.

Italy have to push forward so they should be a bit more open.

21. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    No that is not the problem. Yeah we maybe don't have Del Piero and Baggio anymore, but Belotti, Immobile, and Insigne are all good strikers and they have produced spectacular things at their clubs.

The problem is Giampiero Ventura (our coach). He has no tactics at all. Did you actually watch the game? Have you noticed we had 0 shots on target? The strikers hardly touched the ball. The midfield was nonexistent most of the time. De Rossi is way too old and slowed everything down. Parolo looked like he was forced to play and did not want to be on the pitch. Verratti looked to be trying but did not perform because everyone was marking him knowing that the other two midfielders are not dangerous. Ventura needs to go. He has no tactics, and the team is playing scared.

Back when Conte was in charge, the team had fighting spirit and was literally trying so hard and hitting the target a number of times. Honestly even a dog would do better with this team than Ventura. The team doesn't even seem hungry.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    #272 BocaFan, Nov 11, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    It was pretty clear that Italy did have tactics. In the first half they defended well. Which sorta makes sense playing the first leg on the road.

In the second-half they spent most of their time trying to get Berg sent-off. Literally running into Berg's elbow and then rolling over on the ground 8 times. Guess they thought that was their best chance at a priceless away goal.

I'm not trying to be a dick here; I'm being serious. Those were their tactics. I'm convinced the 'Berg' strategy was discussed at halftime.

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That could be very possible. But those are not real tactics anyway. We need actual tactics, not tactics to try and get someone sent off. My Goodness that is just brutal. If it was talked in half time, it means they don't think they can get a result with 11v11. We are Italy, its unacceptable you have that belief. I don't like it.

24. Nico777

Nico777 Member+

Olympique de marseille
    Croatia
    Oct 19, 2017
    When Sweden scored the guys were so happy to lead that they did not know anymore what to do with the ball.
    I can't imagine them holding this way in San Siro 95 minutes.
    E caldo per italiani ma non è finito.

25. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly I would say we are still favorites if Ventura was not the manager, but unfortunately it is possible to lose under Ventura.