UEFA 2016-2017 Referee Assignments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by London_ref, Jul 20, 2016.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kuipers missed a few fouls that would have been in the attacking third for Barcelona, most notably the Alves foul on Neymar that probably needed a yellow, too. But that's really it. No missed critical match incidents and his approach, which was to allow physical play and not resort to cards early, probably paid off for him. I'm sure Barcelona fans would say he encouraged Juventus' physical play, but the counterargument would be he didn't get sucked into gamesmanship or simulation.

Overall, by no means a perfect performance but still a pretty impressive one given the stakes and pressure, including the increased microscope he was under after yesterday. I'd expect we see him again in the semis, depending upon the draw.

Semis would then most likely be Mazic, Cakir, Kuipers, Brych with Skomina on the Final, presuming Skomina was clean in his match (didn't get to see, but also haven't read anything negative other than a missed card early on).

2. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I thought Kuipers did a good job as well. I didn't like how he didn't really deal with the dissent from Neymar, Suarez and Busquets. I thought one of those needed a card for dissent during the game.

Overall, can't quibble with the performance.

I still think one of the Italians will be on the non-Juve match. Toss up between Rocchi and Rizzoli.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see Rocchi if Mazic gets the EL final. But if Rocchi is on the EL final, then that's probably it for him. For me, that's really the only questionable piece left to the puzzle (where Rocchi and Mazic land) as I don't think Rizzoli was good enough in Munich.

I think Cakir, Brych and Kuipers are locked in for semis with Skomina for Final. But of course I've been very wrong before.

4. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
  5. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Meanwhile, a pretty fantastic performance by Mallenco and his crew in Man U/Anderlecht. Calm, composed, let them play without letting things get out of hand, and clear in both his calls and non-calls. ARs nailed a bunch of close decisions as well.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Kuipers and Cakir for the Madrid derby, Brych and Mazic for Monaco - Juventus?

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brych already had Juventus and Cakir already had Real Madrid in their only respective knockout matches, so I'd switch them. Brych and Kuipers handling the Madrid matches, with Kuipers probably on the home Real leg. Cakir and maybe Mazic on the other tie.

If Mazic is going to get the EL Final, however, which seems very possible after he had a great performance yesterday in Turkey, he might be omitted from the CL semis to avoid any controversy. If that's the case, you obviously can't have Rocchi on the Juventus-Monaco match, so it does open up a fourth slot to a name we haven't considered yet. If Clattenburg is in play, that's probably where he'd come back into the mix. If he's not, someone like Marciniak or Eriksson would slot in there. There's also the wildcard of putting a Spanish referee, such as Mateu Lahoz, on one of those legs, but there are plenty of opportunities for Spanish referees in the EL, so maybe not.

EDIT: thinking about it a little more, Brych is from Munich so maybe that keeps him off the Real game and puts him on the other tie... also, Atkinson has been strangely absent this past round, with Man U going through in the EL, if he's deemed worthy of a semifinal this season, he might end up being the fourth referee

8. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Brych had a controversial game in the QF with Atletico last year, so I doubt he'll handle them again.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you mean Atletico's red card in their first leg 2-1 loss at Barcelona? Atletico won the aggregate anyway.

10. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
  11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #336 MassachusettsRef, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Real Madrid : Atletico Madrid - ATKINSON (ENG)

So Atkinson is indeed the "fourth" referee. But there are rumors that all U20 referees leave for South Korea in a week, which would blow a hole in all theories for the second legs if true. Could see more surprises than expected, but maybe there will be exceptions made for certain referees.

12. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Real Madrid is the home side for this match.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Fixed.

14. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Not directly UEFA related, but Aytekin has been handed the final of the DFB Pokal just after he had the semifinal, so he's doing 2 of the final 3 matches of the cup. Probably unprecedented, and a clear sign that he's established himself as No. 2 after Brych.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AS Monaco : Juventus - MATEU LAHOZ (ESP)

Rocchi is on the Ajax-Lyon match.

16. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Karasev for Celta Vigo - Man United.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Atkinson was excellent. A little lenient on PI and and borderline cautionable decisions, but he was consistent and had great authority and control throughout. I think he's excellent right now and it is or will be a shame if he's not an option for the World Cup next year.

That said, posters on other referee boards are focusing on this incident and saying it was missed VC. Whether you agree or not, a reminder of both the potential implications of VAR (it could have changed this game, whereas no one outside referee circles is really talking about it as controversial) and the focus on potential errors of commission over errors of omission:

859490921490108417 is not a valid tweet id

18. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ramos never ceases to amaze me. You would think a player that has been sent off 22 times in his career would learn...

I don't know how you don't review this as a VAR and not produce a red card.

It's a pretty clear elbow to the head.

The only rational would be that "it's the Champions League semifinals and no one is really appealing for a red card and let's not become the story of the game."

I don't see this as anything but a "clear and obvious error." If Atkinson and his crew saw this and gave the red card there is no way the VAR would overturn this.

19. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    #345 socal lurker, May 3, 2017
    Last edited: May 3, 2017
    I've long thought that would be more fair -- especially if the kicks goes into extra kicks. At lower levels, however, I am concerned that it is one more complication for the referees. (Yes, I know it isn't that complicated, but kicks are stressful for the referee team as well as the players.) It will be interesting to see if this goes anywhere.

With respect to the fairness, I'd be curious on the stats as to whether there is actually a difference in who wins based on who kicks first -- anyone know? [EDIT: BBC article says team going first wins 60% of time. http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39798344 ]

21. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I've actually seen discussion about this incident on regular football forums and the commentators on the broadcast I watched picked up on it too (saying Ramos was very lucky to still be on the pitch).
    Have not seen any criticism of Atkinson or the team for missing it though, that might explain why it hasn't become high profile.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Juventus : Monaco - KUIPERS (NED)

IASocFan and London_ref repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #348 MassachusettsRef, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Atletico Madrid : Real Madrid - CAKIR (TUR)

Several different options for leg 2 semifinals of EL. Marciniak, Eriksson, Hategan, Brych all seem possible.

Appointments do seem to confirm Skomina and Mazic for the Finals.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manchester United : Celta Vigo - HATEGAN (ROU)
    Olympique Lyon : Ajax - MARCINIAK (POL)

With the Finals the only thing left, I'd say Skomina on the CL with Atkinson as his 4th and Mazic on the EL with Rocchi as his 4th.

25. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Last week and today in the CL I've noticed the AAR's signaling GK or CK. Subtle pointing, but clearly indicating them. Is this something new, or have I just not paid attention in the past?