UEFA 2016-2017 Referee Assignments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by London_ref, Jul 20, 2016.

1. frankieboylampard

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I saw this real time and I believe the clip doesn't show a good video. I believe #2 Dani Carvajal of Real Madrid knocks the ball out of Vidal's hands from behind you can barely see it on the clip.

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real Madrid : Bayern - KASSAI (HUN)
    Leicester : Atletico - ROCCHI (ITA)

It's a renaissance for Italian refereeing at this point. And Kassai unsurprisingly gets a big one. Now a lot of options left for the final two quarters, though (Kuipers and Cakir at top of list, but Clattenburg possible, as is Hategan or either final candidate).

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barcelona : Juventus - KUIPERS (NED)
    Monaco : Dortmund - SKOMINA (SVN)

Hugh Dallas is assessing Skomina, so seems like a final check on whether or not he gets the UCL Final. High-risk, high reward.

IASocFan repped this.
  4. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    So Cakir then gets two semifinal games like last year. One of Rizzoli, Rocchi or Orsato gets a semi and Mazic on another semi with Skomina to get the Final.

5. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt it. Last year seemingly occurred because of so many high-profile mistakes and a weak bench. You have the opposite problems this year.

I'd say semis are Cakir, Mazic, whomever does the best out of Kuipers/Kassai and then a wildcard. That wildcard could be Clattenburg. It could be Brych (particularly if both German teams crash out). It could be an up-and-comer like Hategan, who has had a great season. Mateu Lahoz is actually a name that needs to be considered if both Spanish teams lose, too. Or, maybe both Kuipers and Kassai get semis. Way too many options to give Cakir two games again.

Of course, if Skomina falls on his face Wednesday, then everything is up in the air again.

I don't think you'll see any of the Italians again, though, because if Juventus goes through it means only one of them would be able to do a match without seeing a team back-to-back. Plus, it seems like Rocchi is the only one who is relatively clean at this point (with his match still to go) and he makes a lot of sense for the EL Final. Maybe Rizzoli snags the other semi on reputation if Real or Bayern gets drawn with Juventus, but I wouldn't bet on it.

6. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    If both German teams crash out, might Brych be in contention for the final? I think he's had a good year., and it is certainly not often that Bayern fails to make the semis. Although with Collina, having a team from your country in the semis doesn't prevent you from getting the final, as with Clattenburg last year.

MassachusettsRef repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will be in South Korea for the U20s.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besiktas : Lyon - MAZIC (SRB)
    Schalke : Ajax - HATEGAN (ROU)
    Genk : Celta Vigo - COLLUM (SCO)
    Manchester United : Anderlecht - UNDIANO MALLENCO (ESP)

IASocFan repped this.
  9. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes. Kassai's season is likely over. Was having a good match and Vidal easily could have been sent off earlier, but not sending off Casemiro (after reaching for the pocket) and then sending off Vidal a few minutes later (for something that probably wasn't even a foul) is not going to be looked upon favorably. Interesting to see the Bayern players appeal to the fourth official in the hopes he'd intervene.

10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Ouch. So strange...seemed to be doing everything possible not to give any 2YCs, and then pulls one out for that.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Though to be fair to Kassai, if he thinks Vidal fouled there, he probably thinks he completely missed the ball and that the attacker got the touch which sent the ball flying. So if you take that perspective (imagine the play from his angle and no touch on the ball by Vidal) then you can totally understand why he'd finally draw the line on a 2CT there, particularly when you also have the PI angle in addition to what would have been an obvious tactical, if not also reckless, foul.

But, of course, that isn't what happened. It was a good tackle.

12. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Really amateur stuff from Kassai there. Reaching into the pocket and not giving the second caution.

Vidal's first caution probably could have been red, but that's never gonna be given 5 minutes into a CL quarterfinal between Real and Bayern Munich.

Vidal's second is a tough call. At that level it's probably not a foul, but if you call it you kind of have to give a card there.

13. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And now an offside goal for Real. It comes minutes after a similar decision was correctly called, but Ronaldo disagreed visually and vocally. You have to wonder if that seed of doubt was planted, because this was an easier decision than the one AR1 got right.

14. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Ouch. Went from an average/poor night from Kassai to a terrible and failing performance.

Ronaldo offside on the goal.

On top of that I thought he had an easy opportunity to "even it up" with an easy sending off on Caseimiro for simulation.

15. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Ha. Now Ronaldo scores from a very obviously offside position. What a farce.

16. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Agreed.

And it's the same AR who incorrectly called Lewandowski offside when he would have been through 1-on-1 in the 2nd half.

17. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Meh, Vidal was already given clemency from a foul earlier in the half that should have sent him off. But not sending Casiermo off despite repeated reasons for doing so, and the offside noncall, both mar this game.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that.

I also really want to see the two potential offside decisions on the own goal. If no one was in OSP, there may be nothing there. But if so, "challenging" comes into play and the goal becomes a very interesting test case.

19. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    ANOTHER offside goal.

This is nearly as bad as the Ovrebo debacle. Utterly shambolic performance from the officials.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We sure the third goal is offside? I thought it was possible, but must have missed the replay that confirmed it, if it was shown.

21. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Looked pretty even to me.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the global justice sense, maybe you're right. But "meh" won't be UEFA's reaction on the Vidal 2CT--that will be the big one. Kassai sent off a player for something that wasn't a foul. That's an incorrect critical match incident. If anything, the earlier decision not to give Vidal a second caution might be a different missed critical match incident, though I personally think there's enough subjectivity there to justify no card. In other words, two wrongs don't make a right for Kassai, they make two (very important) wrongs.

mfw13 repped this.
  23. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normal caveat on still photos, which is that we can't be 100% sure this was the precise moment the ball was played, but it does look off (and doesn't look good for AR2, though given the way the play developed, you can understand why he was flat-footed and behind the ball):

24. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    I guess I just meant that it was pretty obvious after the non-card on the 2nd non-call that Vidal's next foul would be his last. Does that factor into how we judge the referee?

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It certainly should factor into how we might try to understand decisions or the performance. You'll note above that I referenced the PI angle (and @RedStar91 went a step further, saying it had to be a card if a foul was called). But it still doesn't change the accuracy of the decision.

I'd also disagree and say that, in this match and environment, Vidal's next foul was not an automatic 2CT (as evidence, look at what Casimero got away with minutes earlier). For Vidal to get sent off, it was going to need to be an obvious yellow on its own or a very physical foul that tied Kassai's hands. As things happened, Kassai thought he saw that. But he was mistaken.