UEFA 2016-2017 Referee Assignments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by London_ref, Jul 20, 2016.

1. mathguy ref

mathguy ref Member+

Nov 15, 2016
    TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Is that really fair? If he calls a foul and resulting penalty from what he perceives as the arm and holding, and VAR is in play and after the call has to go to the monitor only to discover his call was in error he's going to be in a really rough place. In that stadium and in that game and at that time pulling back the PK is going to result in pandemonium. So now he's looking for another reason to stay with his original call, sees contact that he would not have ever seen in real time and stays with the decision.

Thats Pandora's box being opened and the contents chucked into the wind. I'm not sure I like that. Is that really possible within the confines of VAR?

2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the opposite fair, though?

He calls something, goes to the VAR, sees his call wasn't accurate, but still sees a foul that should have been a penalty. The alternative you imply is to not award the penalty, right? How is that fair?

And I didn't say anything about "looking for another reason to stay with the original call." In this case, he really wouldn't have to look too hard, because the trip is there. A main purpose of VAR is to get calls correct, no? I don't understand (other than just simple disgust for Suarez's antics) how someone can look at that replay as a whole and not conclude that, at the very least, a penalty for tripping is completely defensible--if not absolutely mandatory.

Bradley Smith and RedStar91 repped this.
  3. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I'm probably gonna keep beating the anti-replay drum until I'm either proven wrong or it goes away, but this game and the Bayern Arsenal game are another example of why replay is doomed to fail.

We have one of the most famous coaches in the world saying that a VAR would overturn the two penalties in the PSG game. One penalty is clear as day and the other is defensible.

We have media and coaches blasting a referee for giving a pretty obvious red card for DOGSO in the Bayern vs. Arsenal game.

Infantino, the FIFA President, made comments after the PSG Barca game saying that football needs to be careful about replay and to be only implemented to fix "clear" errors.

http://www.espnfc.us/blog/fifa/243/...rush-into-rule-changes-fifas-gianni-infantino

He sees the writing on the wall and knows that replay won't be fix for everything.

The problem is the definition of "clear" error.

Also, I don't know true this is, but it looks like Ayetkin has been scrapped for the season due to his performance. It looks like UEFA was not pleased with his performance.

4. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked everything in your post except this. Seems all reports on this are based on this article: http://www.marca.com/en/football/barcelona/2017/03/09/58c19a0de2704eed198b456a.html

Typical tabloid stuff to get clicks. While it's likely both true that Aytekin won't referee in the UCL again this year and won't get as marquee matches, that was always likely to be true. He was never getting a UCL semifinal or the Final, so really it was a question of the QF stage, where two German teams have already made it and Brych will need a match. And how do you get a match as marquee as Barca-PSG outside the UCL?

I expect you'll see Aytekin in the EL once or twice, as you always would have. But now that this article is written the way it is, when he does appear in the EL, it will be a "demotion." Note, however, that none of Marca's sources or "understanding" actually says that UEFA was unhappy with Aytekin. The article uses the word "could" liberally and points out, factually, that Collina does have to make "cuts" (otherwise known as "decisions" or "appointments").

5. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Juventus - Porto: OVIDIU HATEGAN (ROM)
    Leicester - Sevilla: ORSATO (ITA)

Nice appointment for Orsato.

IASocFan repped this.
  6. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
  7. balu

balu Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Monaco - Man City: ROCCHI (ITA)
    Atletico Madrid - Leverkusen: KARASEV (RUS)

Big match for Rocchi, rather meaningless match for Karasev.

8. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rocchi and Orsato are both pre-selected for WC18. Only one is going to go. I think most observers would have assumed Rocchi was Rizzoli's heir, given the past 2-3 years. Orsato is challenging that assumption. This week seems to be like a head-to-head battle between the two.

9. HoustonRef

HoustonRef Member

May 23, 2009
    Not impressed by Orsato. I believe he's missed three YC opportunities in the first half alone.

colman1860, Pierre Head and akindc repped this.
  10. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    He's certainly letting a lot go, but at least he's been pretty consistent about it.

11. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Oh, ugh. Not sure what a ref is supposed to do there, but hate that. #Vardy #Nasri

Could anyone justify just a yellow card to Vardy? Or a yellow to Nasri and two yellows to Vardy? (one for instigating, one for flopping)? I doubt it, but it would seem more fair.

12. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    Ref got conned by Vardy there, both should have been sent off.

PH

13. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    Orsato's habit of pointing to the spot of the foul every time he gives a free kick drives me mad.

14. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Why's that? Do you think Vardy should have gotten one YC for the pushing and another one for simulation? I can see a case for that, but it would have been a ballsy move for the ref.
    It seemed like a reasonable call to me...they were both in each other's faces, both pressed their foreheads together, both deserved a YC.
    Nasri's just happened to be his second.

15. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe PH's argument is going to be that both committed VC, so both should have seen straight red. It's intellectually consistent on his part, as he's argued in the past that any unnecessary physical contact off-the-ball automatically is VC if it's more than trifling, but I just don't think it's how Elite referees in UEFA are being instructed right now. These were two "game disrepute" cautions and Nasri's happened to be his second, like you said. More force and you have two VC red cards, sure, but there just wasn't enough there in my opinion (or Orsato's) to warrant such a decision here.

Two cautions for Vardy in this single incident would never fly.

Thezzaruz, rh89 and akindc repped this.
  16. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
    I get what you are saying, things have changed, but I still think two red cards here would be accepted
    by everyone. Vardy was the instigator here after all. Was justice served?
    In any event, if this happens in the sort of games most people here referee, the smart decision is two reds
    otherwise there would be further problems.

PH

17. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a referee, but I think there would be significantly more straight red cards if what Vardy did deserved a straight red. The fact that a player could instigate knowing that if he and his opponent both got yellow cards it would be his first and his opponent's second is something fans and referees have to deal with even if it doesn't seem fair. Vardy shouldn't get more punishment because Nasri had a yellow card earlier.

18. akindc

akindc Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, DC
    In an ideal world, every dive would be a red card, and every instigator would be punished more severely...but sadly, we have to follow the LOTG and not carry out our own form of justice.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't disagree with much here, from a factual basis. Agree Vardy was the instigator in this particular incident and that, in most matches below the professional level and the highest amateur levels, two reds for VC is probably the safest solution. I'd only make two points about overall justice and the argument two reds would have been accepted:

1) From a global perspective, I think justice was served. Nasri committed borderline VC on his first yellow card caution and then committed to an actual head butt, even if force was negligible. He committed two infractions in this match that were red on their own in many matches. Vardy, meanwhile, gave a somewhat light instigating push away from the ball, which might normally be overlooked (or just dealt with via a talking-to) if not for Nasri's reaction, then squared up without headbutting Nasri and then exaggerated the severity of contact by Nasri. For me, Vardy commits 3 actions all within the span of 5 seconds that could be cautionable, but aren't always so. Sometimes we look for justice to punish the instigator because we don't want to excuse his behavior, but sometimes there's just not enough there to justify the same result (two send offs). In this case, for me, justice is the same sanction (two cautions) and Nasri is just both unlucky and stupid to have it be his second.

2) I would disagree that everyone would "accept" the Vardy VC send off here. From an LOTG perspective, you could justify it, but I believe it would be deemed overly harsh by most observers and have had big ramifications, with Vardy then banned for both legs of the QFs. I don't think Leicester fans, neutral UCL fans, or Collina and his colleagues at UEFA would have accepted that result.

20. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    It sort of works both ways, though. Professional instigators learn from this game to go after guys with yellow cards, not in the "professional" way (by attacking the goal through them, forcing them to either defend fairly or take a second yellow) but by actions which call the game into disrepute, hoping for yellows-both-ways.

At minimum, it means that MassRef might be a bit wrong (from a "should be" standpoint; I don't disagree with his interpretation of the LOTG), but only in failing to consider Nasri's card status in judging Vardy's actions. That is, I don't agree that Vardy's actions were only debatably-caution-able, that no caution should/would have issued but for Nasri's actions, and it should be judged entirely different from Nasri's card status. Vardy's actions were likely taken with an eye towards instigating a response from Nasri BECAUSE he had a yellow, and that should be factored in.

If the referee isn't going to yellow Vardy unless Nasri responds, it gives Vardy a full and free pass. Either Nasri doesn't get sent off but you get off scot free (and maybe you try again later), or you take a yellow but win the game for your team. Maybe that means referees should be more protective of instigating actions taken against someone already on a yellow, and card them sooner. Indeed, if the initial push gets called and carded immediately*, then the rest of it might not have played out as it did.

For the record - I have no dog in this fight, and was rooting for Leicester for purely "root-for-the-underdog" reasons. I also agree that Nasri might have gotten a straight red for his first foul, and probably was on a deserved tight leash anyway. But I passionately hate "professional instigators."

* I agree it happened quickly, but perhaps not that quickly, but we won't know since no foul was called at all for the initial push. And arguably, there should be advantage played here, but that won't always be the case, and the ref didn't signal it AFAIK, and perhaps these types of "instigating" fouls should be a (non-decisive) factor weighing against advantage.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably.

But why?

Every player has a personal responsibility to behave in a way that doesn't get them sent off. I agree with you, to the extent that a player attempting to bait another player into a red card should be handled appropriately, but that means disciplining that instigator due to the nature of their offence and consistent with how the game has been called and managed. Just because the opponent is on a yellow card doesn't make the nature of the instigation any worse from a misconduct standpoint. That's punishing player A because his opponent, player B, misbehaved earlier in the match. Doesn't make sense to me. A caution is remedial and is telling a player to be on his best behavior and that includes not getting sucked into incidents that will obviously get them sent off, as this one did. We're referees, not babysitters.

Just to reiterate, I disagree with this. If Vardy's initial action isn't enough to warrant sanction in a different circumstance, then I can't see any justice in punishing him with a caution just to prevent the retaliation. We can only take preventative refereeing so far. Calling a few extra borderline fouls in midfield to keep the temperature of the match is one thing. Inventing cautions so that a misbehaving opponent stays on the field is something entirely different. Look at Nasri's reaction--both to Vardy and then after the send off--and ask yourself this: should a referee really be going out of his way to help a player like that and keep him on the field?

That's all fair enough. I would just caution strongly against bending the Laws too much to combat such instigators simply due to that passionate hate.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Video of the incident is available here:

https://vimeo.com/album/4475457/video/208413005

Replay at 74:01 (on game clock) is interesting. Vardy does push first, but there's nowhere near anything for misconduct and I'd even question if he was trying to bait Nasri at this point. Nasri comes back toward him to square up. I know where aren't supposed to read minds, but I think this is when Vardy realizes he has him on the hook and gives him a somewhat more forceful push. Nasri then reacts immediately, squares up again, leans his head in and Vardy exaggerates the contact. Doesn't change my opinion of the correct misconduct at all, but it is interesting to have the video and be able to watch it from multiple angles.

A second point that came into my mind: what was the restart? Watch Orsato and try to pinpoint when he whistles. It's definitely before the ball goes out of play but also after the initial coming together. He also looks like he points for a DFK to Leicester, which would undermine the argument that he got Vardy for instigating. I'd be very interested to learn both the restart (it's unclear from video) and how the Vardy caution was written up. If he got Vardy for simulation, then Orsato is in the clear (though it means he ignored the instigation entirely). If he got Vardy for anything else, I don't know how you avoid giving Sevilla the DFK.

23. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Doesn't it though? We caution a tactical foul because of its cynical, inherently unsporting character. Isn't this essentially the same thing?

I'm thinking less about the professional level (too far above my pay grade) and more (as always) about the matches I ref. If I can keep that kid on the field rather than let him be baited into a second yellow, I want to do that. And if he's being intentionally baited, I want that all the more.

Tigerpunk repped this.
  24. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I think the problem in this case is that Nasri didn't just take the bait. He jumped into the boat.

25. sulfur

sulfur Member+

Oct 22, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    He might've considered the situation "simultaneous" and thus punished the more serious (the headbutt motion) for the DFK.