UCLA BRUINS - 2016

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WatzBruin, Feb 4, 2016.

1. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Got to take a look at the game against Duke I records - they said Abu was injured and should be back soon.

As far as the game goes - UCLA really beat themselves. Mostly controlled the game until the inexplicably took Yuell out with 30 minutes to go in second half. Salcedo seems to think Hernandez is their star, but Yuell might not have the same quickness, but is far more productive in attack and seems to play more defense. Cervantes really couldn't be blamed on the goal (a very well struck shot from distance that banged off post) and make a several nice reaction saves but could have easily cost UCLA two goals with a couple of terrible give-aways. A couple of his great saves were caused because he didn't deal with the ball while it was in the air. Still seems like a big liability overall - but does appear to be a excellent shot stopper.

Yuell won a PK that Iloski missed with a weak shot that the keeper probably would have saved if it was closer to the frame. Can't believe UCLA doesn't have better PK takers. Also not sold on Powell as he's seems shaky to me. Had a terrible give away this game and I thought I he may have had one against Fullerton. Jones pointed out how Duke was forcing play through Holt who was getting grief from an out of control Fullerton fan about being shaky on the ball. They might do better with him paired up with Amick in back and another CM. Adekoya has done very little in the games I've seen so far. Not sold on Romero either. He seems more solid than good.

I still think UCLA is a much better team than they have been showing. If Yuell plays the who game with Abu up top they are very dangerous. I also think Vobejda should be in the starting line-up as he provides the grit that seems to be lacking in several of there players and is still pretty skilled. Keeper is still the big problem as Cervantes seems to be a mistake waiting to happen.

2. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yep, better than they've been showing. However, I'm not a big Salcedo fan. He'll find a way to mess things up. UCLA 6 Akron 1. Danladi back with two goals in succession. Yuell-4 assists. This is fine, but just watch, UCLA will lose in the 2nd round of the NCAA playoffs to the U of San Diego.

3. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Some of his decisions over the years have been mind boggling. However Salcedo gets a pass as they said Yuell was not completely healthy. Three of those assists were sublime and within 13 minutes of him entering the game it was a complete rout. Iloski had a nice free kick but the have too many piano players with him on the field. The trio of Cervantes, Holt and Powell are a turnover waiting to happen. They could have easily given up a goal or two this game as well. If they can give up the bad turnovers in the back and more work rate in the mid-field this is an extremely talented team can hammer just about anyone.

TCS35 repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never thought I'd hear an analysis that basically goes "NCAA soccer team doesn't have enough hard-working piano carriers"

What a time to be alive!

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  5. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Not too many teams at any level start their season passing it around for a minute until they get a tap in goal. But it is not like you are either skilled or can defend. It the mix of both. UCLA has too many players that either are are not capable of defending or unwilling to do so. That is the issue. A player like Vobejda does both reasonably well. Not advocating putting more Holt's on the field although having one can be useful.

WatzBruin and Balerion repped this.
  6. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bruins get swept by U-Dub in 2016 by giving up a goal on yet another set piece ( in the opening minutes no less) 0-1.

Just ugly!

7. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    team is an embarrassment this year with the talent they have. overrated garbage.

WatzBruin repped this.
  8. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No disagreement here!

9. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The UCLA team has clearly been gutted:

8 starters from last seasons team gone.

Cannon, Hernandez, Yueill
    Danladi, Adekoya all underclassman that left early...Danladi and Yueill to GA deals and Cannon, Hernandez and Adekoya as Home Grown signings.

Amick and Vobeda lost to graduation.

Iloski to Serbia to attempt a pro career and now Romero transferring.

Can't see no matter how good the incoming class is this level of talent being replaced.

I believe this is the last year of Salcedo's contract. Given the propensity of the UCLA AD to give unwarranted extensions to some Bruin coaches irrrespective of performance, the fact that Jorge may not have an extension in hand may be telling. But that would be pure conjecture on my part.

TCS35 and OverseasView repped this.
  10. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Saw that Brandon Terwege, a USYNTer, is listed as committing to UCLA on the FCD website:

http://www.fcdallas.com/chasesigningnight2017

He had earlier committed to Cal Poly (I thought), so this would be a surprise.

He's arguably the most talented CB currently in their academy.

TCS35 repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That's gotta hurt for Steve Sampson. For a lotta reasons.

WatzBruin and TCS35 repped this.