UCLA BRUINS - 2016

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by WatzBruin, Feb 4, 2016.

1. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #1 WatzBruin, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. TCS35

TCS35 Member

Sep 17, 2015
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Neither was Hugo Arellano U17 Centerback.???

3. tman1

tman1 Member

Jan 27, 2006
    PDA Academy website does not show Silva signing with anybody yesterday as the PDA site listed 10 players signing with colleges. Maybe turning pro? or maybe looking for a closer destination for College? If the later, he will have LOTS of suitors that's for sure

Notre Dame still stained with their 2013 NC

Tman

4. Contrarian

Contrarian New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Some admissions requirements remain to be completed.
    Don't be surprised if Silva isn't rostered by the summer and in goal as the starter by the Fall.

TCS35 repped this.
  5. OverseasView

OverseasView Member+

Olympique Lyonnais
    France
    Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Indeed. The NCAA regulations increased the standards as from this year. For example GPA must be above 2.3. Between 2.3 and 2 you are red shirt freshman.
    And you must satisfy the associated SAT or ACT results. For example for a GPA of 2.3, you must get 900 at the SAT. Which means for example 450 critical reading and 450 mathematics. Which might be steep for some kids. And let's not forget the 16 core course requirements. Hereafter the link to a clear summary of the new requirements:
    http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Important_New_Rules/2016_DI_Academic_Requirements.pdf

6. Soccerus8163

Soccerus8163 New Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Getting some of these kids eligible just took a harder turn for UCLA, Jorge lost his two assistant coaches to Portland.
    Nick was a workhorse for Jorge and several recruits can thank him for going the extra mile to get some of these kids eligible to play. Not Jorge's strong points, but only time will tell.

7. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Silva still needs to take the SAT, apparently.

8. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Word on the street is Jorge is getting close to an assistant coach hire. After losing both Carlin-Voight and Griffin to Portland in January, I'm hearing the following guys are in the mix:

Brad Freidel
    Mike Erush (LMU assistant) and
    Yossi Raz (current HC at Cal Poly Pomona)

soccersubjectively and OverseasView repped this.
  9. Soccerus8163

Soccerus8163 New Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nathan Smith leaves UCLA to sign with Galaxy, My phone won't post the link but was all over twitter and on the LA Galaxy Website.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  10. Soccerus8163

Soccerus8163 New Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nathan Smith logged a full 90 with Galaxy 2 and put in a solid performance last night. Glad to see the kid is doing well

11. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #11 WatzBruin, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    Good for Nathan. But one has to question the wisdom of forgoing the quintessence of a four year degree from UCLA to play USL Pro 1. (Especially with only a year left to complete his degree requirements) It's not like he's playing under a somewhat lucrative GA contract and the money and guarantees associated with those. Talk about putting all of one's Easter eggs in one basket. (Sorry couldn't resist!)

Hope he sees the wisdom in this and returns to UCLA complete his degree requirements.

12. Soccerus8163

Soccerus8163 New Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would totally agree, however i heard he is still in school and Galaxy is paying for the remaining term of his education. The question would be why not? He has nothing to lose considering LA Galaxy right back issues now. Waiting a year puts him in no better position and without a solid GK at UCLA it is a bigger uncertainty of a deep NCAA run.

TCS35 and OverseasView repped this.
  13. Soccerus8163

Soccerus8163 New Member

Oct 26, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Don't forget that Nathan is a galaxy homegrown player. The mls super draft doesn't improve nathans position as a homegrown player with LA. USL 1 is were he would be starting mostly anyway. The USL does allow the galaxy to sign talent early as needed and there are no limitations as to the terms of the deal, salary and guarantees. Especially if if it is a position of need. I have heard The galaxy have wanted to sign him since his freshman year and my guess is they made him an offer to good to refuse.

OverseasView repped this.
  14. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Why not he's in the same town and will have plenty of down time to continue taking classes. Instead of spring ball and Galaxy PDL during the summer he'll be playing at a more competitive level with more continuity. Money is probably close to a wash.

Sandon Mibut and TCS35 repped this.
  15. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    SJTillIDie and OverseasView repped this.
  16. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WatzBruin repped this.
  17. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    SoccerIsOurLife repped this.
  18. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1-1 draw with maryland to start the season. Looked like a 4-1-4-1 formation with romero the lone striker and adekoya at left mid instead of striker. Is this a new formation for the season or just a one-off for the large field at stubhub center?

No danaladi... is he out injured?

Cervantes and romero look overweight.

Iloski, hernandez, and yueill all looked good but couldn't finish. Iloski had some chances to shoot in and around the box but laid it off instead.

New guy reggie cannon looked lively.

19. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Was Maryland goal a keeper mistake as description implied? Couldn't find any video.

TCS35 repped this.
  20. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nothing he could do about it. total defensive breakdown by a longball put iloski in behind who set up romero for a tap-in.

21. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Was asking about the Maryland goal and not UCLA. Some video was posted later and it was a howler. In fairness, their keeper was the player of the game against Fullerton. Made a couple of nice saves to keep them in the game. BTW - that is a nice highlight to show people that still think college soccer is played like it was 20 years ago.

WatzBruin repped this.
  22. espola

espola Member+

Feb 12, 2006
    I liked the announcer's soccerbabble - " Bruins playing their trademark possession ... Here's a long ball in front..." which led immediately to the goal.

23. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #23 WatzBruin, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    UCLA drops a heartbreaker to unranked Duke 0-1 nullifying a stellar game by GK Juan Cervantes. Duke's lone goal was a beautiful strike from distance in the 87m.

Iloski missed a PK that Yuell drew early in the second half.

Bruins have gone approximately 285 min without scoring in the run of play.

Abu Dunladi still hasn't seen the pitch this season curiously.

24. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm curious as well. There doesn't seem to be a lot of info that I've heard. Also didn't see any familiar faces from UCLA at CSF game (other than Schmidt) so I have no idea. Any idea if he's been practicing. If so, I'm completely speculating it is possible that he might be suspended for getting some improper benefits and/or played unauthorized completion while trialing with professional teams over the summer.

25. WatzBruin

WatzBruin Member

Aug 23, 2011
    LA - SF Valley
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I hope that's not the case but considering Coach Salcedo took a very long time to replace two of his assistants that departed, not having those four eyes to keep track of player activity in the offseason wasn't ideal.