PBP: UCL - Manchester United FC vs PFC CSKA Moscow - Dec 5, 2017 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    [​IMG] vs [​IMG]

Competition: UEFA Champions League
    Venue: Old Trafford
    Time: 19:45 (BST), 14:45 (EST)
    Channels: BT Sport 4K UHD(UK), BT Sport 2(UK), MUTV(UK), Fox Sports 2(US), Fox Sports GO(US), fuboTV(US), SuperSport 5 Africa(Zambia)

Manchester United injuries: Bailly (knock), Jones (thigh), Fellaini (knock)
    PFC CSKA Moscow injuries: A. Berezutski (leg), Schennikov (ankle), Milanov (leg)

Manchester United last 6: L-W-L-W-W-W
    PFC CSKA Moscow last 6: W-D-W-W-W-W

Manchester United last result: 1-3 away win at Arsenal
    PFC CSKA Moscow last result: 6-0 home win over FC Tosno

Manchester United league standing:
    2nd
    PFC CSKA Moscow league standing: 3rd

Last Encounter:
    0-4 away win at VEB Arena (Sep 2017)

Manchester United last starting XI (3-4-3):
    de Gea, Valencia(c), Lindelöf, Smalling, Rojo, Young, Matić, Pogba, Lingard, Martial, Lukaku

PFC CSKA Moscow last starting XI (3-1-4-2):
    Akinfeev(c), Ignashevich, V. Berezutskiy, Vasin, Natkho, Fernandes, Dzagoev, Golovin, Nababkin, Vitinho, Wernbloom

=====================
    not too bothered by this one. we should close this one out. we do have a chance to rest some regulars too.

Rashford can start, Zlatan can sub again. Darmian, Herrera, Blind, Romero & co. can get a few minutes under the belt. maybe Tuanzebe?

canadian viewers out of luck. no coverage there. let's get it

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would be very nice if Carrick, Fellaini or preferably both could come back for this game and get some valuable minutes in their legs, with an eye towards the derby.
    If Carrick is fit and good to go, he partially at least could be the answer for Pogba's absence: no one player on our squad is a replica of Pogs obviously and replacing him may fall on the combined efforts of a couple of players at least.

jnielsen repped this.
  3. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Pogba has to play this now.

4. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Ashur, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Pogba playing does not necessarily preclude Carrick and/or Fellaini taking part if they are fit. Carrick especially, because his passing can go some way in mitigating Pogba's absence over the weekend.
    There's no real need for Matic here: he can sit this one out.

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Shaw?
    Mkhitaryan?

6. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ------------------------------Romero
    Darmian---Tuanzebe---Smalling---Blind---Shaw
    ---------------------Carrick----------Pogba
    ------------------------------Mata
    ------------------Rashford----------Martial

Have Rashford and Martial had the opportunity to play together as a 2 striker pairing before? I don't recall. Anyway, doubt we see anything like this especially with Carrick being out for so long. Maybe Herrera in his place and sub MC on for 30 mins.

jeff070 repped this.
  7. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only players who need a rest, either this week or next, are Matic and Valencia. And maybe not even Valencia. Otherwise, there's no reason at all to go at anything less than full strength. Lukaku has to play to see if he can find form before we face City.

8. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    I don't think i said or implied that.

9. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #9 Ashur, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    I never said you did. I'm simply stating that one has nothing to do with the other: it's got nothing to do with you in any way...

10. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You get a rep for putting Shaw in.

I doubt Lukaku gets a rest as he needs a goal.

11. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand he's young and athletic, and needs a goal. I just don't get the whole "play him until he scores himself out of this rut" thing though. He'll be run into the ground by January at this rate.

jeff070 repped this.
  12. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    i don't get this run into ground stuff early into a season. with Matić or anyone else.

he wasn't run into the ground for Everton and he played non stop last season. what i will say is he looks like he is trying to make up for no goals with tracking back etc.

if he stays up top as the tip of the spear good things will eventually come. i don't mind him having a day off though as this game isn't super crucial

13. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    If my math is right, we just need to not lose by more than 6 goals to go through.

14. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The fatigue element is not an issue for now necessarily, but I don't care how well conditioned an athlete is, you have him play 2 games of football almost every week for 3 months straight, there is bound to be a dip of some kind in performance levels.
    Those guys are not cyborgs and when you think of a season nowadays for top teams, where players can easily play 50+ games a season, it's important to manage that properly, unless you want a bunch of players who will be burned out (or suffering injuries) when the business end of the season rolls around.
    As far as Lukaku goes, I don't want to sit him for CSKA because I think he's tired: I simply believe that sitting him for a game like this is simply the best course of action prior to the Derby next weekend. He's not needed this week and there are other players who can do the job. Give him the game off, and hopefully that will help with his preparation ahead of a vital game coming up.

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can we all just stop including Shaw in team predictions until he actually plays a game? Putting aside the FACT that he's done here and will never make it for United, but despite what some think he's clearly behind Young, Blind, and Damian for the LB spot. It's much more likely we see Blind there.

jnielsen repped this.
  17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #17 Ashur, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    Jose appears to confirm the fact that none of the absentees from the Arsenal match will return. But when asked specifically about Carrick, he responded: "No, but I could make a surprise and the one that is not available, he plays."

Not exactly sure what that means, other than one of Jones, Bailly or Fellaini could possibly play after all? Matic is not playing either and Zlatan is not injured, but just doing extra gym work (as he's still rehabbing his knee) and he should be back for City.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This would be a perfect game to play Miki. He needs to get going again because we can't rely in Jesse to be our 10 rest of season. I'm liking the 352 as it plays to our strengths but the problem there is that in that formation the 10 is hugely important and it's arguably our weakest position.

We either need to get Miki going again and hope he finds some kind of form or we need to make a move for a 10 in January...Ozil maybe.

19. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team I would go with for tomorrow:

Romero
    Lindelof. Smalling. Tuanzebe
    Darmian. Herrera. Pogba. Blind
    Miki
    Rashford. Martial

As mentioned above, I'd sit Lukaku for this one, keeping fresher and hopefully fully ready to fire for the derby. Miki plays in Lingard's stead: Lingard definitely plays vs City, but his game and effectiveness is based on doing so much running, that I'd want to keep him in reserve as well. Plus, a European type game could be the spark required to get Miki going again.
    Rojo has played plenty since returning and having just come back from a major knee injury, he could use the break as well. With no one else available at CB, Lindelof ad Smalling have to keep on playing. The other spots fill themselves: it's important to rotate as much as possible, in order to insure we get the team fully fit for the derby (and beyond, with games coming thick and fast), which still is must win, even with Pogs not available.

20. gatekeeper2

gatekeeper2 Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rojo has played plenty since returning...

Which wasn't supposed to be possible in November according to our resident medical authority here.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #21 Ashur, Dec 4, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  22. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    Some of his best work the past few games was because he was back a little further and he was actually able to use his feet and lay off. Goals will come.

benni... repped this.
  23. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The squad for today's game: Romero, Pereira, Valencia, Darmian, Tuanzebe, Smalling, Lindelof, AY, Shaw, Herrera, McTominay, Pogba, Mata, Lingard, Martial, Rashford, Lukaku

24. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Play Pogba and one of McT or Tuanzebe at CM. Rest Herrera for the weekend and pray that Matic or Fellaini are healthy enough to play. Without Pogba, City are going to destroy our midfield. If we're forced into play Herrera and a kid vs City, they are going to put 5 past us, park the bus or not.

Gilma1990 repped this.
  25. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    rumours that shaw is going to get a start - his first in 7 months. this is his shot to change mourinho's mind before the january transfer window. it'd be nice if he played like he actually gave a shit, for once.

Gilma1990 repped this.