PBP: UCL - Manchester United FC vs Paris Saint-Germain - Feb 12, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    PSG showed a lot of people here where we actually stand. The current resurgence under Ole has been fun, but we're still a long long way away from competing for the league or in Europe. We still have a lot of technically weak players at the club and it showed tonight.

jnielsen and thenamestsam repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mbappe put on a terrific show vs United.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ortation-device-manchester-united-floundering

His speed and intelligence were in full display today. His run for the 2nd goal and how he split Bailly and Lindelöf was super impressive. And so was that crazy run he did on a counter when he went around Lindelöf in full flight and still beat him to the punch. Amazing tbh.

On a separate note, still in awe of Marquinhos's performance in holding role and his terrific man marking job on Pogba. PSG will never let him, but if there was a sniff of a chance to get him, it would be awesome to get our hands on him.

4. Stud83

Stud83 Member+

Jun 1, 2005
    It's the hope that kills.

Frustrating loss, but nice to actually have hope nowadays. PSG is far and away the best team we've played and we lost this game in every aspect. I actually think we can be competitive in the second leg - it is PSG after all and we'll go into it with no pressure.

jnielsen repped this.
  5. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    So go out and get hammered and say oh we played our kids blah blah blah like a 2 goal deficit can't be pulled back

6. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    yes that's exactly what i said. idiot

7. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    I mean, watching the extended highlights, it doesn’t look like we were absolute shit. But they’re not a good measure because people here are saying Matic was our best midfielder and he was clearly responsible for the first goal.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  8. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Agreed! 343 or 352 on the return leg!

9. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Also I didn't get to see how appalling this ref was. Anyway to elaborate, in the return leg go 343 or 352 if you ask me. Drop Matic, play with Fred and Ander in the middle and go Sanchez Lukaku Rushford up top.

jnielsen and Anonymous_United repped this.
  10. doubletrouble

doubletrouble Member+

Manchester United
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Dec 16, 2003
    St.Kitts
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Kitts and Nevis
    Ok Albert Einstein

11. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    2nd leg is on 6th March so im very hopeful Lingard and Martial will be fit by then. Any news regarding their fitness??and im not sure we can switch system this easily and it will require lot of work with big matches fast and thick..

12. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...er-substitution-sanchez-lingard-a8776626.html

As it was mentioned during the game, it was clear that the team completely lost their shape in the 2nd half after Mata and Sanchez's intro. And that's when PSG really seized control of the game and put us away.
    Those 2 injuries really killed us: PSG were pretty good in the first half but Lingard's presence and his non stop energy (Martial was just a non factor yesterday from the start) at least provided some kind of threat that was simply gone once he left. Our shape was completely gone and the 2nd half really felt like what we saw in the Mourinho days: a team that was completely disjointed and lacking any semblance of a plan (or what to do offensively)
    Ole has shown he can learn from his mistakes before. We'll see if he can do so again.

13. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Would rather see Chong get minutes over Mata.

AP (who is probs more suited to WF than CM) or Gomez would have to go some to be worse than current Sanchez.

We are probably going out, so would rather get some useful experience for a couple of younger players even if off the bench and preferably without wholesale changes so we keep some shape.

14. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    With the way we play under Ole, pace in the front 3 is an absolute must. Therefore, AP on the wing would be the same as throwing Mata on the wing, and we've seen how that goes.

Stud83 repped this.
  15. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  16. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Well that was embarrassing.

17. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    United's defeat to PSG was years in the making.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47218876

Mere proof that there is a lot of work ahead (and it's time to start consistently getting things right as well), if we're to get back to our elite club status.

18. RealMadridista

RealMadridista Member+

Aug 21, 2006
    Chicago Il
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Man UTD was unlucky really
    Lost Martial and Linngard and had two abysmal mistakes in def

People act like PSG outplayed them

19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Context ...

We have 3 games in 9 days of which this is the middle game, with the EPL being the priority.

With question marks over Lingard and Martial, the point was vs Sanchez there is little downside to playing a couple of alternative younger players or having them on the bench.

We’ve seen a lot more of Sanchez on that wing and we definitely know how that goes ;)

jnielsen and MizzouMUFC repped this.
  20. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  21. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    Disgusting group of fans.

22. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Let's see how the team reacts against a Chelsea team looking for redemption. It won't be easy.

In an FA cup game, I'd throw in Sanchez even if Martial was fit to prove himself one more time. Lukaku needs to start and Rash on the right. Pogba plays with Herrera and Mata at 10.

23. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    I actually agree with you, Jeff, re: Sanchez. Give him one last opportunity. If he can't manage to show something, anything, then relegate him to beneath Chong/Greenwood and give his minutes to the future.

24. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #274 Ashur, Feb 13, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    He clearly has had more than enough opportunities in my opinion. As stated before, thinking he will turn it around somehow belongs to the hope/blind faith realm, at this point . Plus he appears he might be hurt: a pity and kind of rotten timing, but it could end up being a blessing in disguise, which could force Ole's hands, if we're being completely honest.
    Ole doesn't have much to lose and tons to gain at this juncture. How crazy would it be if he chose to just roll the dice and go with some of our youngsters and it ends up paying off. They very well could be the boost we need right now. Bring on Ole's Babes.:cool:

25. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Finally able to digest the game and something jumped out at me that I knew before but this cemented it.

Ole has to be given room to grow IF he is given the job permanently. He is not the finished article anymore that the team currently is so if he is given the job the fans and team hierarchy must be willing to be patient as he grows as well. if that leeway can't be given, then don't give it to him.

Also, no one result should dictate his chances of getting the gig. After each game the same type of discussion ensues (some here but all over the media outlets in particular).

Hopefully the brass is clever enough to look at the body of work over his tenure and not knee jerk it.

Our game management in second half against spurs, arse, and PSG are similar. we need to be quicker to adjust. Actually we need to adjust, period. we are like deer in headlights and this points to inexperience i think.

Finally, re: Matic - he did not have a terrible first half and I thought played decent then. Second half was woeful. though psg dominated possession we had quite a bit of possession after going two down. I might watch the game again but Matic seemed to have had a lot of touches at that point going to the end of hte game as we had a lot of possession (at least it seemed that way). i think we should have taken him off and jammed AH back there and maybe be able to get the ball to Rash and Rom in better positions. Would have been nice to get one back even if we lost eventually.