PBP: UCL - Manchester United FC vs Paris Saint-Germain - Feb 12, 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018

2. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't sleep on Hoarau or Nene either. I was a big fan of those two when they were playing.

jeff070 repped this.
  3. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Riding off into the sunset
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The #7 shirt is almost becoming a poison chalice at this juncture. It's needs to be vacated until someone earns it on merit. We've tried everything from giving it to guys we thought had big futures, to so called established superstar and something in between. All with the same results at the end.
    After Sanchez leaves, it needs to go on the shelf for a while...

4. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    that explains everything

Deadtigers repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Seeing some of the highlights has to be said that Lindelof not the best tonight either. Good learning experience for him though.

jnielsen repped this.
  6. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of CBs, Thiago Silva has showed the value of what a top shelf, veteran one can provide. Another one who was very much on point today. And he's 34...

Gilma1990 and Anonymous_United repped this.
  7. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    The second goal though it was Matic's fault initially, Bailly should always be ahead on that ball.

Mbappé is class. Period.

Rash was shit.

I thought Shaw was alright actually. Young got his side bombarded with Di Maria and Draxler.

8. Naboomagnoli

Naboomagnoli Member+

May 31, 2007
    Pogba needs to be smarter. He could have walked earlier too, and getting the 2nd yellow was needless.

johno, jnielsen and benni... repped this.
  9. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That was a pitiful performance top to bottom. Ref was bad but they were still a lot better. We created basically zero chances.

Ole needs to take some flack for this one. Tactics were poor, he brought on the wrong subs (although forced), and he looked like he had no answer for the changes they made at half.

This is another game that highlights how pathetic we are from the flanks when Martial is not on point. He was awful then got hurt. Sanchez needs to go even if we have to buy him out. He's the worst attacking player on our team, no contest. No only was he poor but he abandoned the left flank and screwed everyone around him. Shaw and Young showed that offensively they are zeros. Young has one good cross, Shaw had zero that were even close to United players. We need upgrades at the fullback position if we want to compete in Europe. Bottom line.

jnielsen repped this.
  10. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    give the 2nd leg to the kids. i.e. Greenwood/Chong or whoever we included in the squad

the Pogba void won't be filled and the fast boys up top probably won't be back so why not

jnielsen repped this.
  11. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    3. I've most likely won my avatar bet with Jeffrey. What should I pick for him?

12. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    You do not want to send a "we give up" message.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Shit you still remember?!

Make it easier than @benni...

14. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    what's your plan then. Mata and Sánchez again?

15. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess Pogs's 2nd yellow was deserved after all... Still a piss poor overall performance from the ref though.
    [​IMG]

MiamiNative0722 repped this.
  16. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Have them on the bench. Go aggressive with a 4-4-2.

De Gea

Dalot
    Bailly
    Lindelof
    Shaw

Herrera
    Matic

Martial (if fit)/Sanchez
    Lingard

Rash
    Lukaku

17. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    This team needs 3-4 seasons of continues CL football to progress. Dont want to turn into transfer thread but we need to add quality in many positions. OGS and many players will learn from this defeat going forward. PSG had experience and quality playrrs to play in many diff setups and they showed that tonight.

jnielsen repped this.
  18. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The tactics were fine IMO.

We just lost it with the execution by the front three both halves and with our defending on a set-piece for the first (hardly something new).

Getting in the spaces when they play their normal front three is what has cost them at this stage of the CL before. So agree with a few of the BT pundits in that it actually helped them losing Neymar for the away leg and possibly Cavani too.

It meant they played just one up top and were therefore focused on being solid and defending as a unit.

Made the first goal crucial and that (along with the injuries) was really the turning point.

jnielsen repped this.
  19. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  20. incighte

incighte Red Card

May 1, 2016
    Matic actually had a good game today. Europe may be his place in this squad beyond this season. In that light, I thought Herrera struggled for us - and it's almost like a kickback to the early Fergie years and the lessons he learned about European football. He played well once PSG started to sit back, but I thought he was a liability when the game was open and PSG were at our necks.

It's frustrating being a British team in Europe. Our players are conditioned to play through contact, whereas in other leagues the players are protected at the slightest sniff. We'd be solid in 10th if we dove and acted the way their players did today. I found myself shouting at Pogba to go down today because him playing through contact was just waiting for shit to go bad - - - and I find that appalling about myself now!

******** AdM. I hope we stick one, or ten, in on him. I had a lot of respect for him coming into this game, but goading our supporters after they scored sat wrong with me. He flopped here and then forced a move by not turning up for pre-season training - if he was expecting any sort of fond welcome then he's a delusional twat.

21. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As his post match interview and presser attest to, Ole is saying the right things at least and he appears to be in a fighting spirit. Now we see what he's really made of and let's see how that translates with Chelsea, then Pool coming up.
    The health of Lingard and Martial is key though.

Anonymous_United repped this.
  22. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always hated the baby-skinned douchebag.

23. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I don't understand the hate for Di Maria at all. One of my favorite players while he was Madrid. He came to United and it didn't work out. Call him a selfish prick, mentally weak, whatever. I just know that if I were in a similar situation, playing sporadically, and forced into an unfamiliar role that didn't allow me to be the player I knew I was cable of being, I would leave too. Very little to do with the fans or the club.

Right player, wrong time for me.

thenamestsam repped this.
  24. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    shit luck we managed to lose Jesse and Martial today.

like they didn't warm up properly or something. if that's the case poor on them.

could be the lack of rotation too but imo they haven't clocked that many minutes. were we really that unfit under José?

25. Ashur

Ashur Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    May 31, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really not trying to hear the being played out of position excuse for ADM. It's an issue for the simple reason that things did not work out for him, let's be clear about it. I don't see any complaints when he was being played in different/unfamiliar positions whether it was a Real or with PSG.
    Van Gaal's style of play did not suit him (like it didn't others as well), that's fine. Bottom line remains that ADM realized quickly he did not want to be in Manchester, probably because it's not as pretty a city as Madrid, Lisbon (or Paris incidentally), plus he hated the weather, so he took the first chance he could to dip.
    Again, perfectly his prerogative and the fact that his house was broken into did not help matters either, I get that. But at the end of the day, he proved to be too weak to be a United player, so whatever.
    And today he proved what a twat he is: he took abuse and was booed, but that comes with the territory and it's not like he was the first either. His reaction to it and talk shit to the crowd was as low class as they come. He had the perfect rebuttal to all the stick he took (and his revenge of sorts for what happened way back when) with how the game was unfolding for his team, but especially for him (as he was having himself a very good game). Could and should have taken the high road, instead he chose to act the way he did. To hell with ADM: never missed him after he left...